• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Quetiapine for tinnitus-induced insomnia; withdrawal/ side effects and tapering help

J

JJ614

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this site and I’ve read every thread I could concerning quetiapine withdrawal before posting here. However, I still have a few unanswered questions about quetiapine side effects, and the withdrawal process.

First, a little about me. I’m a 28 y/o male 6’3” weighing +/- 220lbs (~100kg). My life was turned upside down the summer of 2019 by an elderly driver pulling out in front of me causing a head-on collision w/ airbag deploy, which destroyed my left ear and led to horrible hyperacusis and tinnitus. I could deal with the hyperacusis but the tinnitus is destroying every part of me.

In early-to-mid October 2019, I was hospitalized due to debilitating tinnitus-associated insomnia. I couldn’t sleep on 100 & 200mg quetiapine so I was raised to 300mg, where I finally managed to get some sleep. I realize quetiapine is an incredibly serious drug and would absolutely be off of it were it not for my frustratingly moderate-to-severe tinnitus. I am also on 15mg mirtazapine.

I managed to taper down to 225mg and I can still get about 8-10 hours of sleep on that dose, and have been stable on that for 3 months now. I am TERRIFIED of developing EPS (tardive dyskinesia, akathisia, RLS) and have been trying to taper low. I have mild RLS/akathisia that presents after dosing quetiapine that I have not previously had in the past—it makes me move one extremity or the other out of some feeling between restlessness or numbness. It’s not debilitating, but I’ve been having a harder time getting to sleep when formerly I could have just laid my head on the pillow and almost immediately drifted off (some exceptions to this some nights but nothing terribly serious).

These symptoms frighten me. I was on 300-250mg for two or so months, and have been on 225mg since the new year. Since this symptom has appeared I’ve tried to cut down to 200mg as of last night and my sleep was comparatively much poorer. Tinnitus woke me up after 6.5 hours of sleep, leaving me anxious, groggy, heart racing (140bpm), and essentially just wanting to die.

I’ve been on this medication for 4.5 months. Treatments to alleviate or cure tinnitus are some year and a half to two years away (I am very active on tinnitustalk.com and am very aware of the most promising treatments’ release timelines). Is it dangerous for me to keep using 225mg until a treatment presents itself?

I don’t know how I would sleep without it but my biggest fear is developing TD or severe akathisia as a result of long term use. Is this usually the case in much higher doses, or for longer periods of time, or a product of an inappropriate taper? These are the symptoms that scare me the most. If I’m healed of tinnitus I can deal with (relatively) short term insomnia, migraines, body aches, etc. but what I refuse to live with is an extensive or permanent neurological disorder. That route would definitely end in my suicide.

Can anyone lend me any certainty, or at least some comfort in my concerns? It looks like people really don’t develop long term EPS even when they’ve been on it for longer, are female, on higher doses and fail to conduct a prudent tapering regimen. If I was healed of T, my schedule would be:

Month 1-200mg

Month 2-187.5mg

Month 3-175mg

Month 4-162.5mg

Month 5-150mg

Month 6-137.5mg

Month 7-125mg

Month 8-112.5mg

Month 9-100mg ~may stabilize here for a bit and try to find a compounding pharmacy for liquid solutions and decrease a few mg every week or so

In total, I will probably be on 225mg for 2 years, before I begin to be able to taper down. How risky is 225mg this long for my age/weight/gender?

Thank you all so much in advance. I’m very scared.

A

Aurora45

Hi
I'm really sorry that I can't add anything positive or helpful but I'd just like to send you compassionate thoughts. I'm having a terrible time with anxiety since a bereavement and just want some quietness of mind but this relentless and high pitched monotone in both ears just feels like I'm being nagged at 24/7. It started off in one ear, then both. I get other noises too. I'd give anything for even less than a minute of silence, because then, there's hope you may have another few seconds of silence in the future. People that don't have the condition just don't have a clue. All the best to you and keep well. ( I'm not sure if my Tinnitus came about through TMJ dysfunction where the jaw and ear areas go wonky, many people think it's solely all about noise exposure, but it isn't so.)