• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Question to any POC reading this right now

• Thread starter drowninginshameandguilt
  • Start date
D

drowninginshameandguilt

Do you think that black families, latino families, and afro-latino families find talking about mental health or your own mental health struggles taboo. I found it very hard to open to my family about my mental health problems.

N

Nukelavee

I'm white - but my neighbour, who is Latina, is pretty open about her anxiety, and her daughter's.

Mind you, that may be because I'm open about my issues.

It's an interesting question.

I

iaislupitaa

I am Mexican and I feel the same way with my family. The only family members I feel like I can open up to are my cousins but no adults. We dont even say I love you to each other, we just know.

I

Iamastar

Dear Drowninginshameandguilt,

To be honest my family were really tough to deal with, especially my mother due to her denial of my disorder, she still makes mistakes sometimes. I have just tried to keep emphasising the fact that i need her to acknowledge this problem. She's really gotten better over time. I feel close enough to tell her anything and even though she speaks a different, and has a different culture entirely due to her being Bangladeshi, she and I trust each and get along. I feel warmth and love when she's near, because she means a lot more to me now. When i was a teenager being around her wasn't enough to get me out of my self isolation or my head (if you can imagine that was distressing). I wish you all the best with your family, because they are so important, please have patients with them. We are all so lucky to have family so do treasure them and know that it will be worth it in the end. That's my personal experience, some families are different. But, if your mother cares, just try to make her understand.

Iamastar! Xs

J

JCPraha

I am white, but I have had quite a number of black friends and acquaintances. None of the people that I know who are black ever talked about being depressed. Depression does not seem to be common among all the people I have known. It doesn't seem to be a problem that black people like to talk about But to be honest, none of the people I have known seem to be depressed. It seems white people ( including me) or always whining about being depressed.

I

Iamastar

Hi
I am white, but I have had quite a number of black friends and acquaintances. None of the people that I know who are black ever talked about being depressed. Depression does not seem to be common among all the people I have known. It doesn't seem to be a problem that black people like to talk about But to be honest, none of the people I have known seem to be depressed. It seems white people ( including me) or always whining about being depressed.
Hey JCpraha,

I’ve met several Afro-Caribbean or Afro-American people who were diagnosed with depression. I don’t know if it’s common, but it’s not uncommon. Depression can exist in anyone. Like all mental health illnesses it has a unique manifestation. Everyone’s brain network is wired in a unique way. But, it could be that the black community is a better environment for depressed people growing up, or it’s worse and black people are forced to adjust. Not that your less able to adjust. Every situation is unique, I don’t think mental health knows any culture or religion in particular.

J

JCPraha

I suppose you are right. That is just my limited experience. Of course most people of any race cannot understand my depression. Only another person who has experienced mental illnees can relate.

I

Iamastar

I suppose you are right. That is just my limited experience. Of course most people of any race cannot understand my depression. Only another person who has experienced mental illnees can relate.
I don't think you've met enough people, because I have a few friends who I love. They are really understanding and they are aware of my issues. We have mutual respect for each other and they occassionaly hear about my bad days, mostly they are just very supportive. I recommend that you keep you looking for great friends. Mostly you'll find them amongst smart and empathetic people.