• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

questions for you...

M

ms1985

Hi,

I started hearing a man's voice in my head at a particularly stressful time last year. I work for the NHS and they noticed a change in behaviour and I was forced to have a mental health assessment before they'd let me work again. I lied and said I had not heard voices as I didn't want to be prevented from working. I am back at work and am also doing a part time degree. The man's voice is still there but is very quiet and distant. I really hate hearing voices as it means I cannot drink and I feel like I have a mental health problem. I really want to be a speech therapist in a couple of years but I am worried about this man's voice in my head.
How long did you hear voices for and are you able to work in a professional job?
I can cope with this voice but I am worried that it will prevent me from working in jobs in which I can earn more money. I am also worried about being honest with employers about mental health problems.

Have you been honest with them and has it been ok?

Many thanks,

M.S (female, aged 23)