• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Quetiapine (Seroquel) Experiences

C

Consideration

At the low dosages of Quetiapine it does not work as an antipsychotic, more of an antihistamine, if I remember correctly.
Quetiapine was not effective for my psychosis, and I had breakthrough psychosis even at 400mg/day.
Quetiapine is extremely drowsy, it does pass, just hangs around in the morning.
Our experience with Q was not positive (Here in England it seems to be the go-to Antipsychotic).
After her 3rd admission to the hospital with Psychosis and taking 800mg of Q, they decided to change it.
It's a sedative so it makes you lethargic, joint pain, constipation, weight gain to mention a few but we know all medications work differently for each person!!
We are on:
Depakote 1000mg Lamo 200mg and Ability (3wks) which is working Brilliantly after 18month of different meds.
Meds are not good for the liver but there are ways of looking after the toxicity by good diets and drinking enough fluids.

The best of luck

regards
Rich

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Seroquel is fine been on it for years. Dont listen to scare stories

M

Maria08

I was on it for years and lost weight but it made me irritable in the morning.

LadyDomino

LadyDomino

For me, I was on Q XL for about 3 years, I put on over 3 stone, and had joint pain. It did nothing for sleep and killed my libido. Since being off it (now about 5 years) I still can't lose the weight and my libido hasn't returned. Personally I would not have it again or recommend it to anyone.

Opalescence

Opalescence

Here's my input.
Seroquel does not start blocking dopamine at doses lower than about 250 mg, so you'll need a high dosage, about 500 mg, for significant antipsychotic effect. The antidepressant effect maxes out at around 300 mg. At lower doses than 150 mg it is only an antihistamine/sedative.
I personally liked it, I need the sedation for sleep, but that effect wears out after a few years. The antidepressant effect for me was minimal until I added lithium. I've been taking Seroquel for 13 years and I want to come off it because I feel it is no longer effective and I am scared of long term side effects. I can't succeed in lowering the dose though. It is VERY hard to discontinue because you won't sleep.
I haven't gained weight, I only experience dry mouth and eyes and ocassionaly restless legs at night and rapid heartbeat.

Hope this helps you in making a decision.

HLon99

HLon99

Here's my input.
Seroquel does not start blocking dopamine at doses lower than about 250 mg, so you'll need a high dosage, about 500 mg, for significant antipsychotic effect. The antidepressant effect maxes out at around 300 mg. At lower doses than 150 mg it is only an antihistamine/sedative.
I personally liked it, I need the sedation for sleep, but that effect wears out after a few years. The antidepressant effect for me was minimal until I added lithium. I've been taking Seroquel for 13 years and I want to come off it because I feel it is no longer effective and I am scared of long term side effects. I can't succeed in lowering the dose though. It is VERY hard to discontinue because you won't sleep.
I haven't gained weight, I only experience dry mouth and eyes and ocassionaly restless legs at night and rapid heartbeat.

Hope this helps you in making a decision.
Yeah, thats what I heard too. I'll prob ask for around 300mg, as my mania isn't that bad.

T

timing

Taking 300mg of seroquel at night for 2 years. I need to sleep or I get into trouble. I take 3 other night meds as well. I do feel somewhat groggy when I wake up. It lasts about an hour. I have gained weight. I am not sure which drug is the weight culprit. It's all working for me until it doesn't. One of the challenges I have is most meds work and then a major change is needed.

HLon99

HLon99

Taking 300mg of seroquel at night for 2 years. I need to sleep or I get into trouble. I take 3 other night meds as well. I do feel somewhat groggy when I wake up. It lasts about an hour. I have gained weight. I am not sure which drug is the weight culprit. It's all working for me until it doesn't. One of the challenges I have is most meds work and then a major change is needed.
What other meds are you on?

JustinS1998

JustinS1998

Ayo I have no idea about any of the drugs that you are talking about but I just came on here to say that your grammar is phenomenal , usually I like to laugh in my head about when people mess up simple things when typing these posts but your vocabulary was on a different level , just felt like popping in to say that lol

T

timing

Trazadone 175 mg., 100 mg lamotrigine, 300 mg lithium with an additional 300 mg lamotrigine in the am. Should say doc does blood work every 6 months to check lithium levels and liver function for the seroquel

K

keith74

This is interesting. My wife was on 100mg Seroquel for awhile (in addition to Depakote/Epival). I thought it was to help combat bipolar depression but looks like all it did was help her sleep. I'm not sure why her psychiatrist would perscribe a such low dose (she never had issues sleeping when at baseline)

K

keith74

Depakote 1000mg
Sorry to hijack this thread a bit but a question to Consideration regarding the Depakote... do you take the DR or ER version? If the DR, do you split the dose so you take it multiple times a day or do you take it all at once?

Opalescence

Opalescence

@keith74: at 100 mg Seroquel does have some antidepressant effect, but it's not that much. If taken with another med that works as an AD the effect increases, but Depakote had no AD effect as far as I know.

@HLon: I read this article about the antipsychotic effect of Seoquel:

It says: "Mean D(2) receptor occupancies of 41 and 30% were observed at quetiapine doses of 750 and 450 mg/day. At lower dose levels no occupancy could be determined"

So you will need more than 300 mg if you want it for psychosis.

Opalescence

Opalescence

Ayo I have no idea about any of the drugs that you are talking about but I just came on here to say that your grammar is phenomenal , usually I like to laugh in my head about when people mess up simple things when typing these posts but your vocabulary was on a different level , just felt like popping in to say that lol
Who's Ayo? There's no Ayo in this thread. If you were referring to me, I am Dutch so my English is flawed. Great if I made you laugh though. If you weren't referring to me, ignore this post.

HLon99

HLon99

Thank you. I'm glad someone appreciates.