Rapidly progressing dementia

L

Lyria90

My dad's been ill with dementia near 2 years now and he's rapidly gone downhill. Mam died 2 years ago and it's like he just gave up.
He has major trouble communicating which ends in him becoming fairly aggressive.
Today he's been extremely confused agitated and angry. Would this be worth a trip to the hospital, he's been a lot worse this past week and the bank are threatening to evict us as he's on the mortgage and can't speak so I imagine the stress isn't helping.
I dunno if he needs the hospital or if its worth waiting for the doctor?

angry butterfly

angry butterfly

You need to get power of attorney. I dont know the ins and outs of it, I would think gp would be best place to start with. They would help regards help from social services and whatever help you need.
Thats if it's the same in Ireland idk.

L

Lyria90

Unfortunately we are told he's too far gone to be able to make decisions like that so we are kinda in limbo at the mo. I do have a hospital letter stating he is ill and can no longer make decisions or care for himself so I'm hoping the bank will at least hear me out with that. They said we have to go the ward of court route.
I just don't want something horrible to happen in regards to his sudden confusion

angry butterfly

angry butterfly

You must do what you think is best regarding his medical care. Try and get the legal situation sorted, that will help all of you. I hope it's not too differcult, this sort of thing must happen all the time. There must be procedures. Though having said that things are seldom straightforward these days. Do you have citizens advice bureau in ireland or something similar, they could help.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

hi,

there will be Carers Associations who can help you and give advice.

I'm truly surprised no one thought about all this stuff when he was diagnosed.

Just another symptom of the medical system I suppose.

anyway get in touch with whatever Carers organisations are local, you will find a lot, you can go to court and petition for Power of Attorney on his behalf.

L

Lyria90

We've been to citizens information, legal aid, solicitors, no one seems to have any answer.
he's on sertraline atm but I believe it's losing effect.
He sometimes says he wants to die and would prefer to just drop dead which is very upsetting

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
We've been to citizens information, legal aid, solicitors, no one seems to have any answer.
he's on sertraline atm but I believe it's losing effect.
He sometimes says he wants to die and would prefer to just drop dead which is very upsetting
You'll get very little proper help. You either care for him within your own resources & capacity or leave him to the ravages of services that are largely shit.

If you do the care you firstly need to see an independent solicitor to take out financial & medical LPA.

People with dementia need everything doing for them from a certain stage & people with them 24 / 7.

Every aspect of their care & needs has to be considered & catered to.

L

Lyria90

Yeah I find no one really gives a crap about our situation, it's devastating losing mam nan and now essentially dad within 2 years

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeah I find no one really gives a crap about our situation, it's devastating losing mam nan and now essentially dad within 2 years
Yea, i could write volumes of books on it all. Sorry to hear of your loss.

It's the realities of the current society / system.

A lot i think depends on the overall dedication & capacity of the people around the person with dementia. There are ways of dealing with it all & navigating the system, But it's very tough.

i don't know you or your circumstances? There are options, But you need to decide if you want to care for him at home with all that entails, or go down the route of state care / home.

A lot is money. It's complex to sort everything out with it all.

If you want to send a PM & i can try & best give more specific advice from my own experience, But it depends on what you want to do around it all?

L

Lyria90

Seeing as he's becoming increasingly more violent and there's a baby in the house I think he's very close to going into a home.
it breaks my heart thinking about it because he doesn't deserve it after all he's been through with mam being sick and then dying, he keeps thinking he's going to get better and then when reality hits him it cripples him.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
My Nan had dementia we cared for her at home for as long as we could, she had to go into a nursing home.
I am so sorry for your loss, sorry theirs not more help available.
Good luck with everything
Take care

M

MelissaKay

My dad's been ill with dementia near 2 years now and he's rapidly gone downhill. Mam died 2 years ago and it's like he just gave up.
He has major trouble communicating which ends in him becoming fairly aggressive.
Today he's been extremely confused agitated and angry. Would this be worth a trip to the hospital, he's been a lot worse this past week and the bank are threatening to evict us as he's on the mortgage and can't speak so I imagine the stress isn't helping.
I dunno if he needs the hospital or if its worth waiting for the doctor?
You definitely need to get a POA, I've unfortunately been through all this before. I also had to get a note from the doctor stating he was unable to care for himself. This is all part of the dementia... the agitation and anger. The hospital will just send you home stating he has dementia and is having a bad day. I would start looking into programs what will help you with care and finances. I found Patriot Angels for my dad, he was approved to receive a pension to help pay for a nursing home, unfortunately he didn't make it out of the hospital.