• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Pysch is not much help!!!

Lara

Lara

I’m so confused! I was diagnosed when I was 19 as being borderline.
Vie been referred back to the Psych as my moods are erratic, I’m easily excited or angered and the depression can no longer be managed by my GP.

In the assessment, the psych seemed little convinced by the diagnosis and said I was only displaying BDP traits. Instead of changing the AD I’m on, which is doing very little for me (citalopram) he decided he was going to put me on topamax. I have no idea what he was thinking!
He said it would mess with my contraceptive and that I should speak with my GP about changing it.
When I went to my GP he was near on furious! I’ve been put on a POP to stop my periods as I was incapacitated for 5 days every cycle due to the excruciating pain. My GP has told me not to take the topamax (Glad I didn’t in the first place) and tell my Psych that there is no way in hell I’m taking it nor am I changing my contraceptive.

So I’m still at square one. I fell like I’m fast forward all the time even when the depression is really bad. I constantly feel feed up and depressed and have done ever since I can remember I’ve had several ad’s none of them have worked. When I was first referred to the MHC I was in psychosis and I’m keen not to get back to that point. I have had thoughts of self-harm it seems the longer I’m on the citalopram the more frequently I want to harm but cannot bring myself to do so.

All I want is for this weight to be lifted off me. No one will listen carefully enough to what I’m saying. I feel so….Oh damn it! I don’t know any more.
:unsure::(

E

eternaljourney

Can you tell the GP exactly how you feel, I'm sure he'll send you to another psychiatrist. It annoying when they won't change meds because they talk about statistics and don't care about it interfering with other really important medication. It's horrible to go through but it sounds like your GP will back you up and send you for a better appointment?

Eternal x

Lara

Lara

Thanks eternal.

I'm actually thinking of getting a telephone appointment with my GP to discuss this. I'm so nervous all the time, I keep getting funny twitches in my muscles and just feel so vulnerable all the time. Today I just feel like crying. I left work early yesterday because I just felt so ill. still dont feel well today and didnt sleep well either.

The citalopram doesnt really seem to help with my symptoms its just better to take it for now as every thing is worse than when I dont take it.
I become almost impossible to live with and confine myself to my bedroom so I dont upset any one else in the house.

I think I'm going to ask to be taken off the citalopram and be put on some thing else.

My mum is on setraline and seems alot better - we both suffer depression but my mum has anxiety issues and OCD as well.

I dont know what to do really however I feel I definately want to change the citalopram. Effexor has no effect, prozac gave me killer migraines and amitryptaline only helps me sleep, nothing else so I'm not sure what the psych will give me as I've had all the 1st line stuff, I've also had lofepramine and that only helped for a short while again with sleeping.

I'll let you know how I get on at my pysch appointment on Friday.

F

funkymunky79

Thanks eternal.

I'm actually thinking of getting a telephone appointment with my GP to discuss this. I'm so nervous all the time, I keep getting funny twitches in my muscles and just feel so vulnerable all the time. Today I just feel like crying. I left work early yesterday because I just felt so ill. still dont feel well today and didnt sleep well either.

The citalopram doesnt really seem to help with my symptoms its just better to take it for now as every thing is worse than when I dont take it.
I become almost impossible to live with and confine myself to my bedroom so I dont upset any one else in the house.

I think I'm going to ask to be taken off the citalopram and be put on some thing else.

My mum is on setraline and seems alot better - we both suffer depression but my mum has anxiety issues and OCD as well.

I dont know what to do really however I feel I definately want to change the citalopram. Effexor has no effect, prozac gave me killer migraines and amitryptaline only helps me sleep, nothing else so I'm not sure what the psych will give me as I've had all the 1st line stuff, I've also had lofepramine and that only helped for a short while again with sleeping.

I'll let you know how I get on at my pysch appointment on Friday.

I wish you all the best with this, as I have given up with GP's, pschiatrists etc.

I get the feeling that they just don't want to help because they can't and don't want to anymore.

I have been at this now for 6 years and haven't got any closer to getting proper support and the only time I get support is when I overdose and then it's only for a few days. I also get social services on my back but not for me, for my son because they fear for him, which hurts and makes it worse because I am the best mum I can be.

Why is it so hard to get help?

Why aren't we understood?

Why is there such a thing about mental health at the moment, however nothing changes?

I could go on forever but I won't because it just makes me so bloody angry :mad:

I am thinking of going to my MP for help because the service is very poor.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Hi Lara, why not ask the psych for sertraline then? It's a fairly common drug so I can't imagine he'll have any problems doing that.

I have been at this now for 6 years and haven't got any closer to getting proper support and the only time I get support is when I overdose and then it's only for a few days.
Hi funkymunky, what help have you had so far?

Why aren't we understood?
They don't understand because they haven't been there....

F

funkymunky79

Hi Lara, why not ask the psych for sertraline then? It's a fairly common drug so I can't imagine he'll have any problems doing that.

Hi funkymunky, what help have you had so far

They don't understand because they haven't been there....
No help other than the crisis team when I took my overdoses and they supported my for 78hrs and then cut me off because they say it's not long term support.

My mum has depression and she has a support worker who is at hand 24 7.

Why can't I get this, as my mum gets it because of the stress I cause her.

Makes no sense at all

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

No antidepressants or anything like that? Or counselling/therapy?

F

funkymunky79

No antidepressants or anything like that? Or counselling/therapy?
I am on citalapram and anti psychotics but my GP put the anti psychotics because of paranioa and voices.

Other than meds I have nothing!

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Yes, I've relied mostly on meds too and most of the time I'm OK. I'm quite down at the moment though and have been off work for some time, so I've asked to be referred for therapy. I've had counselling before and not really found that enough so I need more than that. Have you tried asking your GP for therapy?

Lara

Lara

I've done the whole psychology thing and I really didnt find it helpful.
talking about what happening in the past is not going to help me now when I've let go of it.

As to whats happening now. I'm having the normal throwes of life like every one else. I just cant handle them like other people around. *shruggs* Oh well!