• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Quitting a Job You Hate

L

LokiPokey75

So I work two part-time jobs -- one at a book store, the other as an English/Reading tutor. I wasn't making much at the book store and I recently quit (I live at home so I don't have to worry about paying rent.)

I know in my gut I made the right decision. While the people were nice enough, there were no growth opportunities, it was low pay, and it was stressing me out for so little in return. I eventually grew to hate it.

Then today, I looked up articles about staying with a job you hate, growing comfortable with it so you can understand yourself better. I've never been very good at making peace with something I can't stand, but those articles are making me look at my job differently. It makes me wonder if I should have pushed myself to stay and learned to adapt to frustrating customers and poor communication.

Have you ever done something like that? Did you find it helped? When did you decide it was time to quit your job?

90s_cat

90s_cat

I think it sounds like you made a good choice for yourself. We seem to be sort of socially conditioned to not let go of a job when we have one, no matter what.

I worked as an office admin years ago, I stayed for about 3 years even though I struggled and was unhappy. I made next to no money but was expected to do the most work, and I was constantly stressed. I was so relieved when I quit that job, I never regretted it.

Quitting a job you don't like and taking care of yourself is a really good life lesson, too; you learn a lot about yourself when decide to prioritize your well being.

Ben32

Ben32

So I work two part-time jobs -- one at a book store, the other as an English/Reading tutor. I wasn't making much at the book store and I recently quit (I live at home so I don't have to worry about paying rent.)

I know in my gut I made the right decision. While the people were nice enough, there were no growth opportunities, it was low pay, and it was stressing me out for so little in return. I eventually grew to hate it.

Then today, I looked up articles about staying with a job you hate, growing comfortable with it so you can understand yourself better. I've never been very good at making peace with something I can't stand, but those articles are making me look at my job differently. It makes me wonder if I should have pushed myself to stay and learned to adapt to frustrating customers and poor communication.

Have you ever done something like that? Did you find it helped? When did you decide it was time to quit your job?
Perhaps it's a case of detaching yourself mentally from the job? by that I mean, viewing it as a means to an end. Go there, do the work, tolerate the rude customers, and forget about it when you finish. Easier said than done I know, but for low pay and high stress, maybe you cared too much?

I always think that something can only be stressful if you care a lot about it. The more you care, the more stressful. I'm certainly not advocating poor performance in your job, just doing what is required with no emotional connection.

2Much2Feel

I've quit more jobs than I can count. I have to say, for the ones where they expected a lot for little in return and no real light at the end of the tunnel/opportunity for growth, I wonder why I stayed so long, let myself be that unhappy for so long. Life is short, and jobs take up so much of us, that if you don't have to do it, it is nice to be able to just be done with it and find something that makes you happier. I'm thinking on it now, and I don't think there are any that I regret quitting. I stuck it out in ones I hated that led to better jobs, which is a good reason to stay, they can get better over time sometimes. But yeah, I think you made the right decision. Jobs just take too much of us to stay in one that's making you unhappy.

HLon99

HLon99

Life is short, and jobs take up so much of us, that if you don't have to do it, it is nice to be able to just be done with it and find something that makes you happier.
Absolutely right. Find a job that you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

L

LokiPokey75

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for all your responses! It’s very sweet to hear so much encouragement from you all.

With my situation it’s tough because I’ve never worked full time before. I’m concerned about my ability to because I suffer with OCD and depression. It concerns my parents too and our relationship is tense at the moment. I can’t turn the tutoring into a full-time gig so I’m left trying to fill a part-time slot because I don’t want to give up the tutoring. It’s made quitting the one job easier and harder at the same time. I’m not completely unemployed, but I’m also not making enough.

I believe now I can work full-time, but split between two jobs. I’m concerned I won’t find that second job I enjoy. My dad also believes I should have stayed at the book store until I found something better. Maybe he’s right.

How did you deal with negative reactions when you quit?

M

Mistral

Just because some people boast about how they do jobs that they enjoy, it does not mean that you are in any way less of a person because you do not enjoy your job. In fact enjoying your job is not as common as you think.

Yes you hear celebrities and millionaires say that they get paid to do something they love doing. This is picked up by the media because it is unusual. If they only did it to pay the bills it would not be newsworthy. In fact would they really do it if it did not provide them with any money? Also some people are just lucky in that the first job they get is just something which they like.

L

LokiPokey75

Hey guys! Thanks again.

I had an epiphany last night about my job. If I’m going to stay at something I hate, it better be worth the hassle. And I know this job is not. Other than a steady income and some flexibility, it doesn’t give me back enough to be worth putting in the effort.

This is my last week there, and while I’m really scared I won’t find another job, staying was just not worth it to me, no matter what my parents might think of me.

Wish me luck in my job search!

S

strawberrywater

ACCOUNT CLOSED
If you felt it was the right decision for you, then it was. Always listen to yourself. There's no reason to stay at a job you hate, unless of course you need the paycheck (but in that case, it's best to start a job search while still employed and make an easy transition without missing a paycheck).
Yes I've quit jobs I hate and it was the right decision. I had time to pursue what I want, or other times it just opened the door to another job. Nothing wrong with job hopping these days. No one stays in the same place for 40 years anymore.
Mental health always comes first

L

LokiPokey75

If you felt it was the right decision for you, then it was. Always listen to yourself. There's no reason to stay at a job you hate, unless of course you need the paycheck (but in that case, it's best to start a job search while still employed and make an easy transition without missing a paycheck).
Yes I've quit jobs I hate and it was the right decision. I had time to pursue what I want, or other times it just opened the door to another job. Nothing wrong with job hopping these days. No one stays in the same place for 40 years anymore.
Mental health always comes first
I totally agree strawberrywater! Thank you for your response. It's been a challenge not having the extra income, but I'm lucky my parents are so understanding and I've gone on a few interviews which has built up my confidence. I'm glad I let go of my job, even with the risks.

I appreciate you taking them time to offer your opinion. I'll keep trying to listen to my gut in the future.