• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Public speaking anxiety linked with childhood trauma?

M

Mais

Hi everyone! I'll try to make it short

I grew up in France and was bullied there back in primary school. As a result I kinda closed myself off from people and became very 'cold' even though it's not my real personality. I started learning other languages (including English) to find my true self back and find that sense of belonging I didn't really feel while growing up. I then got the opportunity to go to an international high school in France and met very open-minded people from all around the world and my mind started associating English with tolerance and 'freedom'. Learning languages was like a rebirth for me because it allowed me to 'start again from scratch'. I regained the self-confidence that had been destroyed by years of bullying... but this is only when I speak a language that is NOT French.
Even though French is my native tongue, I realize there are things I want to say but cannot due to the childhood trauma. Before opening my mouth in France, I anticipate all the criticism and the negative looks of people and start panicking.
I am much more confident and feel free to express my views in English even though I am not a native speaker.

How can I get over this?

I am 18 now and in a little less than a year, I will have crucial oral exams (in French) as part of the entry requirements for business schools. I didn't really think of this as a problem since I had somehow learnt to live with the trauma... But now the trauma is getting between me and my dreams.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
That is very interesting and not something i have heard of before. Surely you are you, no matter what language you speak in. The French and English, are they that different? I know two French families and they seem very nice, if a little more formal, although that is only two families!

Bullying must have been hard, i did not experience that either. Were you quiet and nervous growing up also? I would rather have been bullied than have been a bully. Did you ever react to the bullies verbally or physically or just internalise it all?

M

Mais

French and English are definetely different but I think it's more related to the cultures they carry. In my opinion, in France there is a huge emphasis on conformity and so everything that stands out (in a good or a bad way) is frowned upon. The weight of history is heavy in Europe whereas I think that the American identity is 'broader' in the sense that it accepts people from very different backgrounds (Asian-Americans sare Asian AND American for example). In France, you often have to give up parts of who you are in you don't want to be treated as an outsider.
I think I've always been reserved and very 'aware' of the outside world if I can put it that way. From a very very young age, I was extremely cautious with the words I used so as not to hurt people... As years went by, my shyness made me become quiet. Instead of opening up to people after getting to know them, I only opened up to people who appeared trustworthy. After being stabbed in the back numerous times i couldn't trust people anymore so I stopped talking since it seemed useless anyway.
I never ever reacted to bullies. It might sound stupid, but I was always scared of hurting their feelings so I never said anything even though they were in the wrong. I internalized all of their negative words which is why, I think, it had such an impact on me and my sense of self-worth .