• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Questions about the efficacy of medications in treating anxiety disorder

I

IMust

Hello everyone,

I have two questions. First, I was reading about social anxiety on the Harvard website and they mentioned that medications to treat generalized anxiety can work as fast as in 8 to 12 weeks. My mind is having trouble accepting such a timeline because then why are there so many people struggling for so long when what was described on that page seemed a sure fire way to solve the problem. Can anyone help me understand?

Second, I have to moderate an online conference in about 8 days and I'm super anxious about it. I have read there are drugs that a person could take to help with specific situations. Does anyone here have any experience with this?

PS: Advice on how to manage anxiety for the conference are also welcome.

G

girlboss

You have to be careful with anxiety medications, many are habit forming (advice from a nursing student). However, medicine like Prozac, which is typically used for depression, can be used to treat anxiety too. The two typically go hand in hand anyway. And it’s not likely to cause a habit. Conference advice, before I have to do a presentation, I like to think I am talking to my best friend about my topic. I want to provide as much detail and education as I can to truly attract the audience. It also helps with the anxiety because I don’t know about you, but I’m not worried at all about talking to my best friend. Or, another reliable way to cope, is to simply not think, just do what needs to be done, and finish. Get it behind you so you don’t have to worry later.

K

karl7

as regards public spaeking, you could try Toast Masters....its a self help group to overcome your fear of public speaking

as regards meds i used ot be on sertraline butit did not work

E

Eirlys

Hello everyone,

I have two questions. First, I was reading about social anxiety on the Harvard website and they mentioned that medications to treat generalized anxiety can work as fast as in 8 to 12 weeks. My mind is having trouble accepting such a timeline because then why are there so many people struggling for so long when what was described on that page seemed a sure fire way to solve the problem. Can anyone help me understand?

Second, I have to moderate an online conference in about 8 days and I'm super anxious about it. I have read there are drugs that a person could take to help with specific situations. Does anyone here have any experience with this?

PS: Advice on how to manage anxiety for the conference are also welcome.
Hi,
Medication definitely doesn't work for everyone but sometimes it can be beneficial. For me it massively reduced my anxiety (i started taking sertraline). While I still have some difficulties, it has made it more managable and has had the biggest impact on my social anxiety but has also reduced other anxieties a bit. If you wanted to try medication, you have to be prepared that it might not work and will probably need to use other techniques to cope still.
Good luck with your conference!

I

IMust

@girlboss Thanks for the warning about some anxiety medication being "habit-forming". I have built more confidence when it comes to giving speeches, but moderating is entirely new to me and it looks like it might require to make up a lot of things as I go. I'm currently in a good place mentally though.

@karl7 Thanks for your suggestion about toast masters. I'm sorry the medication didn't work out for you.

@Eirlys Hmmm. It's fantastic to hear that medication has helped you. I guess regardless of the true figures, it's great that there are people who get some relief from medication. I have been doing fine without them so far but it would be nice to have some this one time as an insurance cause I fear this is the sort of test that could cause me a setback. I will just give myself a pep talk