• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

question Help

H

HCGW112010

:confused:my son has has a mild form of autism, and also has adhd. what are some tips on how to better help him with it? and what can i do to make him not feel different?

mind you i also deal with my own mental illnesses so i may not be much help to him without some advice

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

Just support him as much as you can. Having a family member with mental illness is hard. Almost every one in my family has them. With physical illnesses too. Hang in there. I'm glad your mood is happy though.

Kerome

Kerome

I’m afraid I don’t know that much of the specifics of those conditions. It’s difficult for those people who are “mild” something, because you don’t wholly fit all the symptoms of one type or everything of another. In your place I’d probably read a few books on autism and adhd, and see what things fit and what things don’t.

Either way I would expect it to be a longer learning process, you can’t stop learning as you and he get older. I think it’s great that you are reaching out to learn more about your son’s conditions though.

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

Hi there,

One of the best things you can do is be tolerant. Sometimes, when people have a condition such as autism, they may act a little differently, but that doesn't mean it's wrong. Giving him the respect that any other child would deserve is a good way to make him like he isn't isolatedx

Much love <3