• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Quotes that help a lot....

T

telemetry9

" never explain - your friends don't need it and your enemies will never believe you anyway."

"there is no such thing as a mistake - only lessons to be learned."

"never compare yourself to others - someone will always be better or worse than you are; never the same as."

"no one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another." (charles dickens).

"religion is for people who are afraid to go to hell - spirituality is for those who have already been there."

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." (Anne Frank, diary of a young girl).

Last edited:
K

Kate31

Hi,

thanks for your encouraging quotes - i often find reading/sticking them on post-it notes round the house helps when i'm having a rough day..

here's on that has helped me a lot: "weak people cannot get sever depression because they give up long before they get to that point"

from Dr tim Cantopher's amazing book on depressive illness:curse of the strong - that book helped me survive 3 months in priory last year - he explains depression in a way that i've never heard before - most of the ward were reading it - the bloke trained with my psychiatrist (Dr Milln) from marchwood Priory so i also knew that he was trustworthy...

Found cbt for dummies helpful too - although quotes are easier when your brain is struggling to concentrate...

best wishes
kate

T

telemetry9

Hello Kate,

Your quote "weak people cannot get severe depression because they give up long before they get to that point" made me laugh this morning. Thank you for that. :)

You are right - quotes are easier to digest and can sometimes be a thousand words and multiple experiences distilled in one sentence. That is why they help me.

I must look at the book you mention. I've only read one book on depression - which was: The noonday demon by andrew solomon. It felt cold and dark but that could have been how I was feeling at that time.

best wishes
robert.

A

Ainsworth

i love the Anne Frank quote, in fact i love all her quotes, they are amazing and strong

T

telemetry9

She was and is an inspiration.

Have you ever heard of Ricky Gervais and the joke he made about her? I thought it was reprehensible - but people love him and think he's funny. To me it just showed him up for what he is.

A

Ainsworth

he's not a funny person anyway! dont watch him.

another quote from Anne Frank, there were so many to chose from but settled for this one.

In spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart. I simply can't build up my hopes on a foundation consisting of confusion, misery and death.
even in her most darkest moments, she still showed compassion and hope

T

telemetry9

I like that. She really did care about the world and the wider well being and future of humanity. She was a remarkable person and I am sure that she knows and is surprised by how much her thoughts and feelings are shared by so many of us.

J

Just-ME

a quote i found consoling as i had had a breakdown a couple of years ago:

"the buddhists tell us in order to find yourself, you have to lose your mind first"

this quote was in a book i would recommend called "shoot the damn dog" by sally bramton.

K:)

T

timamu

• No matter how happily a woman may be married, it always pleases her to discover that there is a nice man who wishes that she were not. - H. L. Mencken
  • When you're experimenting, you have to try so many things before you choose what you want, that you may go days getting nothing but exhaustion. And here is the reward for perseverance: The higher up you go, the more mistakes you are allowed. Right at the top, if you make enough of them, it's considered to be your style. - Fred Astaire
  • Life goes by rapidly. Don't delay. Don't put it off. Don't wait until you have some spare time. Don't wait until the time's "right". - Ken Keyes
  • Self-esteem is felt even though you may not have done anything yet, but just feel the capability for it. - Denis Waitley
  • You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who can do nothing for them or to them. - Malcolm Forbes
  • If you want to catch the right mental attitude, go where that attitude exists. Start by going to the people who have the right mental attitude. If the right people aren't always available, then go the right book, or to the right recording of a dynamic speaker. - Zig Ziglar
  • Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine. - Anthony J. D'Angelo
  • Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day. - Author Unknown
  • If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it. - Mary Engelbreit
  • I don't think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains. - Anne Frank
  • Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough. Oprah Winfrey
  • If you're able to be yourself, then you have no competition. All you have to do is get closer and closer to that essence. Barbara Cook
  • Simplicity is making the journey of this life with just baggage enough. Anon