• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Questions about suicidal thoughts....could trigger.

S

starzzzzz

Is it normal to sometimes feel a bit suicidal?

I mean, do normal people without mental health problems sometimes think 'Well, i could just end it and then it wouldn't matter'. Ive asked my mentally well friends and none of them think this way.

I've always thought about it. Its almost like its a reassurance for me that if things get to difficult, thats my back up plan. Ive only ever had an attempt once, and im here to tell the tale.

Im much better now, but its almost a bit annoying that my brain holds on to it as a back up plan. My friends say they would never dream of doing that. I find it hard to talk to my doctor because the doctor expects to hear about whats been different/difficult etc, so i never say about these thoughts because they are so normal to me. Are these thoughts normal??

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Normal? I don't know. I don't think so. I can only answer as someone in the same situation you're in. Suicidal thoughts have been with me on and off for as long as I can remember but no, I don't think any of my friends have entertained such thoughts.

I would say that it would be worth discussing these thoughts with your doctor, particularly if you feel at times like acting on them. If it's a case of only having them as a back up plan, without considering them more seriously (as in, with intent) then it's up to you if you feel comfortable talking about it.