• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Question

S

Shifter

This is going to sound really bad (I am always concerned about sounding bad and I know I usually sound bad) but is it possible to develop some kind of depression due to a relatively long-distance (not long-distance enough to develop culture shock) move (like when you move from one area to another)? Sorry for all the brackets I am just trying to fit it into one sentence so it is clearer although it is probably not clearer. Thank you

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
I suppose that any major move can play a part in how you feel. If you have moved away from all your friends and the things and places that are familiar to you it could be likened to a sort of grieving for that which you have lost. I'm sorry if this sounds a little bit like amateur psychiatry I'm just trying to answer your question honestly and perhaps help you see why you feel as you do. I had the misfortune to move, with my parents, about 10 times before I was 16 so I never really had a chance to belong anywhere, but it's probably worse for you if this is your first major move, it must be a terrible wrench away from all that you know. Take care.

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
I think so - I believe that moving very soon after I had my second child contibuted to post-natal depression in my case, and that just the prospect of moving again years later triggered this latest bout of depression. I believe that there is some kind of grieving for the life you thought you were going to have, but were unable to have due to circumstances outside your control. I think it matters whether you choose to move or not - in my case, we didn't choose to move and although logically it was a good move to make, it just doesn't feel like it. I believe that any kind of loss can lead to depression, and moving can certainly fall into the category of loss.

S

Shifter

Thanks to both of you. :)
I moved a lot before I was 10 as well, but since I was 10 (and now I am 18) I have lived in the same place (well, within 30 kms of where I live now... I've lived an 8 hours plane ride from here for 1/3 my life so 30 kilometres is nothing!). Over the summer my family and I moved to the States from Canada (mind you I was dragged over there completely against my will, but what can I do) and I don't know what happened to me, I thought I became a whole another person or something, it was just... not me, because I was sleeping like 14+ hours per day and I gained like 7 lbs. However about 2 months ago (in late August) I came back to where I used to live in Canada since I was 10, for university just because it was getting so bad that I knew could not possible study with myself in that situation

Thanks again sorry for sounding bad.

Last edited: