• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Re: Medication for Bipolar

S

skyblue

Re: Medication for Bipolar

I was wondering, do people here continously take there medication and will do for life ?
Or do you take the medication given to you during an episode, then once stable discontinue ?

emski

emski

Think it varies hun. My current regime is lithium, quetiapine, which I have been on just over a year since my last 'serious episode'. They say with lithium for best treatment it is used to treat episode then as a maintenance treatment, few years even. I'm not sure if it's the same for other mood stabilisers.

How come skyblue?

S

skyblue

Well, to be honest I want to come off the medication as soon as. I want to be medication free - fit and healthy.

I've been taking various different medications for 17 years and I'm a bit tired of it all (was diagnosed with Bipolar 4yrs ago). The recent medication has worked for me when going through an episode (last summer 2009), but I am now stable and feel well.

My PDoc believes I should be taking Depakote for afew years. I don't understand why, I have been feeling very well for the past few months and I don't think I need it, including the Seroquel.

I've recently discontinued the Depakote and I can honestly say that I feel so much better and I've halved the Seroquel from 300 to 150mg. Seroquel has never been a problem for me, I haven't noticed any side effects at all, it has helped me a great deal with the depression side of Bipolar, but right now I just feel that I don't need it anymore.

My PDoc said that apparently the episodes get worse as time goes by, is this true ? If so, well... that is slightly worrying, only how does anybody know another will 'ever' happen again ?

I don't know - I just want out with mental illness, I'm just fed up with it. I want and have started to change my life around.
I used to have many issues aside of Bipolar (but they've now been sorted), I feel happier and healthier than I've ever been.

I feel so positive about my life now, I have new goals that I want to achieve, I'm really getting back into the fitness world and I love it. This is probably what's made me think about it all, aiming to become fit again.

I want to be able to control my Bipolar without any medication and having thought about it a great deal, I really do think I can do this.

What's your thoughts Emski ?

:flowers:

emski

emski

Honestly skyblue, I don't know. It's up to you and how you feel. When I was on Depakote I thought I was ok to come off it (and some other stuff) but it didn't work out for me then. I'm no way saying that will be the case for you, since I really wasn't ready to and you seem to be. From my point of view, I'm not thinking about coming off my lithium just yet, but I will do one day once I've been stable for a good period of time. My quetiapine I willl come off sooner I imagine, but I do find it useful right now.

"My PDoc said that apparently the episodes get worse as time goes by, is this true ? If so, well... that is slightly worrying, only how does anybody know another will 'ever' happen again ?"

I think your pdocs attitude is the worrying bit. Yes, ok, supposedly lifelong disorders episodic in nature - but who knows you might never have another episode and let's hope you don't!

If you are feeling well now then it's up to you what you do in terms of medication and controlling bipolar. Good luck with it (y) and you always have the forum as part of your toolkit for doing it med free! :hug:

?

>.<

Hi Skyblue :)

It depends. I was told that I'd need to take seroquel (quetiapine) for at least 2 years with a mood stabaliser as well possibly. However I hate taking meds, so I just took it during my really bad suicidal episode (last summer 09) and after that I stopped taking it, and I felt SO much better when I stopped. It sort of muted my creativity and made me feel "dead" inside, and just...didn't suit me. I stopped it against the advice of my pdoc, and I'm glad I did. I haven't been as stable as I could have been, but I haven't been self harming anymore and I have't been manic, so I'm doing ok.

It's different for everyone though, so it depends. Maybe see a different pdoc and get a second opinion? Hope this helps :hug:

dib4uk

dib4uk

to be honest i dont really know. As long as it takes maybe...it's scarey to think that i'm on this medication for life.