• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Question to anyone with DID.

cassandra36

cassandra36

How long did it take for you to get diagnosed? Were you misdiagnosed?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Hey Cassandra, i'm sorry you've not had any replies yet. I notice this was posted almost a week ago, so I just thought i'd reply to "bump" the thread.

Mister.B

Mister.B

I am not diagnosed with DID but I think this is because I am currently misdiagnosed.

Although, in reality I don't know if I am diagnosed with DID actually because one of my others always destroys my notes that my CC gives me. :doh:

I have heard it *can* take a while to be diagnosed with it though.

Mister.B

Mister.B

I would like to add to what I said by saying that now I display little to no symptoms of DID (apart from a couple of weeks ago when I was under the influence of drugs). So know knows?

I could also be diagnosed with DDNOS which is probably, one would assume, the biggest barrier to being diagnosed as DID. I don't fully understand why they are not the same thing. If you have different identities within you then surely you have 'Dissociative Identity Disorder' by very definition, right?

In the past, it has seemed like my support workers have not wished to acknowledge my talking about the others though, so maybe that is also a barrier for a lot of people being diagnosed with DID.

Did you pose the question for any particular reason?

cassandra36

cassandra36

Yeah I get that too, they don't want to talk about Cassandra. They see me or me dressed like a woman. It is what it is. I do have mental health professionals who care about me though. that does mean something.

calypso

calypso

Admin
I'll ask a lady on here who is diagnosed with DID if she wants to answer you.

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

Hello my name is Lincoln. I have been diagnosed DID since Feb 2014. I've been "in the system" or whatever since I was 12 years old and I'm now 24.5, I was never diagnosed with anything but psychotic depression until I was 20. Then I was diagnosed with everything under the sun except for Bipolar (until now...).

There are a lot of concurrent disorders that I have. But the underlying one is DID.

I was in the state hospital and they didn't diagnose me DID. My therapist did though and the psychiatrist in the last hospital I was in agreed.