• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Pure ocd - in need of some support/guidance…

D

DaisyLaCrazy

I’m 31 years old and have always suffered with ocd. In later years I have been able to mostly ignore them, it hasn’t affected me in day to day life.

since November last year , I lost my dad to cancer and my ocd triggered badly. It caused my relationship break down which caused me
To have a nervous breakdown. Since then we have got back together and had another baby. During the pregnancy I was diagnosed with a heart condition and also had covid. For someone like me with health anxiety and ocd it’s been a trauma. I have a newborn and have had my partner and mum also fall out since then which has set my ocd off. I can feel my nerves in tatters, feel my body parts jump and jerk , waking with a racing heart etc.

my current obsessive thoughts are around both my heart condition and my partners parents who caused our row (and cause many of them) because it has triggered my ocd and I have pure ocd about it.

- my partners parents have said that they do not see us enough (once a month) that I should be letting my partner see them with my 2 year old , that I am wrong not letting him stay at their home etc. My partner is aware of my anxiety and I simply don’t want to be apart from my toddler from choice. He is fine with that. But he is a coward to them so don’t think he stands up for me. My ocd is doubting myself whether im wrong to not let my son stay there and if im wrong for not letting him see them without me there. I don’t do this to be mean , it’s just how I feel comfortable and when im not doubting myself I know that I have done nothing wrong as I do not stop them seeing or spending time with my son and I just prefer to be there. I’ve also explained this to them and that they shouldn’t put pressure on me being apart from him if I do not want to be. They are very controlling and bossy people. Anyway my mind is going round and round and finding new doubts so I cannot convince myself that I am in the right or even of my own feelings/opinion anymore. If that makes sense? So I feel so confused and it makes me so anxious.

I then worry that this anxiety will affect my newly diagnosed heart condition which obviously triggers me off more. Thinking I’m going to cause myself to die and leave my babies etc.

I wake up in the middle of the night racing heart and all day long my body jerks with nerves on and off (like my leg will randomly jump etc) and my thoughts feel obsessive, they get ‘stuck’ and any opinion I try to think I doubt myself and have to repeat it over and over ruminating until it sinks in and I get a ‘relief’. The more I ruminate the worse my anxiety gets and the worse I feel. I cannot then function, just all day trying to escapee the thoughts.

do you please have any tips on what I should do? I have had cbt in the past but need a reminder. Any meds that I should be on ? I wake up unable to switch back off to sleep. Any sleep meds? Anti anxiety or anti depressents?

I have had so much trauma, my dad dying, my heart failure,covid whilst pregnant , my mum and partner falling out and my partners parents making me doubt myself.

I need to get it under control as I have two children and right now I’m a huge mess full of doubt and obsessive thoughts. Pure ocd just finds a new doubt every time I try to convince myself , for example I think maybe they just want to be grandparents but then I remind myself I don’t trust them (the mother especially) she has always made a point to exclude me and make me feel left out - from saying my children are nothing like me, that two boys will be close to their dad, always undermining me and asking my partner anything about my children as if I don’t exist, slating me to my partner about how I don’t let them stay for longer , that I should let her go out with my partner and son with her and stay home etc. So naturally I do not like her at all and find her a very jealous person. So yes I have ocd over this because I don’t trust her (other reasons too) but then doubt myself and think are they right in saying they want to spend more time with them etc and I get myself so overly confused.

if anyone has managed to read this thank you so much and any advise would be appreciated so much! I’m literally a bag of nerves and don’t even know my own opinion at the moment.

D

dinimom49

Good morning. I have been awake with a racing mind which will continue all day with repeated thoughts and fears, tremors, fear, etc. I know exactly how you are feeling. I have severe health anxiety. My evenings are not as bad because i know that I can soon fall asleep and not think about at it then 4 am hits and the vicious cycle starts all over again.. Have you tried melatonin? Maybe that would help at night. I do take lexapro which doesn’t seem to be doing anything and Xanax when needed. Your partner should definitely defend more towards his parents and his mom should be nicer if she expects you let her see your children. Maybe try talking to your partner about it. Let him know how you feel. They are your children after all and she needs to respect that. Hope this helped a little bit. Please keep me posted. Take it easy❤

D

dinimom49

Also I’m sorry about your loss with your dad. I had Covid in July and this is where all my health anxiety started up again. Glad your ok from that. Good luck and let me know how it goes

B

BlueWater

I’m 31 years old and have always suffered with ocd. In later years I have been able to mostly ignore them, it hasn’t affected me in day to day life.

since November last year , I lost my dad to cancer and my ocd triggered badly. It caused my relationship break down which caused me
To have a nervous breakdown. Since then we have got back together and had another baby. During the pregnancy I was diagnosed with a heart condition and also had covid. For someone like me with health anxiety and ocd it’s been a trauma. I have a newborn and have had my partner and mum also fall out since then which has set my ocd off. I can feel my nerves in tatters, feel my body parts jump and jerk , waking with a racing heart etc.

my current obsessive thoughts are around both my heart condition and my partners parents who caused our row (and cause many of them) because it has triggered my ocd and I have pure ocd about it.

- my partners parents have said that they do not see us enough (once a month) that I should be letting my partner see them with my 2 year old , that I am wrong not letting him stay at their home etc. My partner is aware of my anxiety and I simply don’t want to be apart from my toddler from choice. He is fine with that. But he is a coward to them so don’t think he stands up for me. My ocd is doubting myself whether im wrong to not let my son stay there and if im wrong for not letting him see them without me there. I don’t do this to be mean , it’s just how I feel comfortable and when im not doubting myself I know that I have done nothing wrong as I do not stop them seeing or spending time with my son and I just prefer to be there. I’ve also explained this to them and that they shouldn’t put pressure on me being apart from him if I do not want to be. They are very controlling and bossy people. Anyway my mind is going round and round and finding new doubts so I cannot convince myself that I am in the right or even of my own feelings/opinion anymore. If that makes sense? So I feel so confused and it makes me so anxious.

I then worry that this anxiety will affect my newly diagnosed heart condition which obviously triggers me off more. Thinking I’m going to cause myself to die and leave my babies etc.

I wake up in the middle of the night racing heart and all day long my body jerks with nerves on and off (like my leg will randomly jump etc) and my thoughts feel obsessive, they get ‘stuck’ and any opinion I try to think I doubt myself and have to repeat it over and over ruminating until it sinks in and I get a ‘relief’. The more I ruminate the worse my anxiety gets and the worse I feel. I cannot then function, just all day trying to escapee the thoughts.

do you please have any tips on what I should do? I have had cbt in the past but need a reminder. Any meds that I should be on ? I wake up unable to switch back off to sleep. Any sleep meds? Anti anxiety or anti depressents?

I have had so much trauma, my dad dying, my heart failure,covid whilst pregnant , my mum and partner falling out and my partners parents making me doubt myself.

I need to get it under control as I have two children and right now I’m a huge mess full of doubt and obsessive thoughts. Pure ocd just finds a new doubt every time I try to convince myself , for example I think maybe they just want to be grandparents but then I remind myself I don’t trust them (the mother especially) she has always made a point to exclude me and make me feel left out - from saying my children are nothing like me, that two boys will be close to their dad, always undermining me and asking my partner anything about my children as if I don’t exist, slating me to my partner about how I don’t let them stay for longer , that I should let her go out with my partner and son with her and stay home etc. So naturally I do not like her at all and find her a very jealous person. So yes I have ocd over this because I don’t trust her (other reasons too) but then doubt myself and think are they right in saying they want to spend more time with them etc and I get myself so overly confused.

if anyone has managed to read this thank you so much and any advise would be appreciated so much! I’m literally a bag of nerves and don’t even know my own opinion at the moment.
My OCD is like yours. I have similar issues with my in-laws. I feel like I am to blame for them not having their retirement dreams fulfilled. Oh, well. We're six hours away and I try with distractions to take my mind off of it. OCD is the doubter's disorder. I feel it almost all the time. The moody person in me says "f you" pretty often, hence my mood stabilizer so I stop saying it out loud. But the quest for certainty is exhausting.

I have health anxiety, too. Years of back pain led to surgery two years ago. The lengthy recovery gave me some symptoms of PTSD. Falling asleep and staying asleep without Rx meds is darn near impossible and was before the surgery, a lot due to pain. My OCD goes into overdrive at night making sure I've taken everything I need for pain and rubbed on my topicals. I don't want my sleep interrupted. It's the only time I get a break from OCD and then only because of sleep meds. I saw the other commenter mentioned melantonin. Sometimes, a little melatonin will help me. But her OCD is different from ours and is more like my GP's OCD. Sleep is an escape for him and he sleeps mostly naturally, definitely no sedatives. And my OCD makes me check the doors, especially the screen doors, so they don't fly open in a breeze and slam shut thus awakening me. And, stupidly, it makes me check the blasted deep freezer before bed to be sure the lid is closed because once I left it open for a few hours during the day and as OCD says it's all my fault if the food is spoiled. I have some contamination OCD which I've mostly put to rest my urge to wash my hands every time after petting my cat. I'm still not ok with washing underwear with everything else. I'm afraid of having an allergic reaction down there even though I know it's illogical that I will if the detergent stays the same or I'll contaminate my other clothes by having my underwear washed with them. It's partly based on having vulvodynia and partly just OCD. I see my compulsions better because of talk therapy and my mood stabilizer. But rumination and negativity is the worst part of it all.

You asked about meds. I take -
Clonazepam - sleep, anxiety, panic. I shouldn't take this everyday, but currently do. It'd be more effective if I took it only a few nights/week. I don't care about dependency and don't abuse it. Why take it all day if it is most beneficial for my sleep? I am a slave to sleep.
Lunesta - sleep. Another med that would be more effective if I took it only a few nights/week.
Trazodone - sleep. It helps me get a deeper sleep and feel a little calmer the next day.
Lamotrigine - moods. My moods were cycling rapidly all day long. I started arguments and had rage. This med has helped me feel more even and respond with more calmness. It's quieted some triggering memories.
Lyrica - I have fibromyalgia and neuromuscular pain. Initially, it made me very sleepy for several weeks. Now, no sleepiness unless I take an extra dose at bedtime. It helps my anxiety.

I have a bottle of Lexapro (Escitalopram) I need to try for my OCD. For some, it works well for and for others little benefit, like the other commenter said.

For OCD, here are other meds that I've read work well but I've never tried:
Fluoxetine, Sertraline, Citalopram, and Fluvoxamine (Luvox).

Some people are prescribed anti-psychotics.
Seroquel - I wouldn't start with it or any AP. In my opinion, they should be a last resort because of side effects. My GP has mentioned this as a last resort option for me only if I've tried other meds first without success.

Another med is Mirtazapine; it's an anti-depressant that is taken at bedtime. It should make you sleep well. Some say it works for their OCD, but it can make you gain weight. I haven't tried it either nor any of the others suggested.

If you can take a benzo only occasionally, then Clonazepam is a great one to try. It doesn't kick in fast, but you'll sleep and your OCD will take a break at night and you won't wake up in a panic. I take my dose 1.5 hours before bed. It also stays in your system for 1-3 days. No grogginess or other side effects. I've stayed at a low dose.

I've heard of others having good luck with Buspar for anxiety. I haven't tried it.

There are beta blockers that people take especially when they are about to perform on stage but also when they are headed to a stressful situation, like visiting their in-laws. One of them is Propranolol. I took it many years ago for an arrythmia. It took away all the physical symptoms of anxiety and helped me sleep.

You could try ERP therapy. I need to formally try it. I do some small exposures on my own, but for ruminating, I'm like you and feel there'll be no relief until I try an SSRI. You have to take a high dose of an SSRI for OCD.

I hope this helps.

D

DaisyLaCrazy

Thanks so much guys.
Im suffering with panic attacks today. I know I need to get it under control as with my
Heart condition etc it could make it worse. Any sane person would then stop panicking but it makes someone like me panic more. As I know I could be harming my heart so
I keep panicking that I can’t stop the anxiety. I’m in such a bad place at the moment. I can’t focus. I have a newborn and a 3 year old. I want to be here for them. So I’m panicking my anxiety is going to kill me and they won’t have me. All of these thoughts are making it harder to calm down and panicking worse. Any tips x

B

BlueWater

Thanks so much guys.
Im suffering with panic attacks today. I know I need to get it under control as with my
Heart condition etc it could make it worse. Any sane person would then stop panicking but it makes someone like me panic more. As I know I could be harming my heart so
I keep panicking that I can’t stop the anxiety. I’m in such a bad place at the moment. I can’t focus. I have a newborn and a 3 year old. I want to be here for them. So I’m panicking my anxiety is going to kill me and they won’t have me. All of these thoughts are making it harder to calm down and panicking worse. Any tips x
I think I should've written less earlier.
-If it won't negatively affect your heart condition, Propranolol could be great for your anxiety and panic, especially since you need to be alert for your babies.
-Hydroxyzine, an antihistamine, has some calming properties and can help you sleep.
-A benzo right now would stop your panic attacks within minutes to an hour. If you could take one for a few weeks, you'd probably calm completely or enough that you could start talk therapy and figure out what you need going forward.
-Maybe all three types of meds would help you.

I think you should go see your doctor ASAP or maybe the emergency room and ask for help. You don't seem to be in any state to try an SSRI for your OCD. An SSRI could make you more anxious the first few weeks and cause you more insomnia.

Don't go on like this. I was in a state of panic in May of last year. It was awful, but Clonazepam pulled me out of it in an hour and keeps me from going back into that horrid phase.

Do you think you could be having some post-partum anxiety and depression?

D

DaisyLaCrazy

Can I just ask some advise please as I’m over thinking this and making myself feel so unwell over it all as got myself into a mess. I over think things until they don’t make sense and feel in such a muddle.

I’ve always said to my partner that I don’t trust my mother in law to have my kids alone , she has no boundaries, cut her nephew’s daughters hair short without asking the mother (because she had nits) often has bought us furniture etc when I’ve made it clear I have my own taste, she clearly doesn’t like that she has no control anymore and I have first hand experience of her lying etc and being weird saying my newborn looks nothing like me is just like my partner etc.

for this reason I don’t trust her to have my son alone and also don’t want her going out with my son and partner without me also being there as my partner would let her do as she pleases and I won’t.

I have fallen out with my partner and he is basically saying it’s unfair that he can’t do that but I do with my mum. My argument is he is always welcome to come with me and my mum but choses not to- why don’t I get an invite with them? So I’ve told his mother it’s never going to happen as I shouldn’t be forced to be away from my kids if I don’t want to.

my ocd is making me doubt myself and I’ve over thought it now I can’t see any sense. Do you think im being fair or how would you feel in my situation? As sometimes my partner says im too harsh.

D

DaisyLaCrazy

-If it won't negatively affect your heart condition, Propranolol could be great for your anxiety and panic, especially since you need to be alert for your babies.
-Hydroxyzine, an antihistamine, has some calming properties and can help you sleep.
-A benzo right now would stop your panic attacks within minutes to an hour. If you could take one for a few weeks, you'd probably calm completely or enough that you could start talk therapy and figure out what you need going forward.

I think you should go see your doctor ASAP or maybe the emergency room and ask for help. You don't seem to be in any state to try an SSRI for your OCD. An SSRI could make you more anxious the first few weeks and cause you more insomnia.

Don't go on like this. I was in a state of panic in May of last year. It was awful, but Clonazepam pulled me out of it in an hour and keeps me from going back into that horrid phase.

i was perfectly happy when I have my newborn, my partner triggered my anxiety during a row and now I can’t shift it but I’m sure the post partum hormones aren’t helping!! I simply feel stuck. I definetely need something to help me through for now but I’m scared they will think I’m not coping as a new mum which isn’t the case.

B

BlueWater

Can I just ask some advise please as I’m over thinking this and making myself feel so unwell over it all as got myself into a mess. I over think things until they don’t make sense and feel in such a muddle.

I’ve always said to my partner that I don’t trust my mother in law to have my kids alone , she has no boundaries, cut her nephew’s daughters hair short without asking the mother (because she had nits) often has bought us furniture etc when I’ve made it clear I have my own taste, she clearly doesn’t like that she has no control anymore and I have first hand experience of her lying etc and being weird saying my newborn looks nothing like me is just like my partner etc.

for this reason I don’t trust her to have my son alone and also don’t want her going out with my son and partner without me also being there as my partner would let her do as she pleases and I won’t.

I have fallen out with my partner and he is basically saying it’s unfair that he can’t do that but I do with my mum. My argument is he is always welcome to come with me and my mum but choses not to- why don’t I get an invite with them? So I’ve told his mother it’s never going to happen as I shouldn’t be forced to be away from my kids if I don’t want to.

my ocd is making me doubt myself and I’ve over thought it now I can’t see any sense. Do you think im being fair or how would you feel in my situation? As sometimes my partner says im too harsh.
I do think you're being a bit unfair to your husband. Can you let them eat lunch near your house so you won't feel stressed about the distance? Can you use Google to locate your husband's phone so you see on a map where they are? Nits are quite bad and spread rapidly. If the girl's parents weren't applying medication to remove the nits and disinfecting their house, then I kind of see why your mother-in-law would've cut her niece's hair. My grandmother would've shampooed me first and if that didn't work probably cut my hair then shampooed and combed again.

I think you need medication along with your talk therapy to calm your OCD rumination and help you recover from the loss of your father and your post-partum anxiety/depression. An anti-anxiety med would work quickly, within an hour, and make you feel years younger and make you sleep. When ready, adding something more suitable for long-term use, possibly just one med would help you with all of your other symptoms. That's also how you kick your health OCD out of your mind and do what's best for you and your relationships. I hope this helps.

B

BlueWater

i was perfectly happy when I have my newborn, my partner triggered my anxiety during a row and now I can’t shift it but I’m sure the post partum hormones aren’t helping!! I simply feel stuck. I definetely need something to help me through for now but I’m scared they will think I’m not coping as a new mum which isn’t the case.
Your OCD is lying to you. You have too much on your plate. State simply when you go to your doctor that your father died, you have OCD, you have a two year old and a newborn and are overwhelmed. You aren't sleeping enough. Your OCD is making you ruminate and your hormones are all over the place. Many new mums need medicine. Don't be afraid. Go ask for medicine.

B

BlueWater

Be kind to yourself. Your mind deserves some rest. Hugs! :)

D

DaisyLaCrazy

Be kind to yourself. Your mind deserves some rest. Hugs! :)
thank you. I am trying. I’m waking early hours with the anxious thoughts and racing heart. What upsets me so much is that I feel like I don’t trust my own opinions. I look at my partner and see how strong he feels about his opinion on things and I must be so insecure? That I always doubt my own opinion. My mum instinct has always been to not trust his mother, something about her is just not right but because of my ocd it’s like I can’t feel certain of my feelings (that I don’t ever want her having my sons without me and my partner there) and it’s such an odd feeling. I can’t describe it but just like I am unable to believe in my own opinion. I have to keep repeating over and over in my head ‘your mum instinct doesn’t trust her with your children, you know she has no boundaries and is weird’ until it feels right and ‘clicks’ but I just can’t get it too. I want to be able to think this without the self doubt.

any advise? Or do you think where this is my ‘obsession’ at the moment I should just not feed the doubt and ruminate and just let it be there ?
Thanks

D

DaisyLaCrazy

also my nerves are in shatters, I keep getting jerky movements like my leg randomly jumps
Or my foot etc ?? And I don’t fancy any food until I get to the point I’m starving. It’s 5am and been awake since 3am just unable to sleep

B

BlueWater

thank you. I am trying. I’m waking early hours with the anxious thoughts and racing heart. What upsets me so much is that I feel like I don’t trust my own opinions. I look at my partner and see how strong he feels about his opinion on things and I must be so insecure? That I always doubt my own opinion. My mum instinct has always been to not trust his mother, something about her is just not right but because of my ocd it’s like I can’t feel certain of my feelings (that I don’t ever want her having my sons without me and my partner there) and it’s such an odd feeling. I can’t describe it but just like I am unable to believe in my own opinion. I have to keep repeating over and over in my head ‘your mum instinct doesn’t trust her with your children, you know she has no boundaries and is weird’ until it feels right and ‘clicks’ but I just can’t get it too. I want to be able to think this without the self doubt.

any advise? Or do you think where this is my ‘obsession’ at the moment I should just not feed the doubt and ruminate and just let it be there ?
Thanks
Do your trust your husband alone with your son? If so and in my opinion, unless your child will face physical or psychological harm from being with only your husband and his mother, then let them go eat lunch together. You can slowly stop feeding the obsession by taking one baby step.

D

DaisyLaCrazy

Do your trust your husband alone with your son? If so and in my opinion, unless your child will face physical or psychological harm from being with only your husband and his mother, then let them go eat lunch together. You can slowly stop feeding the obsession by taking one baby step.
yes I do trust him mostly but he never sees what his mother does, he always defends her even when she is in the wrong and I worry that they will face psychological harm because she is a very jealous person and sneaky too. I don’t think he would face any harm physically but I also don’t think she would watch him in the same way I would.l and she also has a lack of boundaries. Maybe this is part of my obsession? And maybe your right and I should let them go out if my husband is there.