• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Question

S

Shifter

This is going to sound really bad (I am always concerned about sounding bad and I know I usually sound bad) but is it possible to develop some kind of depression due to a relatively long-distance (not long-distance enough to develop culture shock) move (like when you move from one area to another)? Sorry for all the brackets I am just trying to fit it into one sentence so it is clearer although it is probably not clearer. Thank you

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
I suppose that any major move can play a part in how you feel. If you have moved away from all your friends and the things and places that are familiar to you it could be likened to a sort of grieving for that which you have lost. I'm sorry if this sounds a little bit like amateur psychiatry I'm just trying to answer your question honestly and perhaps help you see why you feel as you do. I had the misfortune to move, with my parents, about 10 times before I was 16 so I never really had a chance to belong anywhere, but it's probably worse for you if this is your first major move, it must be a terrible wrench away from all that you know. Take care.

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
I think so - I believe that moving very soon after I had my second child contibuted to post-natal depression in my case, and that just the prospect of moving again years later triggered this latest bout of depression. I believe that there is some kind of grieving for the life you thought you were going to have, but were unable to have due to circumstances outside your control. I think it matters whether you choose to move or not - in my case, we didn't choose to move and although logically it was a good move to make, it just doesn't feel like it. I believe that any kind of loss can lead to depression, and moving can certainly fall into the category of loss.

S

Shifter

Thanks to both of you. :)
I moved a lot before I was 10 as well, but since I was 10 (and now I am 18) I have lived in the same place (well, within 30 kms of where I live now... I've lived an 8 hours plane ride from here for 1/3 my life so 30 kilometres is nothing!). Over the summer my family and I moved to the States from Canada (mind you I was dragged over there completely against my will, but what can I do) and I don't know what happened to me, I thought I became a whole another person or something, it was just... not me, because I was sleeping like 14+ hours per day and I gained like 7 lbs. However about 2 months ago (in late August) I came back to where I used to live in Canada since I was 10, for university just because it was getting so bad that I knew could not possible study with myself in that situation

Thanks again sorry for sounding bad.

Last edited: