Quetiapine

Jess96

Jess96

been diagnosed with bipolar type 2, they are starting me on [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Quetiapine has anyone been on these if so what was your experience [/COLOR]

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi Jesse and welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of people on here have been on quetiapine myself included. It’s very good as a mood stabiliser but does come with side effects. So I suggest you read up on it. There are quite a few posts on here about it. So just search thru the forum .

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
I was on Quetiapine for a number of years. My maximum dose was 1800mg and all I did was sleep and gain oodles of weight. I am still trying to lose that weight years later. quetiapine also cost me my job as I fell asleep in the staff room at work and the boss caught me.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Wow who put you on that dose. The maximum should be 800mg. I’m surprised you could stand up on that. I was on 650mg for about 10years and found that sedating.

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
Believe it nor not it was a work nominated psychiatrist. He was trying to prove I wasn't capable of working. Before seeing him I was on 1250mg. After seeing him it was put up to 1800mg and was proved correct. Been struggling to find a great job ever since.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
They want striking off for giving you that dose . Even the BNF states a maximum of 800mg. I developed diabetes because of that med and on a much lower dose than you. I hope you’ve had glucose checked.

T

Tabby120

I'm on it, I love it. Yeah, knocks me stupid, and yeah, it's not good to combine with motion sickness, and yeah, I have problems sleeping without it. But I also don't have paranoid delusions and I don't have depression. Trade-off for me is worth it.

Parayana

Parayana

My ex-GF is diagnosed Schizo-affective and is on it, a low dose (125mg) keeps her very stable but she does find it sedating and it caused a lot of weight gain.

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
Hey Daffy, no diabetes ..... yet. I am a ultra high risk though so really have to watch it.
I doubt that shrink will ever get struck off as he's an Associate Professor at the local University too. To me, he's an evil bastard!

Jess96

Jess96

Thank you all for your replies, I’ve had 10 years undiagnosed hell unstable mainly depression since I was 13. I would love to be stable for once! The weight gain is it increased appetite or physically puts weight on you

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
Jess in my case it slowed my metabolism right down. I ate right but still put weight on.I was too lethargic for exercise.

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
I am not a doctor so cannot advise you of meds to take Jess, but if you are concerned about weight gain I would indicate this to your treating team.

6ofusathome

I love Quetiapine. It took a few months to figure out dosage but I have been on it for almost 3 years and it has remained a great med for me. I also take Wellburtrin. But the Quetiapine doesn't just hold back the hallucinations but they are not there at all. When my dose wasn't right it was like I knew the psychosis was just hiding under the surface but the right dose and they were gone totally. The sleep thing...after 6 or so months the sleeping was more manageable. It didn't knock me off my feet right after I took it. Yes I gained weight BUT my pdoc started me on metformin (normally a diabetic med) and weight got under control.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
megirl Bipolar Forum 2
megirl Bipolar Forum 33
T Bipolar Forum 2