• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Punctuality = Disrespect?

dollylama

dollylama

Founding Member
I have a HUGE problem concerning punctuality. It's not laziness-related because say I was supposed to be meeting someone at 8am in the morning, I'd probably get up at around 5:30-6:am.

Unfortunately, I don't ever get anywhere on time. I never really cared about it much because I believed that it's just part of who I am (i.e. if I arrive earlier than my friend then I will be the one who has to wait, so I'd rather them wait than me).

Recently, I've spoken to 2 people about this problem of mine and they believe that people who aren't punctual simply don't respect the person they are supposed to meet. If I arrive late to my classes it also means I don't respect them.:unsure:

How true is this? I didn't really know this before, as I never really associated punctuality with respect.

Since I'm sociophobic, a friend of mine told me that my lack of punctuality could be related to fear as well.

I really want to be a punctual person, I don't want anyone around me to feel disrespected.

Please help! Anyone in here does well where punctuality is concerned? Can you please share tips on how to get somewhere on time (again, laziness is not the issue as I don't have a problem getting up).

Thanks so much!:flowers:

S

Summer

I think it depends on the person you are meeting. Some people might be very laid-back and won't mind if you're late, others are very time-conscious and will see it as being disrespectful, especially if they have other things to do that day.

I guess it also depends on how you explain it to them, if you apologise and blame it on traffic, they'll understand and not mind. If you rock up an hour late and not say a word, it will seem quite rude.

For me, it stresses me out if someone I am meeting is late, I get really ansty and panicky. Usually because I think they're letting me down, or they don't care, or simply because I spent hours (literally) getting ready to meet them and be on time, and they haven't shown up. But that's part of my problem, not to say most people are like that!

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

I do find people who are constantly late disrespectful and rude i'm afraid. I leave extra early myself to make sure i'm always on time but that's just me.

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
I'm an arrive-early girly. I do get offended if people are late (without good reason) - it does feel like disrespect to me. I feel like if I really mattered to them they would be there on time.

A

Apotheosis

I make sure that I arrive on time & am punctual - if I say I will be somewhere, will do something; then I do so. I don't think that there is much excuse for messing people around by turning up late. I know people that do it, & it annoys the hell out of me.

S

*Sapphire*

If I am going to an event like a party then I don't mind being a bit late and i'm sure others don't too, if everyone arrives all at once it does make it hard for the hosts to have a chat with everyone!

However if I am meeting someone on my own or going to a timed event like a meal or outing etc then yes I make the effort to be punctual, if not early.

I also do find it disrespectful if I have asked people to meet at a certain time and they are late. Especially if I am on my own, or cooking a meal. It makes me feel like they don't care about the fact that I am waiting on my own, or the meal is ruined due to their lateness.

However in saying that, it is one of the biggest arguments my husband and I have, because he really does not mind being late and very often is. He has no sense of urgency. Therefore I have become late too, which gets my goat, and we spend the whole journey arguing about this! It has got to the point where I lie to him about what time we have to be there and make it an hour earlier, and I have also set the alarm clocks in the bedroom ealier without him noticing so he gets to work on time! :D

dib4uk

dib4uk

With me, I'm late for most things- I cant help it. I think I've left myself enough time to get to a place be it college, work, meeting friends, apointments...

Sometimes its the busses, sometimes its my direction- and I get lost alll the time.