• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Pure-O

OddballOut

OddballOut

Does anyone here have Pure-O OCD.

If you have to ask "what is pure O?" chances are you don't but you might and never have heard about it.

I don't completely understand it myself but what I do know is- it's completely mental. There's really no outward or noticeable signs. No real physical symptoms- it's literally all in your head.

Everything I've researched on it also says that Pure-O is a giant pain in the butt to overcome (get to manageable levels) so what I'm really looking for is anyone who has pure-O (or pure-O combined with other OCD) and has managed to get control over it.

How did you do it?

Thanks, I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read even if you aren't able to reply.

L

LokiPokey75

Hey OddballOut!

I have Pure O too which I managed to overcome but it took many years. I know how painful it is to hear those thoughts in your head, without any physical symptoms, and not be able to get rid of them.

For me, I started to conquer them when I was ready. I spent a decade not being ready, too afraid to do anything to help myself. Finally, I chose to be better. After that, I started to identify the fears bothering me and why they were bothering me. The weirdest part of the whole journey was the chemical reactions in my brain. I could feel them shifting, like a hot meal gradually cooling down with time out of the oven. It was bizarre.

In addition to identifying the issues, I had to detach the fears from the thoughts so I could face my fears. Once you remove the fear, you had finally see the thought as neutral. That is a big step toward moving past it.

Ultimately, I had to choose to be afraid of the things I was scared of, take control rather than let my fears control me. Whatever is bothering you, allow it to bother you. Allow yourself to be afraid. Because only then can you let the fears go.

This is a lot of work and I recommend getting therapy to help you. I got therapy when I was younger, but I was too afraid to discuss what I was feeling to my therapist so it didn't help me much. Now, I'm an open book with my therapist and this has helped to tackle the biggest issues head on. Even a forum like this can be beneficial if you don't want to tell somebody in person.

OddballOut, I don't know what thoughts you're experiencing, but I just want you to know, it's okay to be afraid, it's okay to fail, it's okay to make mistakes. Allow those thoughts to be there and you'll be able to get past them. I believe in you.

Good luck!

OddballOut

OddballOut

thanks @LokiPokey75

got therapy when I was younger, but I was too afraid to discuss what I was feeling to my therapist so it didn't help me much.
mind if i ask what kind of therapy you did?
i tried ACT not too long ago but the whole "values" thing threw me off and it wasn't very effective.

most of my thoughts revolve around the safety of others, sometimes myself (but only because if something happened to me it would hurt others)

good to know it can be done though. I feel like I've just been beating my head against a brick wall for years.

Thank you

L

LokiPokey75

thanks @LokiPokey75

mind if i ask what kind of therapy you did?
i tried ACT not too long ago but the whole "values" thing threw me off and it wasn't very effective.

most of my thoughts revolve around the safety of others, sometimes myself (but only because if something happened to me it would hurt others)

good to know it can be done though. I feel like I've just been beating my head against a brick wall for years.

Thank you

No problem OBO!

Even though I didn't strictly adhere to it, I did do Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. I've probably been doing that for longer than I realize, I just don't label it. But at that time, I was going to a therapist that wasn't very interrogative which made it easy to pretend I was okay. I just didn't feel comfortable telling her all that I was feeling.

I would say try CBT if you haven't. You might find this book helpful because there's sections related to specific thoughts you can work on, such as harm. Plus, workbooks are cool!😊

1600448061896.png

There are even a few memoirs about people with Pure O if you do a google search. Sometimes, just reading about someone else's struggle can be helpful. It would have been nice to know other people were struggling with Pure O when I was younger.

We're always hear to help as well. If there's a frightening thought, most likely I've already had it, so you can always talk to me. I hope you can find the help you need to conquer this!

OddballOut

OddballOut

Thank you. I have an OCD work book but not this one. The one I have, I don't find very useful and it's mostly geared towards the stereotypical OCD- excessive physical symptoms like hand washing and germs etc.
I have another book that I found a lot more helpful but, while it explains how to modify CBT and Exposure therapy to work with pure-o it doesn't have any actual exercises. Would basically have to make up my own, and well, if i could do that it wouldn't be an issue to start with 🙄

I have very few checking symptoms.
My obsessions and compulsions are all done via thinking.

I did CBT a long time ago but it actually made my OCD worse. It wasn't modified for OCD and I struggle now to find a therapist I can afford that knows how to properly modify therapy for Pure-O.

Really disheartening, but I've come to the conclusion that I'll have to work on it alone.
I'll definitely check out this book. Thank you.

L

LokiPokey75

I'm sorry you've struggled so much with finding help, OBO. I hope this book at least can give be a step in the right direction.

Pure O can be a tough road to follow. Good luck finding a method that works for you! You deserve to be free of this.