• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Puppy bringing up anxiety

S

Sportsgal

Hello there...
Need to vent a little. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety about 3 years ago. Went in Lexipro as well as attending therapy sessions and both really helped. About a year ago, tapered off the Lexipro completely and eventually stopped therapy. For the last year things have been going well. And then we got a puppy last week. I thought I could handle it, but my anxiety is back in full force, I am having anxiety attacks quite a bit. Can't really eat much and not I really wanted this dog, thought it would be great for the kids. But the reality is quite different. Husband helps out a lot. But the care is really falling to me during the day. I feel awful for bringing this poor dog into my home. I feel awful that my kids are attaching to the dog and I want to get rid of it. I feel awful that my daughter has started showing signs of an allergy and I will use it as an excuse to get rid of puppy. I can't believe a 15lb puppy has brought me back to the worst part of my anxiety and no idea what to do. I really do 't want to go back on meds and I think besides the dog, everything else in life is ok. But for some reason this is driving me to the brink. Thanks for the help and listening.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi and :welcome: to the forum.

A puppy is such hard work and you will really need to be prepared for one. If it helps, my friend behind my back brought me a Puppy for my birthday, lucky for me I found out before. It broke my heart but I had to say no because at the moment I need to concentrate on myself and keeping myself ok.

Anyway. Maybe if your daughter has a allergy it might be a blessing in disguise? Have you talked to your husband about how you are feeling since you got the Puppy?

Marliee x

S

Sportsgal

Hi Marliee,
Thanks for your post. I have spoken to my husband...he supports me and whatever I want to do. I just feel such guilt...along with the anxiety and the feeling that I was so stupid for doing this, it's just eating me up inside. I just thought I was in such a good place to do this. Now I feel like I've been knocked off my feet.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sometimes we need to test these things out to see whether you are ready.

If you do choose to give the Puppy away please don't feel like a failure cause you won't be at all.

x

catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think if you are doing most of the looking after and you didn't really want the puppy it is kindest to rehome the puppy for all concerned. A dog is a huge responsibility. Maybe you aren't ready yet to take this on, it doesn't mean you will always feel this way.
Just please rehome your dog responsibly, ie not for free, blue cross, dogs trust can help.x

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoonChild84 Anxiety Forum 4