• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Pyschosis & Depression

A

Angel Feather

Hi all

Just wanted to know if any of you that has been diagnosed with psychosis has also been treated for depression.

I'm already on meds for psychosis - abilify

But feel stressed out and very depressed so was thinking of trying anti depressants.

I am at the point where i can't cope - but dont know if this i the job or just me, my careworker says i can carry out everyday activities so i shouldn't need them but everything feels a bit too much at the moment

I hear they are addictive - (anti depressants) and would they react to the meds i'm on now?

Any comments welcome

X Angel Feather X

keepsafe

keepsafe

Not sure at all, you would have to ask a health professional, but I am on abilify and anti depressants and don;t notice any marked side effects - dry mouth sometimes and dizzyness irregularly.

KS

SimonB

SimonB

I'm not sure if AD's are addictive in that sense, but certainly there is a level of dependancy.

I've been on one type for 4 yrs, and if I forget to take them for a few days boy do I notice and other people to.

They do have a sedative type affect, which is why they are useful in dampening down anxiety and so on. I have been in psychotic depression before, and although there are lots of problems with AD's I'd rather deal with those than end up back in a very scary place. I haven't experienced psychosis since.

We are generally stuck with medication, so the best thing to do is find out as much as you can about it, don't be afraid of asking you psychiatrist questions thats what s/he is paid for.

D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
depression bites

hi well depression is a large part of phycosis hearing voices and having social problems all make life difficult. i would say go for it i've been taking atidepressant sinse i was sixteen they can beat depression but you still get down times. i am also on anti phycotics which mixed with the anti depressants have helped me a lot. good luck and i hope you feel better soon diddy:)

I

IntrospectionFtw!

Im thinking of starting a anti depressant again..i found effexor useful i recommend you ask for that one will work well with the abilify aswell which can make you quite anxious, as for them being addictive if you take them long enough like several years and suddenly decide you want to come off them because of health problems or something you'll find it hell and the withdrawals even after short term use can be hell effexor and paroxetine espeically even if i missed one dose id get brain shocks not nice, as for interactions abilify potentiates antidepressants and has some bad interactions with prozac in particular though im not sure how severe other than that there shouldnt be any problems really.

J

jamesdean

I have been treated for psycosis in depression with the abilify and I take an ad mirtazapine seems to work well together.

A

Angel Feather

Thanks for all the comments

I already said i was taking abilify, but i am also on iron tablets(3 month course) usually given to me every couple of years and the pill, so if i added anti depressants to this do you think it would be too much?

angel feather

NeoDelta

NeoDelta

Hiya

Going onto an anti depressant alongside your Abilify shouldnt be a problem, and the abilify sometimes helps boost the anti depressant. Im on 2 anti psychotics and an anti depressant and since having the abilify added my mood has stabilised alot.

Can you speak to your prescriber and ask them for an anti depressant to help you with the depression your currently experiencing.

You can still be depressed and do every day things, some of the time it can be on auto pilot where your just going through the motions, i used to do this alot when i was in depression.