quetiapine

megirl

megirl

I guess I am being reckless. But I have been on 900mgs of quetiapine for many years, the thing is if I wake up in the night I am non-functioning I am like a zombie I cant move my body to even get out of bed. At a friends house and I was talking in my sleep so she was concerned checked up on me she couldnt wake me up she said all she got was my eyeballs rolling back in my head. I was in hospital a while back and someone came in my room I was awake but I couldnt even talk. Feel like I am over-sedated. So I have decided to halve my nightly dose. I am actually doing ok. I have woken up in the middle of the night wanting to go too the loo and I havnt made it. Do others feel like me. I mean when I actually do wake up after my sleep I feel fine its just I cant get out of my quetiapine induced sleep whilst it has its effects on me

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
hi megirl that’s a massive dose. I was on 600 mg but the maximum when I checked was 800 was the max dose and higher only under supervision. I’m not surprised you were virtually comotosed on that dose. I think quetiapine is a very good drug to get you over an episode but I came off it because I was permanently flat. But obviously I don’t recommend you do that without your p/docs guidance. I think you need to have a chat about what it’s doing to you and what is best for you. If you find that half the dose is working just ask them to monitor you.

megirl

megirl

I have been on the psych ward at one time where they were concerned that maybe i was over-sedated but nothing came of it.
So anyway I see my support worker tomorrow so I will talk to him about whats going on, probably kind of down play what I am doing but suggest thats what I want to happen eg, lower the dose

megirl

megirl

I have been on the psych ward at one time where they were concerned that maybe i was over-sedated but nothing came of it.
So anyway I see my support worker tomorrow so I will talk to him about whats going on, probably kind of down play what I am doing but suggest thats what I want to happen eg, lower the dose

megirl

megirl

Still going fine with my decrease in quetiapine I really feel ok. Not sleeping so soundly if that's the word. But sleeping well enough. I am amazed that I am doing ok. But I certainly would not recommend doing this. I have asked my support worker to request an ecg etc and blood tests. Hopefully this doesn't catch up with me in some way. I see him on Monday so will update him what I have done maybe just tell him I decreased it a little bit like 50mg I am still being a bit cautious in regards to my decrease. Makes me wonder what the hell 900mgs was doing to me. Last time I was in hospital if I somehow wake up in the middle of the night I can't get myself out of bed I can't communicate with anyone. I try to sit up and just fall straight back down again interesting

megirl

megirl

Still feeling good. Wasn't that long ago I couldn't manage even with a 25mg decrease in quetiapine. Maybe also a reflection how well I am doing at present:rolleyes:

S

Snirexx

I guess I am being reckless. But I have been on 900mgs of quetiapine for many years, the thing is if I wake up in the night I am non-functioning I am like a zombie I cant move my body to even get out of bed. At a friends house and I was talking in my sleep so she was concerned checked up on me she couldnt wake me up she said all she got was my eyeballs rolling back in my head. I was in hospital a while back and someone came in my room I was awake but I couldnt even talk. Feel like I am over-sedated. So I have decided to halve my nightly dose. I am actually doing ok. I have woken up in the middle of the night wanting to go too the loo and I havnt made it. Do others feel like me. I mean when I actually do wake up after my sleep I feel fine its just I cant get out of my quetiapine induced sleep whilst it has its effects on me
Ok so I'm now on 150mg extended release but when I fell into a hypomanic state I upped it to 200mg xr. We'll I was Soo out of it. I felt like I had taken hard drugs I was like a zombie. So I can only imagine how that much is. I'd go back and ask the doctor cos I always think any dose change should be talked through with our doctor first.

calypso

calypso

Admin
900mg is a HUGE dose. I think you need to have an urgent medication review with your psychiatrist and soon.

megirl

megirl

Thanks. I dont think its normal for someone to wake you in the middle of the night and my speech is so slurry and eyes rolling in the back of my head. When its morning and I get up i am ok
And I aren't a very big person about 50kg's
If someone broke into the house when I am asleep I wouldn't be capable of doing anything

megirl

megirl

I think for someone my size its even worse

megirl

megirl

Seem to be ok after I halved my quetiapine dose must be 10 days now. Though I am a little unmotivated but I dont think that's related.

megirl

megirl

I am wondering if my lack of motivation is due to the decreased quetiapine? I am still sleeping fine when I take it.
Then in the morning when I wake up I feel ok. Say if I wake up at 8.30 I get up then go back to bed for a little bit then the next thing it is 10.30 I have absolutely no idea where this 2 hours has gone
I know in the past when we have tried decreasing it my mood tends to drop
maybe that's what I am experiencing
Umm...I will have to talk to my support worker

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I have come off my quetiapine without permission but I’ve done it over 18monhs . And no I don’t recommend anyone else trying it. My CPN and doc still think I’m on 300 mg so it still comes in my dosset box. Normally when it comes i takes the weeks supply of quetiapine out and throw away but the other night in error I took the 300 mg by mistake. And god was I ill. I couldn’t get out of bed and didn’t know what was wrong. My head ached and was fogged . This lasted till about 10pm. It made me realise just how much that tablet had affected me over the years. I keep monitoring myself to make sure there’s no psychosis and will eventually tell the CPN when I’ve been stable for 6-12 months what I’ve done.

megirl

megirl

Feeling more motivated today. 11 days since I halved my quetiapine from 900 to 450mgs. However went back up to 600mgs last night feel bit more motivated today which is great

T

Tabby120

900 mg? There's been no safety testing on doses above 800 mg so no way to know if 900 mg is even safe. I'd love to know what is going on in your doctor's head, because that sounds reckless to me.

When my doctor wanted to lower my quetiapine dose without compromising my stability, he dropped my quetiapine dose by almost half and tripled my lithium dose at the same time. Maybe talk to your doctor (or get a second opinion) about readjusting the doses of all your medication to maintain your stability, rather than risking it by cutting the dose on your own.

megirl

megirl

I was actually on 1000mgs for a year or so and one point. Even a number of times when I was a inpatient on the psych ward nurses there were questioning the dosage. But yeh I really think they need to sort that out

megirl

megirl

Im also on a high dosage of lamotrigine. My body seems to only respond to high doses for whatever reason

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
High doses of quetiapine and olanzapine have been linked to T2 diabetes and you should have regular glucose checks. I’m now stuck with T2 diabetes and have to watch everything I eat

megirl

megirl

Thanks for that. I forgot about regular blood tests. I usually remember to ask my support worker when these are due. I also need to get my routine ECG done as well :)

T

Tabby120

Your location says New Zealand. I don't know anything about their health care system, do you have the option of a second opinion?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
megirl Bipolar Forum 2
J Bipolar Forum 14
T Bipolar Forum 2