• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

question

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

can you look after someone and still need support yourself?
hermit bf is my carer but he struggles badly with his mental health too
i get PIP and i think he should try and claim too as he can't get carers allowance or his esa would stop
he struggles as i do but he still manages to do a good job of looking after me
when in a depressive episode he doesn't dress bath or eat properly
and people find it difficult to be around him when he is manic because he behaves very oddly-but im used to it now
and boy does he over spend in a manic phase

so i claim PIP hermit looks after me ,he has his own mh issues-is he also entitled to PIP if he meets the criteria? x

L

Ladyfair

Hi Lu I don't know how things work in the UK I would think he would need a note from his Dr. Could be wrong.🌹

D

Deleted member 95740

If you meet the criteria for any benefit you are entitled.to claim for it.
I get ESA and PIP. It's very little finance wise, but it allows me to obtain a bus pass which helps as I don't drive.

i_must_be_mad

i_must_be_mad

I guess there is no harm in trying. If he on ESA Support Group, is he or has he ever been under CMHT services, psychiatrist, CPN or therapist, lots gp appointments. But I get DLA still, and ESA Support Group and I work 8 hours a week also and live alone but I think my diagnosis of schizophrenia and previous history of work problems, coping issues and hospitalisations may have helped me when I finally got on DLA, but I was very reliant on my parents support. But not caring for himself at times such as hygiene and not going out ie is that due to extreme anxieties. I had dreadful panic going out, many years ago and got DLA. It sounds like he would have a chance but if you have any access to someone who may be able help you with how fill out the forms. I would emphasise the bad days and how down or anxious he can get. I manage myself much better now than I did and support services have helped me realise I am on my benefits so that I can have the best life possible for me. I think he would have a decent chance. Do you have copies of his previous ESA forms. I know they slightly different but it could help looking back as well on that. I got turned down DLA previously and seen as my work I never could hold down any job, tried again and got it. Does he have any official mh diagnoses as well. I know it shouldn't but I think that might help also. Good luck with it though.