• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Quetiapine (Seroquel) Experiences

Blue Opal

Blue Opal

HLon99, one more thing. I don't want to sound like a total lithium freak here (even if I am, tbh), but I read somewhere that lithium could be beneficial for adhd. I know you said you ruled out lithium because of the long term side effects, but maybe you can kill two birds with one stone. If then you still need an antipsychotic, you could go back on Abilify or try Seroquel.

JustinS1998

JustinS1998

Who's Ayo? There's no Ayo in this thread. If you were referring to me, I am Dutch so my English is flawed. Great if I made you laugh though. If you weren't referring to me, ignore this post.
Sorry Ayo is not a person , its just a word I use to kind of mean yo/hello (its like "aye" and "yo" combined) so sorry about the confusion

C

Consideration

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit but a question to Consideration regarding the Depakote... do you take the DR or ER version? If the DR, do you split the dose so you take it multiple times a day or do you take it all at once?
Hi Keith,
There is nothing on the packaging to indicate either but I would suggest it is the DR as two doses of 500mg morning and night = 1000mg/day

Hope this helps

Rich

K

keith74

Hi Keith,
There is nothing on the packaging to indicate either but I would suggest it is the DR as two doses of 500mg morning and night = 1000mg/day

Hope this helps

Rich
Thanks Rich. My wife takes 500mg a day of the DR and takes both 250mg tablets at night at the same time (as instructed). I hear DR tablets you should spit the dose so that you take it 2-3x throughout the day (like you do). She'll need to follow up with her psychiatrist to confirm.

C

Consideration

Thanks Rich. My wife takes 500mg a day of the DR and takes both 250mg tablets at night at the same time (as instructed). I hear DR tablets you should spit the dose so that you take it 2-3x throughout the day (like you do). She'll need to follow up with her psychiatrist to confirm.
Best to check although it should be instructed on the printed sheet from the pharmacist? with the medication.

K

keith74

Best to check although it should be instructed on the printed sheet from the pharmacist? with the medication.
The instructions on the sheet from the pharmacist says 2 pills at night. But it is a little contrary to what I have read elsewhere

Zero One

Zero One

With Seroquel my mood feels better and I have less anxiety, the one big problem is the voices are talking through me again. This just started happening today and I have to wait until Monday to tell my psychiatrist

K

keith74

With Seroquel my mood feels better and I have less anxiety, the one big problem is the voices are talking through me again. This just started happening today and I have to wait until Monday to tell my psychiatrist
What dose are you on? I hear that seroquel is not really effective for mania/psychosis unless you are at a fairly high dose (400mg+ daily)

Zero One

Zero One

What dose are you on? I hear that seroquel is not really effective for mania/psychosis unless you are at a fairly high dose (400mg+ daily)
Oh that would make sense I am on 200mg. Thank you for sharing that.

C

Consideration

I'm crazy as a bat right now
Hi Zero,
Do you have family support? Monday is a long way away.
If the voices are getting stronger go to AE before it's too late.

200mg of Q is only a therapeutic dose and in my experience used as a sleeper to be taken an hr before bed.
Is Q new to you?
We tried it for 18months at 800mg with no effect and the voices were there and eventually leading to psychosis and hospital.
Only you and your psychiatrist can get this right.

Regards
Rich

Zero One

Zero One

Hi Zero,
Do you have family support? Monday is a long way away.
If the voices are getting stronger go to AE before it's too late.

200mg of Q is only a therapeutic dose and in my experience used as a sleeper to be taken an hr before bed.
Is Q new to you?
We tried it for 18months at 800mg with no effect and the voices were there and eventually leading to psychosis and hospital.
Only you and your psychiatrist can get this right.

Regards
Rich
Thanks so much Rich. :hug: My family cares but they are hundreds of miles away from me. My little family where I am was recently broken apart. Q is new to me and at first my psychiatrist gave me 100mg then after 3 days he doubled it. I hope he will get back to me tomorrow to see if increasing it will help. I live in the states, what is AE? 18 months at 800 and no results sounds awful to me. I am hoping it will work for me if they increase it. There is an urgency to get me well from the state, and I think that is why he made the change from Geodon.

C

Consideration

Thanks so much Rich. :hug: My family cares but they are hundreds of miles away from me. My little family where I am was recently broken apart. Q is new to me and at first my psychiatrist gave me 100mg then after 3 days he doubled it. I hope he will get back to me tomorrow to see if increasing it will help. I live in the states, what is AE? 18 months at 800 and no results sounds awful to me. I am hoping it will work for me if they increase it. There is an urgency to get me well from the state, and I think that is why he made the change from Geodon.
"Accident and Emergency" where you would get immediate attention.

Every medication is different for each individual. Unfortunately, it is trial and error.

It sounds like the family break up has brought stress leading to the voices?
What is your condition?

Zero One

Zero One

"Accident and Emergency" where you would get immediate attention.

Every medication is different for each individual. Unfortunately, it is trial and error.

It sounds like the family break up has brought stress leading to the voices?
What is your condition?
I think you could be right about the stress but I have medicine to stop that. After the family break up I started having hallucinations and really bad paranoia, but the voices were not talking through me until Q. So maybe as you say the stress is manifesting itself this way.

My diagnosis is Schizoaffective Disorder delusions, Bipolar I disorder, Agoraphobia, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Unspecified Anxiety Disorder, and Moderate Post Traumatic Stress Disorder with dissociative symptoms.

C

Consideration

I think you could be right about the stress but I have medicine to stop that. After the family break up I started having hallucinations and really bad paranoia, but the voices were not talking through me until Q. So maybe as you say the stress is manifesting itself this way.

My diagnosis is Schizoaffective Disorder delusions, Bipolar I disorder, Agoraphobia, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Unspecified Anxiety Disorder, and Moderate Post Traumatic Stress Disorder with dissociative symptoms.
Your diagnosis is very similar to my Wife - Bipolar 1 with Schizoaffective disorder with EUPD.
Medication will always struggle to compete with stress.
Help from the professionals and family is the key. Sooner than later before it takes over.

It can be a long road to finding peace with the right treatment and medication but with determination and support, it will happen.
It took us two years with hospitalizations to get where we are today.

Regards
Rich