• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Question about a mental illness

S

Sab21

Let me tell you about my story. It has started two years ago. My doctor has diagnosed me a depression and dissociative disorder (PTSD) my symptoms were: blurred vision, lack of motivation, lack of libido, memory loss, no feelings. Then i've started many treatments : Haldol, Cymbalta, Effexor, Valdoxan. (For information I've never taken any drugs). Then my doctor diagnosed me psychosis and i've begun new anti psychotics treatments : Abilify, Zyprexa, Xeroquel. Nothing worked and i was unable to think, to walk or to speak. Then I 've started to take Zoloft 150 mg and Zyban 150 mg. I feel better (less anxious)but i still have problems with memory, libido, sleeping problem, anhedonia and lack of concentration. I have been in a hospital for 2 weeks and i've many tests : blood tests, brain scan and nothing has been detected. I have an appointment with my doctor very soon and i would like to recovery so I will ask him an electroconvulsive therapy.What do you know about that? If you were or are in similar situation, what could you advice to do or to ask my doctor (other tests: PET Scan for example) or new treatment but without any medication? Please answer. Thank you :)

E

Eigau

Let me tell you about my story. It has started two years ago. My doctor has diagnosed me a depression and dissociative disorder (PTSD) my symptoms were: blurred vision, lack of motivation, lack of libido, memory loss, no feelings. Then i've started many treatments : Haldol, Cymbalta, Effexor, Valdoxan. (For information I've never taken any drugs). Then my doctor diagnosed me psychosis and i've begun new anti psychotics treatments : Abilify, Zyprexa, Xeroquel. Nothing worked and i was unable to think, to walk or to speak. Then I 've started to take Zoloft 150 mg and Zyban 150 mg. I feel better (less anxious)but i still have problems with memory, libido, sleeping problem, anhedonia and lack of concentration. I have been in a hospital for 2 weeks and i've many tests : blood tests, brain scan and nothing has been detected. I have an appointment with my doctor very soon and i would like to recovery so I will ask him an electroconvulsive therapy.What do you know about that? If you were or are in similar situation, what could you advice to do or to ask my doctor (other tests: PET Scan for example) or new treatment but without any medication? Please answer. Thank you :)
Hi Sab21, welcome to the forum! From what you have stated, it sounds like they are really just making wild guesses. Have you done any research into the side effects of the different meds are and their withdrawal symptoms when you come off and change to another one? I think it would be helpful to you to know. Some meds can cause some of the symptoms you have and you might think they are you instead. Even withdrawal from meds can cause some of these things. I hope this helps, take care,

Te

S

Sab21

Hi tereo.oro! thank you for you reply. Yes, i've checked up the side effects of the meds and i think i had the symptoms of my mysterious illness and the side effects of the meds i take (Zoloft (i've started this one two months ago) + Zyban (i've started this one four weeks ago)). But today the problem is I still have problems with sleeping, concentration, memory, libido, anhedonia, it's difficult for me to think and for the moment nobody can give me the appropriate diagnosis . Tomorrow i have an appointment with my doctor: what could you advice me to ask (new treatments?) and to do (other exams)? If someone had or have the same problems, you're very welcome. Thank you!

Gajolene

Gajolene

This sounds like a long term problem to me, it's takes a long time to source the true nature of these things and what meds will work best for you. Sorry but it's sounds to me like they pushed heavy meds far too early with you no knowing your full symptoms or how long they took to develop. With PTSD it's so unpredictable as to the severity of the symptoms and the long term effects they are going to have impacting your life. It just sounds as if you were put on a merry go round of instant fixes to me...

Sorry if I am wrong or out of line on this. I've had full chronic PTSD (no voices, just intrusive memories/ night terrors/ panick attack triggers/ and numerous other symtoms)for 25years and 10 years of developing symptoms before hand. and I STILL have no official on paper diagnosis to secure an income beyond basic welfare lowest rate no matter how much it's incompacitated life. Does this sound farmiliar in any way?

Last edited:
Kerome

Kerome

I think Gajolene and Teo are right, they don't really know what you have and are just pushing quite heavy duty meds as wild guesses. If I was in your position I would want to know what were symptoms and what side effects of the medication, so I would want to get off the medication and try some alternate forms of treatment. You might want to spend some time with a psychologist or a healer rather than a psychiatrist.

Things like anhedonia often have to do with your hormone balance, which can have a lot to do with your food and nutrition, it can be caused by a food allergy like lactose or gluten intolerance. I would visit a nutritionist and see what they had to say, perhaps start an all natural diet for a while in order to detox.

S

Sab21

Hi! my hormone balance is normal , I've seen a nutritionist, a psychologist I've had EMDR therapy and I've had a lot of tests and nothing wrong was detected. Of course I can try new treatments and if I could stop meds I would do it. But I don't know which new treatments I can try (meds aren't enough effective even if I feel better than a few months ago) for my illness. If you know any other treatments which could be more effective for PTSD and/or depression. If you have tried other thing or if you know something which could help me to bring back my feelings and my emotions, please reply. Thanks a lot! :)

E

Eigau

Hi tereo.oro! thank you for you reply. Yes, i've checked up the side effects of the meds and i think i had the symptoms of my mysterious illness and the side effects of the meds i take (Zoloft (i've started this one two months ago) + Zyban (i've started this one four weeks ago)). But today the problem is I still have problems with sleeping, concentration, memory, libido, anhedonia, it's difficult for me to think and for the moment nobody can give me the appropriate diagnosis . Tomorrow i have an appointment with my doctor: what could you advice me to ask (new treatments?) and to do (other exams)? If someone had or have the same problems, you're very welcome. Thank you!
Hi Sab21, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you straight away. I hope the appointment went ok. I'm wondering if you have been put on any heart meds to counter the adrenal and cortisol surges you may have? Also it may be of some benefit to read up on "progressive relaxation" and Qigong Taichi. It would like to encourage you to ask about how the limbic system works, how it is affected by increases in adrenaline and cortisol, whether it may cause the symptoms you described, how to naturally decrease the adrenal and cortisol levels. Sorry again, for the delay. Take care,

Te

S

Sab21

Hi ! I went to see my doctor, and he has increased the dose of zyban from 150 mg to 300 mg (I take zoloft 150 mg too). I've increased the dose one week ago and the fact is I don't feel anxious anymore and I don't have side effects. However, I still have major problems with memory, sleeping, concentration, attention , no feelings and no sex drive. My doctor said to me if i still have those problems in one month, he will try another treatment which is electroconvulsant therapy. What do you think about this decision? What should I say to him? Tereo.oro I've read how the lymbic system works and i've tried Qigong Taichi, i would like to thank you for your advices but those methods don't work and i still believe that I have a problem with the chemical balance in my brain. What should I try now? and what should I say to my doctor? Do you have any opinion about trying thyroxin ? I've heard It can be effective for my problems. Thank you very much. :)

E

Eigau

Hi sab21, you're right, I have only stated my opinion for what has worked for me. I'm diagnosed with Generalized anxiety disorder and have had some bad panic attacks at times. Since Qigong Taichi deals with balancing the life-energy in us which usually becomes concentrated as tension in the body I hoped it might help you. The limbic system is directly affected by changes is what is thought to be a chemical imbalance and it is well-known that certain forms of relaxation and meditation can reduce the limbic systems sensitivity to these changes. I'm sorry I wasn't much help. To me, your remaining symptoms sound like symptoms of lowered cognitive function. Sadly, it affects me this way too at times. I'm currently trying to follow CBT through to completion and have found it works when I feel clear minded, but less so on difficult days. I just realized that I haven't really asked you how you feel about all the different possibilities, I'm sorry about that. ECT has had some good reports from the people it has been sucessful for. I would maybe ask the doctor if it would affect your memory at all, although I have heard of people experiencing a measure of relief too. Please look after yourself, take care,

Te

S

Sab21

Hi! Thank you for the answer. I would like to know if QiGong Taichi and meditation help you to have more feelings, more attention (concentration), more memory and more emotions? And when have you felt the effects? after one or several weeks? after one or several months? And I've noticed another symptom it's I've have the feeling that it's hard to me to have an access to my thoughts. Is it a symptom of the depression? Does Qigong Taichi help you to think more clearly? Thank you very much

E

Eigau

Hi Sab21, I noticed that I felt lighter and more calm after the exercises. My thoughts weren't so fast and more manageable. My exercises would only be half an hour but when I went to the group it would be about an hour. I would have a 5 km walk to the group and back, so to me it was a good workout. After the first workout my muscles ached for days, so I started doing a smaller workout during the weekdays so I would be ready for the weekend workout. I started learning more about how long it took for my to recover.

Hope that helps.

Te

S

Sab21

Hello everyone! I'm gonna explain you briefly my situation now. It's about two and a half years that I suffer from a mysterious illness i've tried antipsychotics and antidepressant but those meds are not effective enough. I've tried Qi gong Taichi, Yoga but it doesn't help. I am not able to work anymore because of my difficulties: memory, unable to learn something, social phobia... eventhough I try my best. Unfortunately no one can understand around me (family and friends) that I suffer everyday and i really would like to have a normal life (job, hobbies, couple,...). However I still believe that I'm gonna recover that's why I am still on this forum. So I have a very important appointment with my doctor next week and I would like to have an advice : what should I ask him now? ECT or other treatment? an income for my handicap? I don't believe anymore i could recover alone. I want to try something more effective (no meds) or to go to an appropriate place (hospital or mental health center for example) if It can be effective I am ready to go there for a moment. If you have any advice you're very welcome. Thank you very much : )

E

Eigau

Hi Sab21, it sounds like you might enjoy a recovery camp or working with a recovery facilitator. I have tried most things and I am yet to find something that is absolutely effective. Knowledge of mental illness is still very young and I believe we still don't understand everything there is to know about the brain. Until we do, we are limited to treating the symptoms and not the cause. To me, the key things that affect my anxiety are (1)Knowing my unconscious core values (2)actively building a storehouse of new positive experiences to counter the negative ones that come to mind. This course of action is not immediately effective, but I don;t believe there are any treatments so effective that you see results after the first try or even after a short term. Everything I have researched only shows effective change after months or years of treatment. I don't say this to discourage you, it just seems better to be realistic in our expectations.

N

notrealname

Gotta agree with everyone here that what jumped out to me was: Wah, that's a shitload of medication very quickly and of course you're going to feel bad!! My personal move at this point - but it should always be discussed with doctors - would be to clear all of those medications out of my system for at least a couple of months so I could separate side effects, withdrawal effects and symptoms of the original illness. Then I would make a decision. Sorry for what you've been through here, I think that's a lot of drugs all at once for PTSD...

EDIT: Sorry just seen that you've updated. Difficult one because it's a complex thing and some of this might be iatrogenic now (caused by treatment) as the difficulties you experience through treatment can intensify the original illness. Have you seen a talking therapist for any prolonged period of time? This would be my first call.