• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Quick question re Anti Depressants?

J

James Buchanan

How long should you give them before you decide that perhaps they're not working?

I've only been on mine for four days, however I was told to expect to feel better in 4-5 days. I feel worse. I'm sure it's at least two - three weeks before you should notice a difference.

My head's all muddled. Should I continue? I'm seeing my doc on Wednesday to see how I'm getting on with them.

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

When I was on them i was told it took between 4-6 weeks before they got into your system properly and you started too feel better. Just be a little patient, i know how bad you must feel but the AD's are there too help!

Lozzi :flowers:

J

James Buchanan

Yeah that's what I thought, I was a little confused when he said 4-5 days. I need to find that button on the side of my head that stops me thinking.

Thankyou for the reply, has reassured me!

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
It can take a long time for anti-depressants to start working, in my experience anyway. I would have thought being told to start feeling better in 4-5 days was quite optimistic. Two weeks is more normal, and they can take anything up to 8 weeks. Which I know is incredibly frustrating. I gather from your other posts that this is not the first time you have been on anti-d's - are you on the same ones as before? Can you remember how long it took last time before you started to feel the benefit? For me, I was on anti-d's (fluoxetine in my case) for about 6 weeks, felt worse, had my dose upped and it took another 6-8 weeks to start to see an improvement - so hardly a quick fix "happy pill"! It is of course difficult to tell whether it is the depression which is getting worse, or the pills making you feel worse, or a combination of the two, and I guess none of us will ever really know that. I have come to be a little bit more accepting of the fact that some of the things I want to put down to side effects are in fact components of the depression itself. But only sometimes! - the rest of the time, I just want to blame the drugs.

At least you are going to see your GP on Wednesday so you can discuss it with them then, or phone earlier if you are worried and don't want to wait that long.

Take care.

Rollinat

J

James Buchanan

Yes the last time I was on Escitalopram which took 3 weeks to notice anything and 6 weeks before I felt they were really working. This time I'm on Citalopram. I wouldn't be so worried if I just felt the same, hadn't been told 4-5 days and have people constantly tell me "Oh you don't want to take them" wah wah wah.

I know from my last experience to wait longer and it sounds silly being all paranoid about it, my head's just working overtime at the moment! :oops:

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
I think we all know about being paranoid about taking them! I fought against for ages, until I finally thought there really was no point going to my GP and saying how things were and then still refusing the treatment offered. Having decided to take them, it doesn't seem such a big deal any more, and finding this forum has been a great help to me. Hang on in there and look forward to reading more of your posts.

Rollinat

J

James Buchanan

Cheers, this has helped alot!

Now, a big fat bacon sandwich is in order!

M

Michael

Founding Member
I have never thought my AD's medication worked. My wife says something completley different. What I think I am trying to say is that sometimes the patient is not allways aware of the changes going on and maybe that 3rd person close by may see things you yourself are not aware.

That is really harder though for the patient who does not have that third person, my heart really goes out to them. Maybe on this site we could help there by being that 3rd person and seeing potential changes in the patients posting.

Michael

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi there,

Michael - you took the words out of my mouth... I was going to post that I've never felt any change from AD's but that my OH wouldn't let me stop taking them when I threatened to the other week - I was saying that I didn't think they'd made a heapeth of difference (and in a way I still think that - especially when I'm on a downer as I am now). I don't feel any different, I just have a few better days than I used to! I have however been termed drug resistant! At times a
it feels like they are just chalk placebo's. Grumble.

R

Roxy

Founding Member
That is really harder though for the patient who does not have that third person, my heart really goes out to them. Maybe on this site we could help there by being that 3rd person and seeing potential changes in the patients posting.
I've been toiling with the thought of going back on meds myself, but I keep coming up with arguments as to why its not a good idea. It's a struggle to keep on an even keel and I know deep down that they would help lift the feelings on hopelessness that continue to wash over me.

However, the above comment by Michael makes sense as like many others I now have no other half to help spur me on and want me to take of myself, but if we can rely on each other for support then thats half the battle.(y)

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I had a complete overahaul of my anti d medication about 8 weeks ago and I can honestly say that I am only just feeling the effects of small changes that have occured. The Time word is a horrible one to be said but its really true!

J

James Buchanan

Well I'd say they're certainly starting to work, my dose was put up to 20mg which I thought was a little soon but I wasn't in the mood for a debate! I still feel pretty crap but I hardly recognise the paranoid mess I was when I made the first post.

Again thankyou everyone who replied!

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Glad your picking up a little James... I ve just had my medication slightly and as I ve said before it is that magical time word. Are you having any other treatment but medication??

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Good news.

Well done James for sticking with them. I'm pleased that you are seeing some improvement.

Take care!

J

James Buchanan

Glad your picking up a little James... I ve just had my medication slightly and as I ve said before it is that magical time word. Are you having any other treatment but medication??

Nope just medication. I've had counselling sessions before, to be honest I just find them boring and a little frustrating. When I become depressed it's usually due to my current situation, all the counselling or psychiatrists I've seen in the past tend to focus on unearthing deep rooted psychological issues or confronting events from the past. This has never really helped! Not sure if anyone else holds the same opinion.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Depression Forum 2
B Depression Forum 5
M Depression Forum 5
B Depression Forum 2
S Depression Forum 13