• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

PTSD from hospital admissions?

E

emmaleemochizuki

I still have nightmares and flashbacks from when I was hospitalised.

It still haunts me especially when the idea of that was being brought up so much by CMHT the past two months.

I was repeatedly restrained, stripped, and secluded. It was horrible. Yes for my safety and others sake it probably was necessary but it was still traumatic. I was very often restrained by all male, and due to some other past experiences it triggered me a lot.

I felt very degraded and humiliated while treated under MH services. It was added trauma to what I already been through prior entering the system.

D

Daringdan

Bless you. My heart goes out to you. I hope you can think peaceful thoughts. I often use guided meditations to soothe my heart and mind but it can also be good, better even to find people to connect with for healing.

R

RockyMountainsGirl

I don't live in the U.K, but that is NOT humane treatment, and you are not the only person on this forum who has said that about the mental health system.

There have been other people on the forum who have complained about the system either in London or elsewhere in the U.K. You should get together and complain. What the other person described was really bad, and people are not getting help. They are getting hurt.

Are there mental health advocates you can complain to? These would be people in an organization who address mental health conditions and mistreatment.

I saw a couple of psychologists who messed up my head because they had no therapy skills, so it is difficult to find good help.

Is this an option for you to consider? Mental health conditions - Mental Health UK

You could also try to find a psychologist, as opposed to a psychiatrist, who can offer counseling to help you deal with the trauma. I have complex-PTSD, in part from childhood abuse, so I know you need a certain type of therapy for PTSD.

Dav

Dav

I still have nightmares and flashbacks from when I was hospitalised.

It still haunts me especially when the idea of that was being brought up so much by CMHT the past two months.

I was repeatedly restrained, stripped, and secluded. It was horrible. Yes for my safety and others sake it probably was necessary but it was still traumatic. I was very often restrained by all male, and due to some other past experiences it triggered me a lot.

I felt very degraded and humiliated while treated under MH services. It was added trauma to what I already been through prior entering the system.
I feel the same and they still haven’t taken me of section 3 so I get terrified they will section me again. They would have like 6 huge men and also women taking me I wasn’t violent but it was demeaning

R

RockyMountainsGirl

The people who restrain patients may actually be security guards or peace officers. I wonder if they are assuming that everyone who enters is a drug addict? Often the treatment of people who struggle with an addiction is less kind, even though it shouldn't be. A friends works in the mental health wards of hospitals in my city. He's a peace officer or security person who is trained to restrain people with mental illnesses. As part of his training, he had to watch this Ted Talks video by a woman living with schizophrenia who complained about her treatment. My friend said he had to watch the video because it teaches peace officers to be respectful, caring, kind, and gentle. If you can't open the link, visit Ted Talks on YouTube and search for "Elyn Saks: A Tale of Mental Illness from the Inside." Place this in Google search:
A tale of mental illness -- from the inside

W

WH433

I was having nightmares and flashbacks from my hospital stay too, they eased off a bit with time. I never tried to hurt anybody but I was treated like crap. Assertive treatment they say, abusive treatment I say. I put in a complaint but they gave me a crap response, I was going to go higher up but I have to think of my own future and career before upsetting these people. Security were nasty to me, and the nurses not much better. I wish things were better, sorry you've had to go through that too.