• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Questions about what the Psychiatrist said and the anti-psychotic Olanzapine?

T

tony2010

Questions about what the Psychiatrist said and the anti-psychotic Olanzapine?

Questions about what Doctor said and the anti-psychotic Olanzapine(Zyprexa)?
Hi. I am 22 and live in Glasgow. I was in hospital for about 5 days in February this year for low mood. When i seen the psychiatrist last week i told him i had been experiencing things such as racing thoughts, ontop of the world feeling, sleep problems ect. I told him i think my Mum might have Bipolar too.He prescribed me with an anti-psychotic called Olanzapine(Zyprexa). He started me on 15mg but he says if it is too much just take 10mg. Anyway i asked him do i have Bipolar and he said "it sounds like it".
I have a few questions i hope you don't mind answering.

1)A few days ago when i asked the pdoc in Glasgow if i had Bipolar he said "it sounds like it" is that a diagnosis of Bipolar then?
2)Is Olanzapine(Zyprexa) sufficient enough to treat Bipolar Disorder alone?
3)If i find that the anti-psychotic makes me feel better will i be kept on them for the long term?
Thank you very much

J

jema88

I do certainly think you have been diagnosed bi-polar..
im not sure if olanzapine is enough to treat it... i met a guy in hospital that was just on it but 20 mg... im on 7.5 olanzapine 600mg carbamazapine... 40mg fluxotine!!!
&& im sure if this works for you you will be on it long term.. i think more than likely for the rest of your life no doubt!!..xxxx