• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Question - Does depression have any physical symptoms?

T

Tomd21

Does depression have any physical symptoms

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I believe so, it can manifest physically just like anxiety.

Do you believe you're experiencing physical symptoms and if so what are they?

T

Tomd21

Memory problems lack of appetite dizzyness palpitations shaking feet sweating lol morning nausea

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Well the lack of appetite is one that I'm sure of, I hardly ate when I was depressed decades ago.

The palpitations and dizziness are more associated with anxiety but depression and anxiety can go hand in hand quite easily, sometimes people don't even recognise they have anxiety, I even passed out once due to social anxiety because I forgot to breathe, and I suppose the shaking can be part of that too. It's also not uncommon to sweat profusely when suffering from anxiety.

So that just leaves the memory problems and morning nausea (I assume you're not pregnant lol). I know that when I'm in a particularly anxious situation (like when I see my GP or other social situations) all I can think of is getting out of there and later I don't recall what was said to me, which I think is the brains way of protecting us from these kind of experiences just like when we're in physical pain, if we remembered physical pain too much women would only have the one child lol, I'm male so don't take my word on that last one :).

Are you on any medication because they could just as easily be side effects?

Either way it's best to consult a doctor about all this. The treatment is the same for anxiety as it is for depression anyway.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Memory problems can be caused by depression. Your mind is working so hard just trying to keep afloat and not letting the depression absorb you that things like memory go out the window as not essential. I agree largely with NWiddi in his reply though.

C

childofkali

Definitely. I have nausea and pain the in stomach, which is unbearable without medication. The mental/psychic pain can be unbereable too. Plus tinnitus and a heavy chest. I never thought depression could have such physical manifestations...it's frightening and hard to live with