• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Question about being prescribed medication

J

Jisatsu

Regarding my previous posts, I am now considering going to the Dr's about how I am feeling.

I was just wondering how quickly Dr's are willing prescribe medication for depression and such because I worry that I will just get there, talk to my Dr and she will say "I will prescribe you this and this and it should be fine.." etc.

Last time I went to the Dr about self harm it all seemed rather brief (then again I declined seeing a counsellor and I probably shouldn't have)

Thanks.

L

littlepixiez

I went to my doctor in January about anxiety depression, they did blood tests to check it wasn't a physical problem... I then went back a few days ago and they instantly prescribed me anti-depressants but at a really low dosage. I'm trying them out because counselling isn't helping.

I guess if you just ask for alternatives to medication they'll offer you more advice...

Good luck.

B

Bippidee

GPs do tend to over prescribe anti depressants, I think primarily due to lack of alternative. However, you can say if you don't want to take medication, and ask for a counselling referral if you think that will help you. It may take some time before you actually get to see the counsellor, but I have no idea how long as I have always been seen by CMHTs.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Yes I agree with bippidee, meds are often the first choice because it's something they can do to help straight away. Where I am there's at least a 6 month waiting list for anything other than basic counselling (which is not thought to be the most helpful therapy for depression; CBT is meant to be good but I have yet to try it). I've been waiting 4 months and not even had an initial assessment yet. Of course this length of time varies from one place to the next. So the doc will probably prescribe meds but will (or should) monitor you closely at first.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Depression Forum 2
B Depression Forum 5
M Depression Forum 5
P Depression Forum 6
D Depression Forum 7