• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

PTSD/OCD Depression treatment

lyma

lyma

Hello all, i'm quite new here. I suffer from a depression with obsessive thoughts induced by some traumatic events in my ex-relationship. I'm very reluctant takign medication but felt like i had to give in, since many other therapies/treatments woulnd't work (classical therapy, meditation and many alternative therapies) and my mental health got worse and worse. I'm taking Sertraline now and kind of feel a bit like i have failed....i've just started a couple of days ago.
I want to make the best out of it though. I've been prescribed up to 200mg for the next 9 months. What suggestions do you have, how can i make the most out of it? In my mind this drug is just fighting symptoms (which i'm thankful for atm) but doesn't solve the underlying issue (for example process certain situations). How do i process the trauma i've experienced, how do i move on with my life? How do i learn from what i've experienced? So many questions....i appreciate your help, ideas, thoughts or whatever :D <3

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
How is the Sertraline going?

Many people find it very effective in treating their depression and for some other problems too. It takes 2-6 weeks to 'work' so give it time.

Make sure you rest lots and take good care of yourself :)

I have been to Basel, i went to Zurich and Zug too. I would have loved to have travelled up north, is that were the pretty places are like Lausanne? I have probably spelt that wrong.

It is a beautiful country

Processing trauma, there are many theories but personally i find letting time pass and during that time, avoiding stress, living a healthy lifestyle, good friends to talk to (or a counsellor), and being very kind to yourself. Not overwhelming yourself or putting yourself under too much pressure.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
lyma

lyma

Thank you so much for your reply. It is going well so far. The painful thought patterns are already a bit muted, but i feel they're slowly coming back. I feel very ill sometimes and cannot sleep as long as i used to. I still feel somehow physically on edge/shake but internally calm...that's a weird feeling. It somehow really feels like on drugs, or at least the first couple of days, now i kind of feel a bit more normal again.

Oh i'm happy you went to Switzerland. Basel, Zug an Zürich are north. Lausanne is more south. Yes it is indeed quite beautiful, the nature is stunning, especially when you go hiking.

Thanks so much for your reply and the links.