Quetiapine withdrawal, anyone been through it?

|||ME|||

|||ME|||

And how was the drop to 50mg compared to the drop to 75mg?

P

poppit

It was not as bad as the first drop, as in I felt better quicker. Just left with nausea and not sleeping to well:sleepy2: Thanks for asking:)

|||ME|||

|||ME|||

I'm glad you haven't just gone cold turkey, until you stabilise from one drop it's generally a good idea to stay at that dose.

Your facial movements and the falls and chest pains complicate things though, if you had odd involuntary movements in your face the best way to reduce the chances they continue permanently is to be on them for less time. You should be coming off (and more quickly than someone normally should) in this scenario imo (which you are). Still, if a little caution like adding in a couple of steps or feeling a little better before you make the next drop makes the process a lot less painful it's worth considering doing that. It's a fine balancing act.

Be aware that a lot of/most/all what is happening is withdrawal and it might get worse before it gets better. At the same time most people find their withdrawal symptoms gradually improve and eventually become unnoticeable/go away, so try not to be overly concerned. Staying calm to the best of your ability in the situation is very helpful.

The surviving antidepressants forum (linked to in my signature) is good for withdrawal advice. I'd recommend running this by them. Tell them the problems you've had on it (this is important with you), the problems reducing, how much you were on, for how long and the tapering plan your following.

R

Rose19602

I would listen to this advice if I was you Poppit....

The help with withdrawl on that forum is better than anything you can access on the web IMO.
|||ME||| knows a fair bit about quetiapine withdrawl too perhaps?

x

F

Fluff

Reduction stage 2!

Hi everyone. I've been on quentiapine (sere quell xl) for 13 years and was originally on 800mg in hospital and 600mg when I was let home. I've been stable pretty much ever since. Three years ago I began to suffer worrying side effects and cut down to 300mg in one go! I did a lot of research on nutrition in advance and this helped me. The physical withdrawal was horrendous for four weeks but within the withdrawal my mood was stable and I still felt like myself in amongst it all so I continued to persevere. Once the flu and anxiety and sleep issues were resolved I felt quite height and a bit manic for a number of months which I controlled with exercise and patience with myself! The result has been a year and a half of getting, holding down, and coping with a high pressured but enjoyable job and getting off benefits and living a good life. I expected the withdrawal to be far worse than it was, although it was certainly no walk in the park! Two weeks ago I reduced by 50mg following my cholesterol getting high again and me having muscle fatigue and bone pains and keep getting my glands come up and feeling like I have a cold coming again. Believe it or not, this drop has been harder to manage than the last because I've been feeling very strong emotions and mood swings along with the more physical symptoms. I believe it is because when I did the large drop I was at home without anything to annoy me or upset me or worry me other than the withdrawal itself. I don't often admit to struggling but last week was so tough! The first week I had trouble sleeping and felt a bit high but otherwise not too bad. The last week though has been horrendous. Sweats, feeling shaky, totally blurred vision like I've had two bottles of wine and utter paranoia and anxiety trying to deal with people who must think I'm drunk because I kept tripping over my words and couldn't look anyone in the eye properly, and every time the sun came out from behind the clouds I felt I was flying upwards! Today though a breakthrough! My vision is blurred but not totally distorted. I've only had a touch of dizziness. I've hardly sweated and as long as I ate continuously through the day I didn't feel too shaky. I've had to give myself a stern talking to ana a lot of positive self talk to stop me from getting paranoid and anxious but it is working. I am having to really keep focuses on thinking positive thoughts on purpose and arguing with myself when I start having negative impact thought and doubts about whether I can do this or not. Very grumpy with the husband tonight and I haven't been very patient with people today but compared to yesterday this has been like a different week has started already! I will keep you updated.

S

Sarah95

IÂ’m on quetiapine I was put on it when I had a mental health breakdown I was hospitalized and the doctor put me on it because o wasn’t sleeping and now 8 months later I tried to stop taking it and I had the sweats. Vomiting all the time and I couldnT stand this went on for nearly two weeks and I never slept atall maybe an hour or two a day if lucky so I went back on it and now I’ve stopped its dangerous in my opinion. I also get bad chest pains scince I started taking it. ItÂ’s the worst drug I have ever taken and if I new how bad side affects and withdrawal was I wouldnÂ’t of ever started this drug I can concentrate. I am just drinking water and hoping it will go

Last edited:
P

Pollypop

My new psychiatrist is prescribing quetiapine to take with duloxatine which I have been
on since November )(2017)

This drug sounds quite frightening.
Has anyone taken this combination?

I’m grateful to have come across these posts as at
least I know what may happen.

Has anyone been taken off quetiapine because it did not suit
them and given an alternative?

I’m sorry to have gone a bit off the topic, but I found the posts really useful in advance.

I hope everyone is improving, whether starting or withdrawing. X

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya Fluff and welcome to the forum. This thread is 4 years old, would you like to start a new one or are you happy with this? I see you have a response to maybe leave it??

P

Paranoid_Android

I was on quetiapine and had heart palpitations every night for three years. It also dried my mouth and nose out so I couldn't take it at night cause I couldn't sleep because I felt like a was suffocating as my mouth was so dry so took it during day. Because I took it during the day I was miserable and I wouldn't allow them to reduce it because I forgot to take it to my sisters once and couldn't get out of bed so thought the medication was responsible for allowing me to stand up. I was on the verge of a heart attack and the Dr's never told me. If he's been honest with me I'd have allowed him to reduce it. When it was reduced to 300mg I felt great.

If anyone wants to get off this drug you have to reduce the dose very slowly because it can cause a heart attack. These drugs are very strong and because they work fast the people who work on the wards want you to stay on them because they see how quickly you get better. In the old days it could take years for someone to get better but now you can be in and out in no time depending on the severity of your illness. Some people get threatened with going back in and they break the rules to get some people in because they want some people to be on and off medication for the rest of their life. It all depends on you diagnosis.

I know someone who was finally diagnosed with Bi-polar after 12 years or so and was prescribed quetiapine but because it was giving her heart palpitations she stopped taking it. The mental health team went around to her house and said she's to take it but she told them no and that was that. She smokes canabis to help with her bi-polar and is doing well with it.

If you're only on it short term like I was (three years) I can't see the problem. I did put weight on with it but started loosing that the third year. I went from eating when I was hungry to eating five sometimes six meals a day it was disgusting the amount of food I ate. No one needs that amount of food. I managed to maintain the same wait from age 14-29 from only eating when I was hungry but when I was on the drugs I just ate like no bodies business.

You need to stay of fizzy pops though and try to drink water if you get dry mouth.

A

arwilliams

Zyprexa and Seroquel are the 2 most sedating antipsychotics commonly used. I am stuck on 2.5 mg of Zyprexa because I don't sleep with out it anymore. Oh well.

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

ive gone from 600mg quetiapine to 400mg so i dont know if its effecting me but the voices are pretty bad

R

ROSIE39

Hi everyone... I know this thread has been going on many years. Just wanted to share my experience as I have searched for years with help on quetiapine withdrawal.
I have been on it for 12 years for a diagnosis of bi polar. My bi polar diagnosis was taken off me 2 years ago and replaced with EUPD, of which i’d Been stable for 2 years. This is also now in question as my psychiatrist now suspects High Functioning Autism, but that’s another story.
Was on 900mg at my Max. 2 years ago I reduced from 600 to 300 over night. No withdrawal at all... I came down to 200 about a month later. Had a wobble so stuck at that for about 2 months until I felt stable.
Cut down in 50mgs every 3-4 weeks. No problem... no side effects or withdrawals.
UNTIL I got down to the final 25mg.
Psych team and GP told my I could just stop taking at this low dosage. ( shrink actually told me I could just stop at 150mg- so glad I didn’t just do that)
Stopping the last 25mg left me bedbound. Nausea, headaches, sweats, couldn’t walk or talk or even drink water.
Had to take the quetiapine again to function.
Long story short... I have visited GP a number of times, seen different ones. One GP is the best... he agreed to have a liquid made for me to get the dosage lower... albeit very reluctantly as of the cost to the NHS, as the bottle costs them about £40 for 100ml. On the advice of my chemist I wanted a lower concentration but that costs about £100 for 100ml and I was refused that.
Anyway over the last 4-5 months I’ve been reducing the last 25mg very slowly and I’m on the equivalent of 0.6mg and I’m at the stage where I’m going to have to completely stop, as the oral syringe won’t let me go much lower in measurements. So I’m going to have to bite the bullet next time I’ve got a few days of work n see how it goes.
Overall I’ve reduced down the last 300mg over 9 months.
Hope this helps someone xxx

P

Pollypop

Thank you for your post ROSIE. I posted a while ago that I was waiting to start this drug.
I still haven’t as I have been waiting to have blood tests and an ecg.
I understand now the reason for the ecg.
The heart damage and attacks etc

I now know a lot about coming off it.
That is assuming i do have the courage to start it.
I don’t usually question drugs and just take what the psychiatrist
gives me.

Can I ask what you were like when you started it.
Symptoms, side effects, dosage etc.

This is being added to 90mg duloxatine.
Thank you again for your input. X

R

reddog

my wife is going cold-turkey

Hi all,
Ive been reading your posts with a mixture of interest and concern. My wife has been taking quetiapine since she had a psychosis about five years ago. She was sectioned and had horrible experiences while in hospital. Her psychiatrist told her she would have to be on it all her life once back home. Last week she tried to re-order quetiapine on repeat prescription because she had lost one packet. A doctor(not her usual GP) blocked the script saying she couldn't have it because she already had a month's supply. She is now withdrawing from it ,not by choice ,because they wont give her any. She is scared and anxious for fear that her psychosis will come back (something her g.p warned could happen but I don't necessarily agree with)and already suffering withdrawal symptoms. Surely it should have been discussed with her first(it wasn't) before stopping the supply outright? From the sound of reports on this thread it can be dangerous to go cold-turkey. She has found a few tablets since but this is still a drastic reduction compared to the 4x 200mgs a day she was taking.

calypso

calypso

Admin
To reddog

This is disgraceful. Its all done on computers now and no-one is allowed another prescription as the system won't allow it. I would put in an urgent call to her pdoc (psychiatrist), and tell them what is happening. I think it can be dangerous but just one week should make it not so terrible. There is still residual amount in your body. But get back to the docs and nag and nag. Make a nuisance of yourself - I did once and they didn't like it but it was all I could do. It worked.

Don't use the phone but go in in person.

May I suggest that you start your own thread as its easier for people to reply to you

Last edited:
Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

I've had to go cold turkey from 2x400mg/ day quetiapine because I also lost a bottle. They wouldn't replace mine either. Even the doctor refused it. They said I should be more responsible in the future. I have been taken off of it before and they didn't taper me at all. They just told me to stop talking it and start the new drug. I've never had withdrawal symptoms in either case.

L

LionHolium

Oh i been through that cold turkey, shivers, it's rough and do it slowly.. or you mind might backfire without sleep.

S

Snrab

Posting many years after OP. Feel I need to share my experience with folks.

Was only cipralex 75 my for 4 years until It was no longer working for me the way I needed it to. Dr added seroquel 50 and I was on both for for two years. Seroquel turned me into a complete zombie when I took it. I would need a nap shortly after taking my dose and I certainly was not capable of driving. After 2 years Of changing my diet and exercising I felt I had achieved control over the anxiety and panic attacks that I was originally placed on it for. Each time I lowered my dose I experienced extreme withdrawal effects. I’ve never used recreational drugs in my life, but the debilitating withdrawal symptoms I experienced each time were what I would imagine junkies go through. It was the hardest 5 days - week of my life when I would lower the dose. I would be bed bound with headaches, dizziness, vomiting. I tapered from 50-25 mg and stablizdd for 3-4 months at this dose (while still taking Cipralex) I then tapered to 25 cut in half. Stabilized for 3 months again. And then attempted to wean myself off the remaing half 25 mg tablet by taking it every second day. I did this for weeks and then eventually was taking small amounts of the pill crushed up into little pebbles. The withdrawal from half every 2 days to pebbles was horrific. You would not think that a few mgs of quetapine would cause extreme withdrawal symptoms but it did. Finally I was able to stop taking the pebbles of seroquel and I have never looked back.

I admire anyone who is in the process of getting off this medication. It is truly a momentous accomplishment that takes extreme determination and will. There were times when I was hovering over the toilet, shaking with migraines that I felt like giving in and going back on the last dose I was able to stabilize on. Stick with it. You can do it. It is incredibly difficult and you’ve already made it this far.

Best of luck to anyone going through this. Dig deep. This too shall pass.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Although I have been sorely tempted to just say **** it! and totally stop, I have re read all your advice and talked myself out of that! Sticking with the doctors plan, feel not too bad at the min. It's really hard to differentiate between what is illness and what is withdrawal as you say Miss Kitty, at the moment I am just rolling with it and giving myself time to adjust mentally and physically, I am half way there! Really dreading the reducing from 25mg to 0mg, will take even more care around that time.
Please don’t come off it completely you must be patient and take it really slow. I think 25 mg every two weeks is too fast. Leave it at least four weeks so you body can get used to the lower dose and the headaches will stop. I successfully came off quetiapine after eight years albeit against pdoc advise. They still think I’m on 300 mg I was on 600mg and reduced it by 25 mg every month. It took about 18 months but apart from a few headaches I had no bad side effects. I’ve now been clear of them since the new year and seem to be coping ok, although I think I may be going a little high. Whether that’s coming off or just my schitzo affective I’m not sure but my CPN will monitor me. Just don’t rush to come off them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
megirl Bipolar Forum 2
icecreamcake Bipolar Forum 13
Jess96 Bipolar Forum 14
megirl Bipolar Forum 33
T Bipolar Forum 2