• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Question about Tele-therapy

Prince of Cinders

Prince of Cinders

I've been talking to a few people who recommend that I look into therapy via Facetime/Skype/Online rather than doing something in person (which isn't available yet because of all the Covid nonsense).

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to discuss their experiences (in a general sense) with doing this? Has it helped or is doing something in person more effective? Any drawbacks to doing it one way or the other?

Thanks.

B

bpd2020

I have been having therapy on the phone. I have found it to be so much better. I do not have to worry about keeping calm to be able to get home afterwards. I am more comfortable as I am at home. I do not need to worry about what going outside. To me it is so much better.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I have been doing therapy over the phone from home as well. I LOVE IT and find it so much better than therapy in person mostly because I feel free to discuss more delicate subjects without feeling the shame of having to sit there waiting for someone’s judgement. I also don’t have to make transportation arrangements to therapy appointments and can be in the comfort of my own for them. I think even after Covid precautionary measures end I am going to still keep up with the teletherapy. I has have gotten used to it and there are just too many plusses for me. xo, j

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Many benefits, some drawbacks. I attend therapy using secure video connection on my computer.

Cannot beat the convenience of telehealth; no travel no waiting room...
...but occasional technology issues arise on either end.

I don't have to groom, wear my going-out clothes...
...but my therapist will see me unshaven, wearing t-shirt and ask about my self care.

Seeing my therapist in her home is a sort of self-disclosure that allows me to see her as a person as well as a professional; seems to enhance or deepen the therapeutic relationship...
...but she also sees my cluttered room, a tiny window into how I live and I get embarrassed, anxious she's judging me (and we talk about that).

If I were low-functioning like I was some years ago, I would miss office appointments. They motivated me to get out of the house. But now I get out everyday.

I hope some of this self-reflection is helpful to you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Services 3
N Services 11