• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Quetiapine/Seroquel

lulubelle

lulubelle

Hi there,

i have just been diagnosed BP and the pdoc has prescribed me with Quetiapine. Does anyone else take these or have any information about them?
This will be my first night taking meds and I'm terrified, my babys dad has had her the past 2 nights, i've asked him to have her tonight because i'm scared of the side effects and being alone with a toddler the first night. but he just said i'm selfish and mental and have to have her.(such a charmer!)

what i'm scared of is not being able to wake up and her hurting herself in the morning - am I just being silly?

Thanks,
lu

Last edited:
N

NightShade

I don't think it's completely unreasonable in asking the father to take her overnight so you know how you'll react to the medication!:)

I've never taken Quetiapine, although I have (and continue) to take Olanzapine. Olanzapine is another atypical antipsychotic and it did virtually knock me out the first couple of days taking it - around 10 to 12 hours sleep the first couple of days. It has improved with time, though and I don't feel any worse for wear for taking it now. I think it's the "getting used to" part of the medication.:)

emski

emski

Totally depends on the dose and the severity of symptoms. The preparation makes a difference too - whether it is Seroquel or Seroquel XL. In general, quetiapine is sedating. In my experience it is sedating enough to put me to sleep, but an alarm clock, or noise or some disturbance will always wake me. Will also wake to go to the loo in the night if I need to. However, I'm on a fairly minor dose (jus enough), and so I can't comment on how sedating the higher dose is.

Chances are your pdoc will be starting you on a lower dose and gradually building higher anyway.

Feel free to PM me if you need to :flowers:

N

nattyone

Personally I wouldn't take it if I were alone in the house with a child. Is there somone else who can take care of her so you can see how u will react .

I dont say this lightly as I was on a dose of 300mg at nite and there is no way I could responsbly take care of a child after having taken it. Even walking down stairs was dangerous. I also found the first few weeks of taking it scarey however since then the drug has changed my life so you must definatly give it ago but put your own and your childs safety first , which is what it appears your trying to do . You jut need to have someone to support you while you do it.

Of course it could be that I was worse affected than everyone else I don't know I just wanted to let you know as a parent your concerns are very valid. I just wish the drs would have warned me before I started taking it. Luckily I lived with my boyfreind then and my children were older .

angrydad

angrydad

Totally Agree

I have to agree with nattyone. I take quetiapine and have just had the dose upped. It has a massive sedative effect and I would be feel, if my kids were small, I would be very unhappy about taking it. My kids are at uni so its not a problem:)

As to its effect, I have to say I find it extremly good and I'm glad I'm now taking it.

Your worries, in my experience, are well placed and I would urge you to make sure that your little one/s are well taken care of by someone else while you get used to them. It took me about four days to be able to get up at a reasonable time and be able to function properly.

I hope this helps

lulubelle

lulubelle

Thank you all. I really felt so strongly about it that I called his mother and insisted. I love my daughter and miss her, of course i want her here with me, but not if its not safe!

Just going to bed now, bit scared, nervous.:unsure:

emski

emski

I'm glad you did what you felt was right - good on you for that. Try and relax now in the knowledge she is safe and no doubt fast asleep without a care in the world.

I do hope you have a peaceful, restful night :sleep:

N

nattyone

Good for u lulu , if uve not taken tem yet stay calm and sleep well, feels odd at first but less so if u dint fight it . If ube taken hem already I hope your ok and getting a good sleep. I justbwaiting for mine to kick in.

emski

emski

Waiting for mine to kick in too nattyone, lol