• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Public speaking anxiety linked with childhood trauma?

M

Mais

Hi everyone! I'll try to make it short

I grew up in France and was bullied there back in primary school. As a result I kinda closed myself off from people and became very 'cold' even though it's not my real personality. I started learning other languages (including English) to find my true self back and find that sense of belonging I didn't really feel while growing up. I then got the opportunity to go to an international high school in France and met very open-minded people from all around the world and my mind started associating English with tolerance and 'freedom'. Learning languages was like a rebirth for me because it allowed me to 'start again from scratch'. I regained the self-confidence that had been destroyed by years of bullying... but this is only when I speak a language that is NOT French.
Even though French is my native tongue, I realize there are things I want to say but cannot due to the childhood trauma. Before opening my mouth in France, I anticipate all the criticism and the negative looks of people and start panicking.
I am much more confident and feel free to express my views in English even though I am not a native speaker.

How can I get over this?

I am 18 now and in a little less than a year, I will have crucial oral exams (in French) as part of the entry requirements for business schools. I didn't really think of this as a problem since I had somehow learnt to live with the trauma... But now the trauma is getting between me and my dreams.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
That is very interesting and not something i have heard of before. Surely you are you, no matter what language you speak in. The French and English, are they that different? I know two French families and they seem very nice, if a little more formal, although that is only two families!

Bullying must have been hard, i did not experience that either. Were you quiet and nervous growing up also? I would rather have been bullied than have been a bully. Did you ever react to the bullies verbally or physically or just internalise it all?

M

Mais

French and English are definetely different but I think it's more related to the cultures they carry. In my opinion, in France there is a huge emphasis on conformity and so everything that stands out (in a good or a bad way) is frowned upon. The weight of history is heavy in Europe whereas I think that the American identity is 'broader' in the sense that it accepts people from very different backgrounds (Asian-Americans sare Asian AND American for example). In France, you often have to give up parts of who you are in you don't want to be treated as an outsider.
I think I've always been reserved and very 'aware' of the outside world if I can put it that way. From a very very young age, I was extremely cautious with the words I used so as not to hurt people... As years went by, my shyness made me become quiet. Instead of opening up to people after getting to know them, I only opened up to people who appeared trustworthy. After being stabbed in the back numerous times i couldn't trust people anymore so I stopped talking since it seemed useless anyway.
I never ever reacted to bullies. It might sound stupid, but I was always scared of hurting their feelings so I never said anything even though they were in the wrong. I internalized all of their negative words which is why, I think, it had such an impact on me and my sense of self-worth .

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D My anxiety is through the roof Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
Y Anxiety over tongue and throat sensations Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
B Anxiety legs Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
S Upset Stomach Anxiety - anyone else experience this? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
L Is Anxiety pain real?? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
L My anxiety/panic experience Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 23
S Meditation for Anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
Daybreak Anybody try self-message and/or essential oils for anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 7
D Feeling cold because of anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
H Bedridden for over a week with severe anxiety/panic post COVID infection Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
pjb15201 Increased panic and anxiety since pandemic rules lessened ? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 9
T Anxiety attack experiences Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
Scg Anxiety physical symptoms Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 21
F Anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 12
S Anxiety when circumstances suddenly change Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
S Stomach cramps with anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
S Anxiety = stomach problems and IBS Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 12
Darwin the fish Weakness in arms and anxiety attacks Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
S Is it possible to fix this anxiety / depression? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
Tawny Helping yourself with your anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 0
MrBond007 Anxiety attacks over things that are completely normal for no reason. +Depression Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
S Tremors and muscle trembling from anxiety? Sad and scared! Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
B Anxiety Hypochondriasis and Agoraphobia Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 7
R Crippling anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 47
R Severe anxiety triggered by my children’s health Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
R The Difficulties of Anxiety and Depression Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8
R Anxiety through the roof Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4
S Differentiating Anxiety and Attention Deficit Disorder- Inattentive Type Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
Midnight.Panda Bad anxiety about everything Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8
J Who to talk to about my anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
K I feel so alone with anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
M Broken glass Anxiety, please help Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
B Acute anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
FloofyPuppers Pristiq for Anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
dogmom Anxiety is back. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
T Abandonment issues/separation anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
S Does anyone get Physical Symptoms due to anxiety. Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 41
I Healthy anxiety anybody have cherry angiomas Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3
Jam1990 Generalized Anxiety that leads to paranoia Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
J Am I the only one on the planet or do others also experience occasional pain in heart for a second, centre of chest with ecotpics with anxiety? ? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 5
L Please help me, I reached breaking point again. (VERY LONG TW:ANXIETY, SUICIDE, DPD) Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
E This anxiety right now is silly Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8
G I have a cure for anxiety think I can help you IMO Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 15
G Anxiety in my chest feels like a craving Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 11
Faith198 When did you realize you were suffering with anxiety? Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 17
S do i have anxiety Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 2
A Anxiety is suffocating me... Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1
S Anxiety and what it feels like to you Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 6
S Anxiety and eye floaters Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 34
H Anxiety ruining my days Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 4