• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Radon exposure health anxiety

C

Chad123

Lived in my current house for about 4.5 years, and I just learned about high radon. The basement tested for 16 PCL and the upstairs tested for 7-8 PCL!

My anxiety over it is so high. The good news is I just got a clear chest X-ray but I’m so scared what it’s going to do to my long term health. I don’t use the basement but the upstairs I’m always in which was 8 PCL.

it’s getting fixed tomorrow but I'm not sure who else to turn to about my long term health concerns. I have no one to talk to about it . Any feedback would be awesome. Here’s a link below. I’m not a smoker so the risk are fairly low but I feel so anxious about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Hopefully you will be ok long term

C

compsciguyo

How are you holding up? I’m suffering from the same intense anxiety due to very similar circumstances. Been living in house for 5 years on the dot. Never knew about radon when we purchased our home (we’re originally from Texas and our realtor and home inspector didn’t harp on it and unfortunately my wife and I didn’t pursue due to lack of knowledge). I recently came across an article about radon risks and “never smokers” and nearly fainted when I read that radon was the second leading cause of lung cancer. I immediately purchased a home radon monitor and found 8 PCL in our unfinished basement and
around 3.8 on first floor living area! My wife and I do laundry in the basement and I have a 3 year old that hangs out in the first floor, so I feel like I’ve doomed my family! I just can’t shake it. We have our remediation scheduled for next week, but I’m soo upset that it’s affecting my work and I’m having physical responses like very clammy hands, loss of appetite, and even (embarrassingly) body odor. And I don’t care what the EPA’s arbitrary 4 cut off is, according to literature it’s best to limit exposure as much as possible (linear no-threshold radiation model). If there’s anything you’ve done to help get past this, I could use some pointers.

C

Chad123

@compsciguyo I am sorry to hear you are going through this now also. I totally understand the anxiety part. I was extremely anxious for weeks. I even rented a hotel until the radon company fixed the issue. With that being said after much research I learned about the actual data.

Exposure is broken down into WLM which is working level months. Even at my high levels my WLM is about 9-13. That is spending 16 hours in the house. This is considered very low and my true exposure may actually be less. High risk is usually seen at over 100 WLM. Like you mentioned obviously the lower exposure the better. But radon risk are measured over a lifetime which is 70 years of continued exposure. With that being said we have low exposure. I have been eating extremely healthy and never smoked. So if you are a smoker cut that out asap.

I also watched this video which helped me a great deal. Check it out. It is broken into 4 parts. This helped my anxiety a lot and understanding.

C

compsciguyo

Thank you soo much for those pointers — I’ll check them out asap. My wife and I are never smokers so I hope that helps our odds a bit. I’m unfamiliar with the WLM measure but will look more into it. Again, thanks for your message. I’m struggling, but will power through until Wednesday when our mitigation is scheduled. I’m trying to view this finding as a positive — we found an issue and are rectifying it, instead of a nasty guilt trip about the past, which no one can change. But it’s sooo hard when you’re I. The thick of it. Wish we weee more knowledgeable about this stuff before, but can’t change that now