• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Rapid Cycling Mood Disorder

icetsunami

icetsunami

Founding Member
Hi
I was just looking for some general information on RCMD and it seems it keeps getting listed as a form of bi-polar, typically about four mood cycles in a year. I have an extensive psychiatric history and have been diagnosed with an extreme form of RCMD which, when I am ill, can consist of dozens of cycles in a day. I have been told by my psych that I don't have bi-polar disorder and that my form is a seperate disorder. Does anyone else have similar issues? Incidentally I take a high dose of Depakote morning and night. I also have OCD and depression, which is nice. :rolleyes:

D

Dollit

I've never heard of rapid mood cycling as anything other than a sub group of bipolar disorder. What sort of moods do you cycle?

icetsunami

icetsunami

Founding Member
It tends to be a fluctuation between low mood, anger and anxiety. The mood swings can be literally seconds apart. Even the slightest thing can set one off such as an advert on tv or the look someone has. Its very weird indeed.

D

Dollit

Anger and anxiety can be present in the so called "highs" of Bipolar. I get no elation in mania. I get angry and frustrated, irritable and I can get anxious as a result of the changes.

ali

ali

hi

hi, i also am on a high dose of depokote and also a high dose of serequel.. i as you have many mood swings during each day but they are getting better thanks to my meds...... i have only been diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar disorder ( with a bit of phycosis).... i wonder what else they think it is ???? what has you phyc said they think it might be????

take care

ali

icetsunami

icetsunami

Founding Member
My other meds are Fluoxetine 60mg which treats the OCD and depression. I have had literally dozens of medicative regimes but RCMD seems to the best diagnosis and Depakote the best treatment. There as also been mention in my history of PD but I haven't had it formally diagnosed. It seems as always that I present a complex set of needs as do a lot of other I imagine?

ali

ali

indeed everyone does dont they??? i mean all the mood swings you describe how can they all be put under one title??? i cant sleep even with 600mg of serequel in my body because ' bad things will haunt me if i sleep' (or thats what the lady in my head says)!!!!! i think most people who have bi polar have really complex underlying problems that just cant be fixed ........ what do you think ?

x

D

Dollit

I don't think there's such a thing as a straightforward diagnosis because we're complex people. I really am curious about how your diagnosis was reached though. I can see me doing some digging around on this. Depakote is a good drug - I took it as part of a trial and then my hair went from curly to really curly when I stopped taking it. A very fun side effect!

icetsunami

icetsunami

Founding Member
I think it was a case of several years trial and error, lots of different meds, cbt, psychotherapy and eventually me being honest about what was going on. We are all similar in only the fact we have 2 arms, 2 legs and a head. I think it helps to push your doctor though. The last 2 I've had have been excellent and I can hold my own in discussing my mental health in professional and diagnostic terms. The 2 things that always seem to go in your favour are having intelligent insight into your illness and being able to contextualize the impact of your illness. The outcome though is that medicine still lacks the understanding of mental illness. Whilst we can almost master physical symptoms and work on a genetic level, there are still 'umbrella' terms which cover mental illness in the most generic and ambiguous ways. The relative and fundamental lack of understanding does nothing to alleviate the discrimination faced by service users. We are only scratching the surface of mental health and I am sure ths leaves a lot of you feel frustrated and isolated.

jax

jax

I have mentioned here that I too have a form of rapid cycling called ultra-radian cycling. I can cycle many times in one day. Like you Ice, I too can have a mood swing with just watching a movie. Mostly I swing from mania or almost mania (Which can be extreme elation or the irritability) to very highs, high and rarely the depressions. The irritability is actually getting a lot worse now. I had only experienced it a number of times over the last 3 years. Nowadays - it is happening more and more. It is upsetting me a lot as I am snapping and doing saying things that are completely out of character. I am usually very laid back and understanding - but now that doesn't always happen. I hate it as I feel so awful when I do or say something or react a way I would never normally do.

My cycling has never been fully under control. For the past three years I've been stable for no longer than a month reckon - possibly a little longer. It often makes me feel out of control. I am on Epilm which is similar to Depakote. It too has made my hair curl :scared: Well - I say curl - go a little kinky would be more accurate. I think it is my lithium that make me throw-up a lot. The seroquel has helped make me fat! Joys of taking medications!!

S

SKY

Hi Ice
Im pretty new here but totally agree nobody seems to be quite sure what anybody really has!I recently got told by my gp he feels I have bi polar disorder but im still waiting to see the psychiatrist.I thought thats ok i'll go and check out the web see what I can find out and if theres any ways I can help myself in the mean time.almost every site i read contradicts the other!I no longer know what counts as high or low for example irritated frustrated edgy and fed up I would say was low with by body reacting oddly but i think that it may actually be high i think of high as happy and some describe it as that I have no idea what anything is anymore im more confused than i was to start with! Im desperate to see psychiatrist now god i wish i hadnt typed that now ill be spelling it all damn night! it goes in good groups of 3!anyway I seem to be going on a bit but maybe you should ask ur doc if they can reccomend any books you can read on the disorder perhaps that will be clearer though remember that again it depends who has written the book how they will suggest you deal with it for example freudian methods or cbt
i empathise greatly this is a pain when you just want to know about a part of you you just dont get!
xx

jax

jax

Sky,
My understanding of high is a lot more than 'happy'. When I am high - I am 'too happy' extremely happy.I am very loud. People say I am a lot of fun. I laugh at nothing. I talk a mile a minute. I jump from topic to topic. I feel wonderful. When I am manic - these things are X 100.

I am generally a very happy person. Happy is my normal mood. That is not high though. Many, many people are happy - yet not high. When I am high or manic my mood is much more happy to an extreme. I can and do the most dangerous and out of character things. I am dis-inhibited. The list goes on and on. I've recently began to have the irritable highs too. They are not pleasant at all. I never was one to get irritable. I hate it when I do as it is just not how I am.

The thing with Bipolar is that everyone is an individual - how I may be when I am high will not necessarily be the same as someone else. Despite the fact that there are a list of symptoms attached to Bipolar - we all experience these in our own way. Well - that's what I've experienced with years in and out of psychiatric hospitals and seeing a lot of Bipolars. :eek:
Jacqui

D

Dollit

The key thing to remember with bipolar is that whatever extreme you're in it magnifies those characteristics that are normal. So if you're a happy person on your normal scale you will become elated. I'm pretty much grounded but don't suffer fools gladly so I'm more likely to get bad tempered, huge ego and extremely loud and angry in a "high".

It's about finding out who you are rather than what bipolar isn't.

N

nutbar

Wow, thank you Dollit for those words of wisdom. I am new to all this as I just took the first step and went to the doctor today (referred on to psych nurse, appt Friday).

What you said about mania amplifying your personality traits really made sense of things for me, I was scratching my head wondering if all the 'interesting' things about me were all just symptoms of an illness after all and I would be boring if I controlled the symptoms through medication or therapy. What you said has put things into perspective for me, thank you so much.

icetsunami

icetsunami

Founding Member
The looking inward thing may sound a bit philosophical but it is certainly true. I always found the biggest problem with self evaluation/analysis is that you tend to try too hard to classify yourself. Whether you call it a box or a label or whatever, you are a person. Look past the symptoms and you get greater insight. Its not about some cathartic zen moment but being comfortable with who you are and not beng afraid of your illness. Of course everyone is different which is what makes us special. :cool:

Good luck for friday Nutbar.

Last edited: