• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

PTSD - EMDR

A

Anxlanx

Hi, I’m wondering if you can help I’ve been referred today for EMDR but believe the waiting list is quite long - I was wondering if anyone here has had it and what your experiences of it are ?

Did it work?

W

Wanttofeelpeace5

Hi, I’m wondering if you can help I’ve been referred today for EMDR but believe the waiting list is quite long - I was wondering if anyone here has had it and what your experiences of it are ?

Did it work?
I found it brilliant .my psychologist said he wasn't sure why it worked but just knew it had great results . Still a lot of study going into it but after 6 sessions I felt I'd gone up another level . It is now part of my coping mechanisms and I am booked in for another session in 2 weeks . Hopefully we are at level 2 by then . Good luck I highly recommend it

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
My daughter had it for childhood abuse and she found it helpful. But she found that DBT was the best for her

A

Anxlanx

I found it brilliant .my psychologist said he wasn't sure why it worked but just knew it had great results . Still a lot of study going into it but after 6 sessions I felt I'd gone up another level . It is now part of my coping mechanisms and I am booked in for another session in 2 weeks . Hopefully we are at level 2 by then . Good luck I highly recommend it

What do you mean by the levels?

W

Wodin789

I tried EMDR and I understand the basis for it. But you almost have to resolve every event, and some are buried so deep you never find them.

W

Wanttofeelpeace5

Yes . I hear what you are saying . To be fair I had been with my therapist for a year before he started it so he had quite a lot of starting points to work with .

D

Delphinium8

I was going to try this with my last therapist, but then we couldn't really because of quarantine where I live, and then she moved away. We did do sort of a test run, though. Instead of using a traumatic memory, she told me to pick something that felt unpleasant but not traumatizing. That memory and a few others directly connected to it actually did stop feeling significantly unpleasant afterward. It's like I remember what happened and how I used to feel about it, but if I think about it now there's almost no emotion attached to that event at all.

I'd still like to see if it helps with actual traumas, but I don't know if I'll be able to find another therapist who both does EMDR and takes my insurance.