• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Quetiapine xl (seroquel xl)

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I start quetiapine xl on Monday.Building up to 600mg.Anyone else on this?

shaky

shaky

Yes

Yes, I am on 600mg of Quetiapine a day.
It has got rid of my alternate personalities :) but has some side effects I would wish to be without. Namely, constipation. And boy, did that get bad. I was so bunged up I couldn't even pee and they had to put a catheter up my penis to empty my bladder.:eek: To counteract this I am now taking loads of laxatives (30ml of a liquid called Lactulose and 2 tablets of Senna).
Most people don't suffer like this though, other folk I talked to in hospital have no side effects at all.

Shaky

A

Affective

I was on Seroquel for a few days and was taken off it because it really hurt my heart! But the thing is that every medication works differently for everyone.

K

keops

i take 400mg/night for a month now. it does give you a serious hangover in the first weeks but it gets better in time. i take it at least 3hrs before bedtime and i eat after i take it, not before. this way i don't get the hangover.

other side effects i noticed are dry mouth, congested nose and severe constipation, but these can be managed and don't bother me too much.

to be honest, apart from the drowsiness, i think this drug has stimulant effects on me, which might not be bad since i have mostly negative symptoms. i noticed an increase in sexual desire and game craving. one day i spent almost 7hrs playing a video game without eating.

schiz01

schiz01

Don't know if you have it over in the UK but here you can get a product Nu-Lax http://www.naturalhealthorganics.com.au/Nu-Lax-Fruit-Laxative-pr-985.html
Even the hospital uses it and its very good at combating constipation.
Seroquel is generally sedating and can also make you put on weight.
I was on it for a bit over a year and i swelled up like a balloon.It also made me into a bit of a zombie (i was on 1200mg).

jax

jax

I was on 900 mgs of the regular seroquel for 4 years. This summer I was put on 850 mgs of slow release as it was the highest licensed dose you can get. The regular seroquel the highest dose is 800 mgs. So I was on a dose that exceeded the licensed dose. The slow release helped with my mania. I used to take the 900 all at night. Having the slow release meant I got doses of seroquel all day and it helped calm me down. Good luck.
Jacqui

schiz01

schiz01

I was on an even higher dose when i was in hospital but they dropped it to 1200 before i was released.In hospital they can check your vitals every hour to make sure you are not going to have an adverse reaction.All anti-psychotics can have very dangerous and life threatening side affects especially at high doses.I have experienced these side affects first hand and they are far from pleasant.

P

phoenixx

i was recently put on seroquel 600mgs i find i get dry mouth and constipation, however at the moment am waiting to see how affective it will be because at the moment am still suffering paranoid thoughts poeple watching me and out to get me and hallucinations, i was diagnosed with paranoid sz. have only been taking this for about 3 months.. does anyone else still get disturbing feelings whilst on this medication.

P

phoenixx

am still tacking seroquel 600mgs but have ow been given 10mgs abilify to tack as well still getting halucinations and voices only started abilify today so hoping will start to feel better at present im really struggling and am seeing demons coming after me constantly its very frightening am so anxous have also been given lorazapan to calm me down.

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
hi pheonix yes i get disturbing thoughts and thoughts of people watching me out to get me but seroquel is not a cure it just relieves the symptoms somewhat the underlying illness paranoid schizophrenia is causing the bad thoughts. i take 200mg at night i get so knocked out on that i cant even begin to imagine taking more than that i'm out like a light!

P

phoenixx

really!! i just been given zopiclone to help me sleep its the nightmares that wake me then hallucination with voices its horribble early days yet hoping the abilify may work better thanks for repliy.

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
hi pheonix what is ablify? is it anti de or anti phycotic? never tried that one let me know how you get on. i know hat its like early morning PANICK stay positive diddy

P

phoenixx

hi diddypinks, abilify is also known as aripiprazole try pronouncing that lol.its an anti-physcotic drug have been told it doesnt affect your weight whilst tacking it.. is only my third day of tacking it am on 10mgs as well as 600mgs seroquel havent felt any difference yet still hallucinating and hearing voices is driving me crazy only good thing is the zopiclone is allowing me to sleep through the night so far so no nightmares! and the lorazapine one a day is tacking the edge off things..

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
I was on 600mg of Seroquel XL for 6 months and down to 500mg at present. Much better than the original tablets. Instead of getting Zombied-out at night and first thing in the morning I feel good 24/7. It's helped so much they reduced the meds by 100mg in one go (y).

600mg seems to be the average dosage people respond to the best as I was told by my Psychiatrist. I can testify to that. It made a huge difference to me as I was once on 700mg ( record 750mg at most ) and that high dose of the original tablets made my eyes bloodshot after taking it along with a strong pounding heart in the chest. Never mind the pounding in my head until the early hours of the morning :scared:. These XL tablets were started after 600mg became the norm for a few months and they were a lot better than the original 600's.

P

phoenixx

am glad they worked for you, am on 600mgs seroquel xl but not feeling good on them am now tacking abilify.. have you ever had this?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Schizophrenia Forum 12
Z Schizophrenia Forum 17