• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

ralph1

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
Welcome

Welcome to everybody who visits us. We hope that this forum will be of use to eveybody who has questions about mental health, how they are feeling or to express a view about something or to ask for others views. Welcome to all users, friends, relatives, proffesionals. If a question is asked we will try to answer it openly and honestly but we are not proffessionals, we are service users with a passion.

Alice and Ralph :welcome:

M

maudikie

Alice & Ralph.

Welcoe. I have been a carer dor many years, and would be pleased to receive any messages. I can only communicate by E-mail as I have arthritis.
Best wishes, and I hope you have some success with your venture.

M

maudikie

Long "conversation" re:- Glenbourne.

There is an error inasmuch as I have never been to Glenourne, and didn't know of its existence.
I am fortuate in having a supportive family for my son who suffers, and who has the sense to take his medication. He is far from idle, but tends to "flit" from pillar to post. He can't do the thngs he is doing for any time that would be sustainable in open employment. His brother and family keep him occupied, and when he has done enough he "crashes" and sleeps. and wakens up much refreshed and ready to do something else.
He is very kind and supportive to me now that I am immobile. I think that having been ill himself has given him some insight into how other ill people feel.
I DO recommend www.schizophreniawatch. It is most useful for new carers and patients, and continues with the theories of others who in the past have been psychiatrists.
The only cheer I can offer is that schizophrenia is very disabling, but fluctuates. If the family are understanding (Low E.E.) This is a great help.
They should learn all they can about the condition and then it will help them to cope. There is a great deal of research going on about schizophrenia particularly in the U.S. There is a genetic factor, which may not show in either sibs. or parents. I agree with one of the correspondents who says people do not have time. This is particularly important as the communication network in the brainis a little slower than"normal" whatever that may be. BUT it does not mean that the patient is unintelligent. In fact many have high intellgence, but need time, and quiet to help sort out their thinking processes.

Incidentally Corwall now h as some groups going. But I think a group needs a professional to help and direct them to where they can best get help. They now also have a weekly break for carers in Cornwall. Perhaps this might be
something for the Plymouth group to aim for.

First try the PCT - no first look at www,schizophrneiawatch then get to the PCT, then if nothing is forthcoming get too the Local health Authority.

All best wishes to the Plymouth Group and everyone else concerned.

Maudikie.

M

maudikie

From maudikie.

What a kerfuffle in the airlines. I am glad I have nobody on holiday in foreign parts. My eldest son has travelled a lot before his first wife died of breast cancer, He is now happily married again, and fortunately his job is pretty safe.
I have a granny flat with him, and my sch.son has his own room en suite. So we have made as many arrangements for the future as possible. I hate being immobile s I was always active. I love gardening, but can't do it now, but I knit and crochet, mostly hats for a charity in London. I think the count is now 50+! I am fortunate in having a caring family.
Cheers, and it's nice to hear from you.:)

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
What a kerfuffle in the airlines. I am glad I have nobody on holiday in foreign parts. My eldest son has travelled a lot before his first wife died of breast cancer, He is now happily married again, and fortunately his job is pretty safe.
I have a granny flat with him, and my sch.son has his own room en suite. So we have made as many arrangements for the future as possible. I hate being immobile s I was always active. I love gardening, but can't do it now, but I knit and crochet, mostly hats for a charity in London. I think the count is now 50+! I am fortunate in having a caring family.
Cheers, and it's nice to hear from you.:)
Isnt it good to be old and wrinklee once in a while, But I hate gardening and crochet.:D

M

maudikie

Nice to hear from you again Ralph. but I think you must be keeping the firms who make the sun-block cream in business!!

{There is in true beauty, as in courage, somewhat which narrow souls cannot dare to admire.( WILLIAM CONGRAVE - THE OLD BATCHELOR) 1693