• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Quetiapine (Seroquel)?

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has been or is using this medicine, and would you care to share your experiences with it please? Good or bad. :)

T

Twylight

I think Quetiapine is an anti-psychotic with mood stabilising properties

I'm schizophrenic and I tried it and it was way too strong for me

My Sister who has bi-polar was on seroquel ( quetiapine) and did not have any motivation to keep out of bed.

I suggested she tried Olanzepine with a mood stabiliser, but it was unsuccessful on her , and she got too high - although she said it had been the best week of her life.

They put her on Largactil for two days to bring her down and now she is back on Seroquel untill she calms down and then she might try summin' else ?

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I think Quetiapine is an anti-psychotic with mood stabilising properties

I'm schizophrenic and I tried it and it was way too strong for me

My Sister who has bi-polar was on seroquel ( quetiapine) and did not have any motivation to keep out of bed.

I suggested she tried Olanzepine with a mood stabiliser, but it was unsuccessful on her , and she got too high - although she said it had been the best week of her life.

They put her on Largactil for two days to bring her down and now she is back on Seroquel untill she calms down and then she might try summin' else ?
Thank you for the reply, Twylight. :)
I am on 100mg and it's not too strong for me, I just bump into things all the time.
I find it does quiet down my head which is why I'm taking it. I have very vivid and bizarre dreams though, since I take it. Things that my mind is busy with during the daytime, take on such a surreal tone in my sleep.

I hope things are going better for your sister. :flowers:

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Thanks for your input, ntuc. :)

I already have RLS, short-term memory damage, neuropathy from an o.d. and a 2 week coma, bad eyesight, and I bump into anything within 2 feet of me so...I'm prepared to accept whatever comes along with the Seroquel if it will make sure I don't do anything dangerous to myself or others. :innocent:

The first 2 days I felt dopey, but now I simply feel level. I am investing in peppermints, however, because of the truly awful taste in my mouth all the time. :rolleyes:

T

Twylight

Yup, I think that's simply fair enough.

Seroquel, which is in fact a much better drug than the others, would actually provide much more curative benefits that would far outweight its disadvantages especially in the short-term (normally an average duration of 3 - 5 years).

Nonetheless, I'm in the opinion that the ones using such a drug should also at the same time, be wary of its potentially serious side effects, which might manifest over the long-term, and take the necessary early precautions against them for the sake of their personal well-beings and health cares.

Anyway, in terms of Seroquel's side effects, especially Tardive Dyskinesia, preventions are always better than the cures themselves.
Thankyou, are you taking Seroquel now or something else ?

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
'Thankyou, are you taking Seroquel now or something else ?'

Well, I am talking about both Seroquel and its potential side effects which are definitely inseparable.
Keyword being potential. :rolleyes:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I took that before for several months before I quit it .

Whilst the worst part of this drug is that, it will eventually cause the side effects of Tardive Dyskinesia of which I really detest very much.

Tardive Dyskinesia :

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthato...=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/tardive_dyskinesia.jsp

However, careful precautions would still need to be exercised for the use of such a drug in view of its potentially undesirable side effects.
I took seroquel for approx a year but had a coninuous dull headache with it. But the main benefit i did find was that it stopped my nightmares so i was kept on a low dose at night.

What i do find frightening is the note about TD. I am currently waiting to see a neurologist for what was initially called 'essential tremor' but its getting progressivly worse and my typeing has slowed down a lot. And eating has become quite difficult.(not the swallowing but the getting it on to the fork) I have requested several times to come off medication only to be told ill prob end up in hospital

Do we lose all rights when treated by a mental health team

bupanishad2012

bupanishad2012

Seroquel

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has been or is using this medicine, and would you care to share your experiences with it please? Good or bad. :)
After taking it for over ten years and having severe seizures from its use, as well as other side effects, I have stopped taking it and I am totally pissed at the doctor(s) that prescribed it for me! It ruined at least ten years of my life, and nearly caused my death. Finally, I pulled up "seroquel, seizures" from Google and found out that my seizures were almost certainly from its use. Using some nicotine during this period helped to slow down my seizures since the receptors for Seroquel and nicotine are the same, but stopping it entirely was my only final option. My (quack) psychiatrist gave it to me originally for bi-polar and schizoaffective disorders, and told me to take more when I felt bad. Things went from bad to worse as I took it. He experimented with me, I'm sure. Good thing I didn't get diabetes from it (so far)!

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
After taking it for over ten years and having severe seizures from its use, as well as other side effects, I have stopped taking it and I am totally pissed at the doctor(s) that prescribed it for me! It ruined at least ten years of my life, and nearly caused my death. Finally, I pulled up "seroquel, seizures" from Google and found out that my seizures were almost certainly from its use. Using some nicotine during this period helped to slow down my seizures since the receptors for Seroquel and nicotine are the same, but stopping it entirely was my only final option. My (quack) psychiatrist gave it to me originally for bi-polar and schizoaffective disorders, and told me to take more when I felt bad. Things went from bad to worse as I took it. He experimented with me, I'm sure. Good thing I didn't get diabetes from it (so far)!
Well hi. :)
I'm so sorry you had such an experience like that, and that it's name was Seroquel.
I'm a severe nicotine user and I must say my nervous tics are lessoned now on this med.
I was given 14 days worth of it. I see my doc tomorrow and I don't know what will happen re: meds. I also see a psychiatric nurse for the first time tomorrow and I will just play it by ear.

I'm on the Seroquel because I was ready to kill someone if not myself due to irritation in the extreme.

I certainly don't want to be on this medicine any longer than it takes to sort out the original problem; which is noise from my new neighbors.

I truly feel for you as I have RLS for life thanks to a stint with Haldol in the 90's.

Take care! :hug: and thank you for your input!

bupanishad2012

bupanishad2012

Seroquel

Please be assured that I am deeply in sympathy with your plight. I have had a hell of a time with mental health issues all my life, and Seroquel was just one more (bad) experience. Please also know that some people do respond favorably to Seroquel and I wouldn't want to sabotage their own use of it, or your's. My experience is anecdotal, not medical history, so please "take it with a grain of salt." Thanks for your kind response! We all need each other!
Sincerely,

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Hi,
I get the feeling you are apologising for your bad experiences. Please don't. Im on this med for a few days as apposed to your longer experience.

We are all so very different.

Your experience is valid and important! Don't you ever forget that, please.

Im hoping this is temporary for me as I so detest this kind of medicine to begin with.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, kind of thing.

There's a hospital bed with my name on it in the local mental hospital...but I've got two pets I adore so I'm doing everything possible to stay home = meds.

I'm hoping tomorrow will be a good day.

bupanishad2012

bupanishad2012

Seroquel

The last Post was enlightening, as well as somewhat more in depth than I was able to grasp. However, I did find that once the half-life of Seroquel was out of my body/mind, not only did the seizures stop, but I was also able to think clearly for the first time in years! It was like a new beginning! I find this amazing since one bottle of Seroquel I was given was labelled "For clearer thinking" or something to that effect. What a farce! I no doubt have congenital mental problems compounded by alcohol and drug use, but I was not ready for the "old folks home" just yet. Once I quit Seroquel I was years younger in thought, speech, and action (unfortunately, at 63, it did not help me much sexually). Being a Zen Buddhist/Theosophist helps me now more than anything---they are both rigorous thinking disciplines. Again, everyone is different and this is anecdotal, so "take it with a grain of salt."

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
A LARGE grain of salt. I want off of this med! Stopping today.

J

JackJenus

Seroquel

Horrrid medication never again I would take it, from personal experience.
This medication in large doses gave me taciacardia Fast Heart Beat, very dangerous, heart attack medication. You should look up the case studies for this medication being trialed on rats really interesting. Most rats had servere complications after being dosed on this medication. Two name a few blindness, fast heart, death. I'm going to suggest not taking this medication.
It works for some people not all though.
Every antidepressant and antipychotic has adverse reactions.(proven fact).
The only real cure is happyness, to fullfill the human need of existance=contentment.

GG Jack.:)