• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Quetiapine and weight gain

• Thread starter butterflykisses
  • Start date
B

butterflykisses

I am currently on Quetiapine and Lamictal. I know that Quetiapine commonly causes weight gain. No. I am not going to let that happen. It’s just because of increased appetite and slowed metabolism. I will just work out a lot, restrict my eating.. both calories and types of food. I’m on the low of the healthy weight range for my height. But I want to do everything I can to do avoid gaining weight.
Does anyone else have suggestions or experience you want to share?
my psychiatrist asked about how my appetite has been. I told her “better than it was” but I don’t want to say how much or little I’ve been eating. I know I don’t eat enough on a regular basis.

sam999

sam999

you should try to eat more before it turns into disordered Eating. my ed started out like this. youre not going to gain weight because you eat normal. just try to avoid Fastfood etc and you'll be fine:)

K

keith74

Everyone is different and have different reactions to medication. My wife has been on quetiapine for a few years (on and off) and weight gain was never an issue. The main thing she felt was the drowsiness that is common with many antipsychotics. This was different from when she tried olanzapine and it gave her constant hunger cravings at higher doses. But she was able to deal with it reasonably well with a healthy diet, lots of exercise, and not keeping any snack foods in the house.

B

butterflykisses

you should try to eat more before it turns into disordered Eating. my ed started out like this. youre not going to gain weight because you eat normal. just try to avoid Fastfood etc and you'll be fine:)
Ya I know, I have had an ed for years. I’ve been kind of in a quasi recovery state. Part of me wants to recover and do what’s best for my body, but I feel so held back by the fear of weight gain. My therapist knows I’m struggling with it. But there’s not a lot anyone can do if I don’t actually want to get better.

HLon99

HLon99

I've seen you post about this before. I'm sorry that you haven't had any progress with your eating disorder. You needn't fear Quetiapine, for most it only makes minor changes in weight. Look at this as an oppurtunity to get yourself back to a healthy weight, rather than something to be feared about. Every cloud has a silver lining.

B

butterflykisses

maybe. We’ll see. I still want to restrict and lose more weight just until I’ve been on quetiapine for a couple more months. I know that some people gain a whole bunch of weight and I don’t want that to be me.