• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Questioning diagnosis

F

firemonkee57

I don't question I am prone to paranoia but I do question my diagnosis of paranoid PD. This is because I am what I call a "fearful paranoiac " and I do not seem to fit the very negative descriptors for paranoid PD. If an intelligent revision of the criteria occurred to cover two subsets ie (1) aggressive and hostile paranoiacs and (2) avoidant and fearful paranoiacs then I would be more willing to accept the diagnosis.

F

flatz

Do you ever self diagnose, and if so what is this or do you not feel you have any diagnosis?

SarahD

SarahD

I know from what you have written before that you have had several other diagnoses before this one. It is possible the psychiatrist could be wrong. It sometimes seems like each one just picks a different diagnosis.

Also with personality disorders most people who are diagnosed with one will not fit every trait listed, sometimes they may have "bits" of several. (I suspect everyone has traits of several!)

I think you are more likely to be right than the psychiatrist because you know your personality better. No matter how much they have studied, diagnoses are not often consistent between different psychiatrists, and some seem to favour one diagnosis over another. My GP once said to me that if you annoy them (mental health) they diagnose you with a personality disorder. I think he was at least half serious.

F

firemonkee57

Do you ever self diagnose, and if so what is this or do you not feel you have any diagnosis?
I feel as things currently stand I have primary anxiety with secondary mood and thought symptoms . You also possibly/probably could throw into the mix- learning difficulty.
I prefer describing in that way rather than plumping for a definitive DSM/ICD diagnosis.