• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

rapid cycling

ali

ali

Hi guys, I saw the top physc for my area today and i FINALLY have a diagnosis for what i have..... I am now a member of the rapid cycling bipolar disorder group :confused: any one else that has this please get in touch..... i have also been put on new meds .... serequel (quetintine or something to that effect) XL.... and another drug which is a mood stabilizer..... any one on the XL drug please let me know how they make you feel .... i really dont like it when they change my meds ......

:mad:

emski

emski

Hi ali,

I have bipolar too, and I when I was diagnosed I was rapid cycling. I was put on quetiapine for this, but I'm afraid I didn't tolerate the drug too well (my blood pressure dropped very low and it made me faint) so I got put on Depakote. Sorry I can't be of more help about quetiapine. Others will be along soon

In the meantime, keep posting :grouphug:

ali

ali

hi emski, i also got put on depokot.!!!!!! what is that like ???? ....... thanks for your help makes me so happy knowing that i am not the only one out there with these problems

xx

emski

emski

Hey ali. Depakote seems to have worked quite well for me, and it's often combined with quetiapine, which makes it more effective. There can be side effects as with any psychiatric medicine. I haven't many apart from a bit of weight gain and apathy and flattening of emotions (which for me was partly a good thing as before my emotions were as unstable as my mood). Just be prepared with Depakote that it takes a few weeks to kick in. Usually it is started off at a lower dose and gradually increased to reduce the likelihood of side effects.

How are you feeling anyway? :hug:

D

Dollit

I've been on Depakote as part of a clinical trial group and it just didn't have enough of an effect for me. I also take seroquel from time to time if my depression doesn't budge.

I have ultradian bipolar (a vicious form of rapid cycling) and find it really hard to cope with when I'm in crisis. I change mood in seconds as it is so it can be extremely wearing. But it is possible to stablise for decent periods of time.

jax

jax

I am on seroquel - but not XR. I am guessing that is a slow release? I am on 800 mgs of seroquel. I started on 50 mgs and it was increased every 3 days or so. I have to say - it was extremely sedating. I had to fight to keep my eyes open. If you're on the slow release - that should not be a problem for you.
Dollit, I have ultra-radian cycling too. It is horrid and is pretty bad at the minute. I see my Pdoc in 2 weeks and i am going to ask her about a medicine change. We'll see what happens.

D

Dollit

Jax - I'm currently on 1 gram of lithium and 100 mg of lamotrigine and it seems to be working for me. Odd day when things don't go as I'd like (today for example) but mostly better than I've been for a long time.

lucid scream

lucid scream

i have been on seroquel for years, but am changing it due to the wieght gain, but it works well for me. i was recently started on abilify and akm titrating down on the seroquel. abilify seems to be working great and i am much less sedated than when onb seroquel. i am also on lamotrigine which is a great drug for me as well.
i also took depakote for a short time and it did nothing for me. but we are all different. thats one reason there are so many different drugs for the same things-that and money and patents.

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
Hi. I just saw my psydoc today and he says i have rapid cycling bipolar and has put my quertipine up to 600mg and when i see him next week he is going to add in lamotrogine(not sure of spelling). I have never had a mood stabiliser but i hope it does the job.