• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Rapid Cycling BAD, Euphoric and Dysphoric Mania

E

eternitybeckons

Hi
I'm new to this forum and just wanted to intoduce myself.
I'm in my forties and was diagnosed with bipolar last Oct 2009. Not too much of a shock you would think as both my father and grandmother had it. Never in a million years did I think I had it as I thought it was all about depression and I'm mostly manic, mainly euphoric and dysphoric.
The mental health team were amazing. They gave me the option of being closely monitored for a while or going on meds. I was asked to research all the available drugs and decide for myself which one I would like. I looked at Olanzapine because of my olifactory hallucinations (burning smells) but decided on Depakote as I didn't want to be putting loads of weight on. I take 500mg twice a day and do have an upset tummy most days but it's not too bad. My hair is thinning a little too. I keep trying to reduce the dose but every time I do I have a bad week at work and start being facetious and behave inappropriately.
I think I am coping very well mainly due to my increased exercise - cycling 5-10 miles almost every day and walking for an hour or more. This helps reduce the sexual tension which is ever present when you've got hypersexuality. Counselling sessions have helped me tremendously with this and to cope with my obsessions and pervasive thoughts. Changing my diet also helped. Less caffeine, more water, more fruit & veg, less fat, less sugar and regular meals.
That's more than enough about me.
I would like to support others who have similar issues with their bipolar. It's very difficult for people to understand what you are going through if they don't have the disorder.
eternitybeckons

B

Blondie

Welcome to the bored.Sounds like you have been through the mill.Your experiences could bring a lot to the bored to.

E

eternitybeckons

Cheers Blondie,
Like a lot of others, reading through some of the threads is like reading my life story. I think there must be a lot more bipolar people out there than have been diagnosed. How much easier it is to understand yourself once you know what's wrong with you. I know I've still got a long way to go as I've only been on meds for 7 months but they are helping a bit.