• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Quitiapine Wipe out!

D

Dottyone

Does anyone know how long Quitiapine adjustments take to get over, I have just increased from 300mg to 600mg and I feel super zombie.

How long will the tired feeling last now that I am taking 300mg morning and 300mg at night?

shaky

shaky

Yes, I found Q was very sedating at first.

hard to remember now because it was 5 years ago and I was in hospital - which is an artificial environment.
I think it took only 2 or 3 days to get sleep levels back to sensible (7, 8 or 9 hours) and to be active (or as active as one can be in hospital).

Davey Blueeyes

Davey Blueeyes

It knocks me sideways. I don't know why they don't have you on 400mg at night and 200mg in the morning? I have half the dose in the morning to not knock me out all day

Gajolene

Gajolene

If your still this drowsy and sleeping too many hours at the end of 4 weeks, you may have to ask it be decreased again. I had this problem with a couple medications and halving the dosage was necessary, as the long term side effects I couldn't handle, I had to discuss it with the doctors and did it with their permission. My son had to quit quatiapine altogether as he was sleeping 14 to 16 hours a day on the quatiapine dosage required to stabilize his psychosis. He switched to risperidone which worked much better for his mental health condition and doesn't make him drowsy at all anymore.

I did really well myself on the lower dosages. Sometimes depending on your unique individual needs and sensitivitey to medications, dosages have to be changed a few times before you find the levels that work well for you. Just keep your doctor involved so he knows how your progressing especially if you have no aftercare or home nurses involved in your care.

Keeping a side effect/mood and symptom journal may help and will show how your progressing as well and also helps the doctors greatly as well.

Last edited:
D

Dottyone

Yes, I found Q was very sedating at first.

hard to remember now because it was 5 years ago and I was in hospital - which is an artificial environment.
I think it took only 2 or 3 days to get sleep levels back to sensible (7, 8 or 9 hours) and to be active (or as active as one can be in hospital).
Hi Shaky thanks for the reply, Hopefully my sleeping will be back to reasonable hours like yours after 2-3 days, I slept for 12.5 hours last night which was blissful and very much needed. x

It knocks me sideways. I don't know why they don't have you on 400mg at night and 200mg in the morning? I have half the dose in the morning to not knock me out all day
Hi Davey thanks also, that saying 'it knocked me sideways' is a common one I think with Quitiapine, I will try 400 tonight and hopefully that will lower the amount I sleep in the day, I feel like I will be in a permanent sleep 24/7 if I took another 300mg in the morning. x

If your still this drowsy and sleeping too many hours at the end of 4 weeks, you may have to ask it be decreased again. I had this problem with a couple medications and halving the dosage was necessary, as the long term side effects I couldn't handle, I had to discuss it with the doctors and did it with their permission. My son had to quit quatiapine altogether as he was sleeping 14 to 16 hours a day on the quatiapine dosage required to stabilize his psychosis. He switched to risperidone which worked much better for his mental health condition and doesn't make him drowsy at all anymore.

I did really well myself on the lower dosages. Sometimes depending on your unique individual needs and sensitivitey to medications, dosages have to be changed a few times before you find the levels that work well for you. Just keep your doctor involved so he knows how your progressing especially if you have no aftercare or home nurses involved in your care.

Keeping a side effect/mood and symptom journal may help and will show how your progressing as well and also helps the doctors greatly as well.
Hellow Gajolene, thanks for your advice and your experience with Quitiapine, I hope Respiridone is working well for your son now, I have been reading online about Quitiapine for the last few weeks and it seems to be just knocking people out all day and making them Zomby-fied.

I will see how I go on 400 at night and maybe I will ask if i can use 200 in the day and keep the other 100 as a PRN for when i need it more.

I was put on double my dosage of Quitiapine because they say i am Psychotic but i don't think i am.

Another quick question ; does it really matter what time i take Quitiapine in the day;

What i mean to say is as long as i take it, would it still work and stay in my system or does Quitiapine have a short half life?

(if this is the case could i not take 500mg at night and sleep really well and then take 100mg as a Prn as and when needed)

Ok must not type anymore this post is starting to resemble a Book.:rolleyes:

Thanks again for your help. xxxx