PTSD 'should be viewed as a systemic disorder'

F

firemonkee57

Written by Honor Whiteman April 3 2017

A new study finds that adults with post-traumatic stress disorder are much more likely to experience sleep disorders, gastrointestinal problems, cardiovascular diseases, and numerous other health conditions. As such, researchers say that post-traumatic stress disorder should be considered a systemic disorder, as opposed to just a psychological condition.
PTSD 'should be viewed as a systemic disorder' - Medical News Today

The closest I came to a PTSD experience was in relation to a train journey taking a child my wife and I were looking after back to her mother. When we got to the end station it was hard to open the carriage door I was in the process of getting us out as the door opened when the train started to move. I literally had to hurl us onto the platform. It was a scary experience which still sends a cold shiver down me when the memory resurfaces every now and then even 25 years or more later.

Last edited:
cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Very extreme sates of mind / experiences that can come under psychosis / schizophrenia, combined with the reaction / response of services - arrests / sections / forced treatment, i think can cause PTSD.

i find it very difficult to let go of a very severe psychosis / very extreme state of mind / state & hospitalisation at the age of 17 & everything that was involved. It was over 27 years ago, feels like it was yesterday, & goes round & round in my head a lot.

i don't know what the solution / resolution is to some of these experiences?

The label / diagnosis & how / what is presented / postcode differences also seem to greatly vary what treatment will be offered / can be accessed.

Why is it also seen differently what the context is for the cause of PTSD?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Why is it also seen differently what the context is for the cause of PTSD?
It's a good question.
Unless you've been a 'hero' in the army, I don't think PTSD is taken seriously at all. :unsure:

I also resent the fact that Complex-PTSD isn't really recognised here in the UK. It would save a lot of people - like myself - being wrongly labelled as having a personality disorder, if it were recognised as a legitimate thing to have.

Perhaps services don't want to acknowledge their role in the re-traumatisation of their patients?

I'm sorry to hear about all the shite inflicted in you, cpu.
I don't know what to say to make it better, other than I hope all the people working in mental health who have caused people in their care to suffer, rot in hell.

As for the original post, I agree that it's totally a systemic thing.
Sleep problems, gastrointestinal issues, fibromyalgia, eczema - I put all of those things down to the trauma i've experienced and being triggered.

NicoretteGummed

NicoretteGummed

Bang on Scorpio, good post.

I personally feel that my real problem is PTSD induced by severe bullying at school followed by horrific Psychedelic drug experiences.

They insist it's Schizo-affective Disorder though whatever that really means??? :unsure: