• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Question about Depakote/Epival dosage

K

keith74

Hello all,
Anyone taking Depakote/Epival DR tablets? My wife is currently prescribed 1000mg of Depakote DR (aka Epival in Canada). Her psychiatrist has told her to take it all at once before bed. I have always read that Depakote DR (this is NOT the extended release ER tabs) dosage is commonly split up into 2 or 3 smaller doses throughout the day. In the past her previous psychiatrist had told her to take half at night and half in the morning. I mentioned this to her current psychiatrist and she said that it is perfectly fine for my wife to take it all at once at night. I'm curious what others think and what others who are taking it are doing. I had also posted this question awhile back in the meds section but didn't get a lot of replies so I'm hoping more people see it here.

Thanks

HLon99

HLon99

Valproate has a half life of 9-16hrs. It would make more sense to split up the dosages, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world if you didn’t. Perhaps the reason why your psychiatrist told you to take it all at night is because valproate is sedating so to minimise drowsiness during the day.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I've got nothing on my box or leaflet that I can see that mentions slow-release or otherwise for my own so I'm not much help there. However, I imagine a large dose before bed would still be felt quite strongly in the morning. Is she struggling to get going in the mornings or is she okay? The half-life point is a good one and I agree that you'd imagine most docs would suggest splitting the dose to ensure a more even release but if it's still very much in the system up to 16 hours later then it's likely not too important a difference. I guess it comes down to the patient and how they feel with the single large dose and whether they would prefer to split it if the doc's okay with that.

K

keith74

Valproate has a half life of 9-16hrs. It would make more sense to split up the dosages, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world if you didn’t. Perhaps the reason why your psychiatrist told you to take it all at night is because valproate is sedating so to minimise drowsiness during the day.
That was one of the reasons why her psychiatrist usually recommends taking it at night. However, my wife never had issues with drowsiness when taking it. But I guess it is not a big deal.

K

keith74

I've got nothing on my box or leaflet that I can see that mentions slow-release or otherwise for my own so I'm not much help there. However, I imagine a large dose before bed would still be felt quite strongly in the morning. Is she struggling to get going in the mornings or is she okay? The half-life point is a good one and I agree that you'd imagine most docs would suggest splitting the dose to ensure a more even release but if it's still very much in the system up to 16 hours later then it's likely not too important a difference. I guess it comes down to the patient and how they feel with the single large dose and whether they would prefer to split it if the doc's okay with that.
Depakote/Epival does not typically make my wife feel drowsy when she is at baseline. Currently she is depressed and suffering from insomnia so I wish it made her drowsy! My wife doesn't have an issue taking it all at once and her psychiatrist said she typically tells people to take it all at night because of the potential of drowsiness but is indifferent if my wife prefers to split it up. My wife just wants to keep things simple and take all her meds at one time. She tells me I am overthinking this and she's probably right lol