• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Pure-o OCD or Bi-polar disorder?

R

ReinventLove

I've been having horrible intrusive thoughts since about sixth grade, so it's been about three, almost four years now. Sometimes they're graphic, and other times it's just random insults to friends. I have this stupid fear that people can hear what I'm thinking, which just makes it worse. I have no desire to actually take action on the thoughts, they just randomly happen until I'm completely focused on suppressing them. I also tend to obsess over thinks I've said to people, sometimes for hours, worrying about whether they thought I came off as creepy, or worry if I should have said something a different way. I also get random depressive episodes, where I lose motivation to do literally anything. I have this fear that Im somehow faking it, and that for some reason I subconsciously want a mental illness. I've been having suicidal thoughts and have been self-harming lately, and I think I really need to tell my parents. I'm just scared they won't understand, or will just brush me off. I need to know that my symptoms are valid before I tell them, and I need an idea of what I have so I can get properly diagnosed. I realize a professional will most likely be able to identify the symptoms, I just want to be sure.

Last edited:
Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi ReinventLove and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear that you are suffering so. I think, if your symptoms are causing you such concern, that they're valid enough already. Talk to your parents if you can and stress how worried you are.

As far as diagnosis goes, it's best to leave that completely to the professionals. You don't need to have something in mind to get properly diagnosed. All I can say, based on what you've said, is that it doesn't sound like bipolar disorder to me.

You really do need to ask for help if you're feeling suicidal at times. Don't let this go on. Also, please try to distract yourself when you feel the urge to self-harm.

I hope you manage to talk to your parents.

Take care and stay safe. :hug1:

G

Garibaldi1

I've had similar thoughts in terms of worrying that I'm faking it/subconsciously wanting a mental illness. It's easy for me to says its a load of bollocks now but harder for you to accept due to you not being "labelled" with anything yet...believe me, you have genuine mental health issues at the moment and that's all that matters in terms of the fact you need to get help. Try not to worry about how weird or different you may come across (again easy for me to say) to docs as they will simply try and help you the best they can, they are not there to judge you and there is nothing for you to be judged negatively upon as this is NOT your fault. You deserve help and support and I hope you get it (Y)

It sounds like some sort of mix between an obsessive disorder and depression (possibly one causing the other) but experts will know better...just thought I'd mention that in case you look back at this forum, so you know it is definitely a real condition you need to get supported with, I 100% know you are not making it up, as much as the obsessions are trying to convince you that you are (bastards those obsessions!)

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B Pure OCD and reputation damaged. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
R Horror ocd pure Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
K Beating OCD, Intrusive Thoughts, PURE-O and everything in between Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
J Worsening of ocd 'pure o' Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 12
D Pure ocd - in need of some support/guidance… Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 31
B Brutal self talk with pure O OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
B Girlfriend with Pure OCD - Please help!!! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
L Pure OCD and problems with guilt. Sexuality problem Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
N My Pure O and sensorimotor OCD experience Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
B Pure ocd ruining my life Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
L No more pure ocd Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
O Pure ocd is crippling me... Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
J Could I Have Pure O OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
P My Tips on Overcoming Pure-OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
W Pure 'O' OCD - a problem with moving on with a life of sorts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
D Need some answers on combating OCD/Pure O Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
K Religious Pure OCD, tips? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
O Could I have pure O OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
N How i OVERCAME pure OCD , Success Story. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
O My SUCCESSFUL story of how i overcame PURE OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B Pure o ocd and medication Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
M Pure-O OCD... Harm Obsession / Bad Intrusive Thoughts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 13
M Pure O OCD help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 10
A Help me in serious pain!suffering from pure o ocd !! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
D Acceptance of OCD/pure O thoughts? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
L Curious about Pure-O OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
L Pure OCD - Terrible Spike? Please help! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
M Pure O OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
F Pure OCD: a rude awakening Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B Help, I don't think this is normal for pure o ocd Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 10
J Is this pure-o,ocd,or something else please read Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
H Pure O - Convinced there is a demon Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
J My Pure O story and am I the only one? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
J Intrusive Pure O Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
J Pure o fearful thoughts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
L New to Forum and looking for help with Pure O Contamination....life is tough Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
L Really struggling pure O getting worse Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 18
J Fluoxetine and Pure O Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
OddballOut Pure-O Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
B Pure O and recovery. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B Double isolation with pure O and corona. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
T When will this stop? Pure O Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
D What are you supposed to do after facing Pure O fears? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
A Pure O or am I crazy? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
J Pure-O about 'showing off' Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
P pure o Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
B pure o Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
P I have pure O and I have a question Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
C Pure O help needed! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
R Pure O and emptiness Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2