• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

PTSD or BIPOLAR ?

C

Clearmind

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone else has wondered whether their diagnosis was mixed up. It seems that PTSD and Bipolar disorder have some over lap.Im diagnosed bipolar but have often wondered whether it was really stemming from PTSD or cPTSD. I will be talking with my Doc but just thought I’d ask if anyone experienced similar questions. How can you do a personal check to determine the difference?
I’m pretty sure my diagnosis of BP1 is correct but maybe there is an additional ptsd diagnosis? Idk it’s complicated 🤔

T

timing

I am diagnosed with ptsd and bipolar. My main symptoms are easily startled, nightmares and flashbacks especially in dreams. I have never related ptsd to my bipolar. For me, they overlap when I am headed down from a manic episode. These symptoms have also happened while not in a bipolar crisis.

C

Clearmind

I am diagnosed with ptsd and bipolar. My main symptoms are easily startled, nightmares and flashbacks especially in dreams. I have never related ptsd to my bipolar. For me, they overlap when I am headed down from a manic episode. These symptoms have also happened while not in a bipolar crisis.
That’s helpful. I think it’s just an overlap because I can definitely distinguish mania/psychosis/depressive swings I wasn’t sure if ptsd triggered those symptoms. I just never really addressed the ptsd because everything kind of blends together and those major episodes have been more of what has been needed to manage.

K

keith74

PTSD can be a major trigger for bipolar and hence it can seem to overlap. If there is specific past trauma that triggers a severe negative emotional response, that is PTSD. If you can hit a mood swing without the PTSD trigger (like getting manic because you were super busy and didn't get a lot of sleep, etc) then that would be just the bipolar...

AppleJacks88

AppleJacks88

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I never received a diagnosis for PTSD, but I also am very easily startled. I get really angry when someone sneaks up on me, and hate loud noises. I used to have nightmares since I was little, mostly of snakes biting me, but I don't dream anymore, or I just don't remember. This is an interesting thread, because I'm curious too...