• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Questions on Venlafaxine and Propranolol...anyone familiar?

P

PaleRider13

A few months ago I was presented with Propranolol 30mgs to get anxiety under control. Had a panic attack as soon as I took it and it did nothing to calm me, if anything it made my attack last much longer than usual.

Went back to doctors a few weeks ago and he prescribed Venlafaxine, also 30mgs. Thing is I'm already on Mirtazapine 45mgs daily. I've read that going from one anti-depressant to another with no tapering can have bad side effects but the doctor says there should be no issue going from one to the other over the course of a night. He did however say that there may be a chance that my epilepsy could get worse as a result.

The whole idea seems pretty fishy to me and I'm very wary of trying out any new medication plans my doctor gives me. What are other people's experience with Propranolol and/or Venlafaxine? Does it help keep the nerves in check? Can I trust my doctor? Or am I just too insecure about my potential reactions to new medication?

TiredTina

TiredTina

Admin
  • Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

J

Jezabella

Meds work different for everyone so what’s right for me won’t be for you, I have 10mg propananol- I take one daily and have two more for when i feel I need them. I found it helpful for panic attacks although once my anxiety is at crisis level it always takes a good few weeks for the meds to work again good luck x

D

Di9nysus

I have found Propranolol useful. I take 80mg in the morning so I get the 12 hours of benefit up until the evening. If I am more anxious in the morning I double it to 160mg.

I have also been on Venlafaxine straight after a period of trying 3 other medications (trying 3/4 weeks on each) without tapering off. In my experience tapering off is when your looking to come off ADs altogether not when you are working with the doctor to find the right one for you.

The 3 I tried prior to Venlafaxine did not help and after 2 and a half weeks of Venlafaxine my depression lifted quite a bit.

Di9

D

Di9nysus

Should say, the Propranolol I use is a sustained release version meaning it's released steadily through the day rather than in the one go.

Di9

J

Jezabella

I wonder if that may be helpful for me when my anxiety is at crisis level. Can you swap between the sustained release and fast release ones? When I’m on a good level I only really need to propananol to get through stressful situations which I’m still identifying triggers for, when my mood is low my anxiety is at critical level 24/7

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Venlafaxine helped my depression where other meds didn't. It may or may not work for you.

D

Di9nysus

I wonder if that may be helpful for me when my anxiety is at crisis level. Can you swap between the sustained release and fast release ones? When I’m on a good level I only really need to propananol to get through stressful situations which I’m still identifying triggers for, when my mood is low my anxiety is at critical level 24/7
Doctor said Propranolol can be taken whenever needed. I don't see a reason why you wouldn't be able to switch.

U

user9898

I re-started venlafaxine 2 weeks ago and it is having a good effect on my anxiety and depression but a lot of gas unfortunately. I had this before and I think the problem goes away if you skip some doses but I have trouble remembering. Anyone managed to solve this problem? I would appreciate it!

PlasticPilot

PlasticPilot

Propranolol really worked for me and diminished the anxiety for 4-5 hours after taking it ................ only take it when you start to feel anxious is my advice :)

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Venlafaxine for over a decade. Never had any problems with gas that I attributed to it.
Venlafaxine helps yes. The intoxicating feeling goes away once you get used to it.
Problem is for me it's a ticking time bomb. If a psychiatrist decides to stop it for any reason I'll end up suicidal and in hospital if I'm lucky. The sudden onset of symptoms and especially the severe withdrawal symptoms are unbearable.

U

user9898

Venlafaxine for over a decade. Never had any problems with gas that I attributed to it.
Venlafaxine helps yes. The intoxicating feeling goes away once you get used to it.
Problem is for me it's a ticking time bomb. If a psychiatrist decides to stop it for any reason I'll end up suicidal and in hospital if I'm lucky. The sudden onset of symptoms and especially the severe withdrawal symptoms are unbearable.
I agree about the sudden onset of symptoms when you stop taking it. Most doctors don't know about this as the pharma companies say it's a depot drug but as with almost all drugs, the body metabolizes it quicker the longer you use it.
I tried to stop taking it for four months and it went relatively good albeit with more anxiety and depression but when I got hit with bigger stressors, I got severe anxiety and depression so I had to start taking it again.
The positive was that it only took two weeks to get the positive effects back.
The negative is that I am emotionally blunted and my appetite is through the roof so I have to keep a journal about the food I am eating. I have completely lost all sexual interest on it as usual. At least I can function at work and pay my bills and not kill myself.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I need to exercise my heart. I've got high cholesterol and high blood pressure.
I'm not overweight. But I'm not fit either. So I bought a skipping rope.

U

user9898

Sounds like a good idea @schizolanza !
I read a study that compared doing physical exercise for 180 mins per week with just 55 mins and they had the same positive effect on cholesterol and all the other variables.